Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
TexasMelanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Moving to an RV - May Give Up Cloth

We've been CDing since about day 6. We used prefolds and covers until she was about 12 weeks and have been using flats and covers ever since. I love it and am so proud that we've stuck it out. Even last winter when we had no water, I only had to use two disposables when I finally ran out of the diapers.

Now it looks like we are probably going to move into a large RV and live in that for about three years while we relocate, find a house, etc.

If DD is not potty trained by that point, i'm really, really tempted to just go to disposables for the remainder of the time she's in diapers.

We would be going to a laundromat for our laundry and cloth diapers would be three paid loads just for washing. Plus finding a place to store the dirty diapers in the RV without causing stink would be hard, too.

At the same time, the thought of giving up now on CD makes me sad.

Just not sure which way to go.

Any thoughts?

Advertisement

Calming the Storm
TexasMelanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

There are small plug in washers you can buy and hook up to the sink like aome dishwashers. There are some ladies around here who used them so hopefully they'll pipe up.

Or you could hand wash in your tub or a bucket if you feel motivated. It's all old timey and a good workout if you do the plunger method. Lol.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:28 AM   #3
Nicolenutt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Moving to an RV - May Give Up Cloth

Since you already use flats, you could give handwashing a try, but I say do what's going to work best for you, and if it's sposies then so be it. Good luck with your move

Last edited by Nicolenutt; 11-13-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Nicolenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #4
nevergivingaway
Registered Users
seller

What about something like gdiapers?
ISO/IHA plus.... I will ALWAYS trade for yarn!
nevergivingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
FrozenBooty
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

The camp washer, bucket/plunger method is common up here in areas with limited water. If you washed daily with this method and hung them to dry in your RV shower it would be doable. Especially if you are staying somewhere with water hookup.

FrozenBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
Monaleigh27
Registered Users

Just think of the money you can save sticking it out with cd??? Is a laundromat a possibility?
Monaleigh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaleigh27 View Post
Just think of the money you can save sticking it out with cd??? Is a laundromat a possibility?
Sometimes laundromats can cost more than sposies. $6 to wash $3 to dry 3x weekly is $27 a week or $108 a month. Even my estimate on sposie costs for my family is less than this at an estimated cost of $100. A month. If you are better than me at couponing or don't mind cheapie diapers it can be much less.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

Last year I CD'd using prefolds and covers. We lived in an apartment with no washer/dryer and couldn't afford the multiple wash cycles at the laundromat. We also only visited the laundromat once a week.

What I did was handwash covers and hang dry as needed so we could keep reusing them throughout the week. For prefolds, I would spray off poo immediately and put them in the pail. Every other day I would hand wash them in a big bucket in my shower (let them soak, rinse, etc...) Then I'd hang them to dry. I didn't feel they were fully washed so I didn't use them again for the week but it helped prevent major stink and stains. It also prevented us from having to use multiple wash cycles in the laundromat washing machine since they were somewhat clean already. At the end of the week I would wash all the diapers and covers in the laundromat washing machine on hot with detergent and bleach. Then I'd dry them in the dryer. This way the diapers were getting washed a bit during the week but then having the major wash/dry once a week so we weren't spending so much money on the machines. I think it was like $2.75 a week to wash/dry. The handwashing was a lot of work but it was worth it as we saved so much compared to sposies.
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #9
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcrossTheUniverse View Post
Last year I CD'd using prefolds and covers. We lived in an apartment with no washer/dryer and couldn't afford the multiple wash cycles at the laundromat. We also only visited the laundromat once a week.

What I did was handwash covers and hang dry as needed so we could keep reusing them throughout the week. For prefolds, I would spray off poo immediately and put them in the pail. Every other day I would hand wash them in a big bucket in my shower (let them soak, rinse, etc...) Then I'd hang them to dry. I didn't feel they were fully washed so I didn't use them again for the week but it helped prevent major stink and stains. It also prevented us from having to use multiple wash cycles in the laundromat washing machine since they were somewhat clean already. At the end of the week I would wash all the diapers and covers in the laundromat washing machine on hot with detergent and bleach. Then I'd dry them in the dryer. This way the diapers were getting washed a bit during the week but then having the major wash/dry once a week so we weren't spending so much money on the machines. I think it was like $2.75 a week to wash/dry. The handwashing was a lot of work but it was worth it as we saved so much compared to sposies.
You were fortunate. Our local laundromat's cheapest washer is $1.75 oer load. It would only hold max 2 days worth of diapers. I would need to run at least 3 washers to do a weeks worth of diapers. Then our dryers are 25 cents for 7 minutes. So for a minimum of 30 minute dry time it would cost us per load another $1 but since I need 45 minutes to dry our regular clothes I imagine it would be an hour for prefolds or anything not flats. So would actually need $2. To dry x this tor all 3 loads I would need $6 to dry and $5.25 to wash. So $47 dollars monthly minimum for us if we do a prehand wash. Unless the prices have gone up since I last washed at our local laundromat. It may have since water costs went up in our area.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #10
OrangeBananas
Registered Users
Formerly: Savannah+6
seller
seller

I would give hand washing a try, and if it just didn't work, switch to sposies.

OrangeBananas is offline   Reply With Quote