Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Poppy(2yo) got her glasses today

She needs a +6 in one eye and +9 in the other. I am so glad that we took her, the doctor said that most people do not realize their children need glasses until between 7-10. I feel bad already that she has been barely seeing for 2 years.

PP-We did find those at Walmart. We are blessed to have insurance this time around after paying for many pairs for the other kids out of pocket. Walmart was one of the only local places that had frames small enough for her. The selection was not huge but I was happy with those. I usually pay close to $300 per pair so I was willing to go with those. To be honest even the fancy optical places have a lame selection for kids.

Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #12
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermommy1 View Post
I remember the day I got glasses like it was yesterday. I was somewhere around 7 maybe. Anyway I remember how hard it was to walk (mine were and are very strong too) and I couldn't believe the trees had individual leaves because before they all ran together!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art mama View Post
She is adorable! That's the one thing I've told everyone about getting glasses is the tree have leaves! I got them in fifth grade and mine are strong too.
Yes! This was my first comment getting glasses as well. I was ten, and I remember it vividly. My mother cried, she felt terrible that I had such bad vision the entire time and no one knew. I thought you could only see individual leaves in pictures or people drew it that way as an exaggeration.

ETA - OP she is super cute. Those are some classy glasses!
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #13
allisonmartin
Registered Users
seller
seller

She is so cute!!! I wish the glasses I had when I was 2 looked like that. Mine were gigantic and the arms went all the way around my ears and people always thought I had earrings, because the ends of the glasses were shiny.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #14
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

How cute!!! My niece got hers last year when she was 3 and it was so adorable seeing her big beautiful eyes so clearly!
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #15
Kmccall08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post
She needs a +6 in one eye and +9 in the other. I am so glad that we took her, the doctor said that most people do not realize their children need glasses until between 7-10. I feel bad already that she has been barely seeing for 2 years.

PP-We did find those at Walmart. We are blessed to have insurance this time around after paying for many pairs for the other kids out of pocket. Walmart was one of the only local places that had frames small enough for her. The selection was not huge but I was happy with those. I usually pay close to $300 per pair so I was willing to go with those. To be honest even the fancy optical places have a lame selection for kids.
My husband and I were just talking about this the other day. We saw a young child with glasses and I said I wonder how the parents even realized the child needed glasses so young. What made you realize? She is super cute btw

Last edited by Kmccall08; 12-13-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Kmccall08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #16
thealmightyme
Registered Users
seller
seller

How do you get her to leave them on? My little ones won't even keep a hat on their heads?
thealmightyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #17
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Eeee! She is way too cute. She looks so darn sweet, like she could never do any wrong.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #18
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmccall08 View Post
My husband and I were just talking about this the other day. We saw a young child with glasses and I said I wonder how the parents even realized the child needed glasses so young. What made you realize? She is super cute btw
We have 2 other children also with vision issues(thank you DH's DNA). When DD2 was about 2yo we noticed her eye crossing pretty badly so we took her to the opthamologist. While we were there the doctor asked if I would let my kids be in a study he was doing. Part of the compensation was an eye exam. When we had the exam it turned out that DS who was 4yo had something called ambliopia which means his vision was so bad(only in one eye) that his brain just turns the images from the eye off. They both wear glasses and have for 5 years. When they were at their check-up I asked their doctor when Poppy should come since already 2 of our older kids have glasses and he said 2yo unless we noticed crossing. I was shocked about how bad her vision is. I am expecting now and he said we need to bring this baby by 18mo.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #19
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmightyme View Post
How do you get her to leave them on? My little ones won't even keep a hat on their heads?
I was a little worried about that. Our older daughter got glasses when she was just two also but she always liked hats and bows. Poppy has a very independent spirit Plus the doctor told us to expect some resistence because the script is so strong and that there would be a serious adjustment. We talked about it everyday since we went and ordered them over a week ago. I would ask her "what was she getting soon" "what do you do with your glasses" things like that. I think that kids are pretty smart and they realize that they can see so much better with the glasses. She was very willing to wear them.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #20
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

aw she's so sweet. What a good mama for taking such good care of her! I bet she is much happier being able to see better!
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote