Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Lazy eye and undescended testicle

Anyone have any experience with these things? Can you tell me what your experience was?

I'm freaking out. Yesterday my 6yo had a pediatrician checkup and they told me that he has a lazy eye (but it's very slight) and an undescended testicle. After finding out about his Aspergers Syndrome & trying to get him help for his speech impediment and stutter, I'm just a mess.

I (stupidly) Googled lazy eye and undescended testicle and now I'm worrying myself sick about it.

He will have an appointment with a urologist and a pediatric eye doctor soon but I'm hoping to hear from others before then, if possible.

Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Lazy eye and undescended testicle

Lazy eye can correct itself if slight by just print patch on good eye and making lazy eye work a but more.I would go to eye doctor because they mighT say wait like mine did.even though my eye probably isn't completely well used I avoided surgery. I knew people that dots have lazy eye though. Not know much on undescended testicle though..I heard that it can correct itself.it doesn't hurt him our anything....
Old 12-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have lazy eye. I did patching, but it didn't fix it. I had surgery at 18 months old, 3, and 22 years old for it. In the grand scheme of life...not a big deal at all. The surgeries were all done outpatient, and I was fine in a day or too.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

My son was just told he had slight lazy eye too. His ped. optomitirst is having him wear a patch on his glasses starting at 30 minutes a day. I'd try not to worry about it, it's usually easily corrected.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, ladies!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
loganzmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almacham View Post
Anyone have any experience with these things? Can you tell me what your experience was?

I'm freaking out. Yesterday my 6yo had a pediatrician checkup and they told me that he has a lazy eye (but it's very slight) and an undescended testicle. After finding out about his Aspergers Syndrome & trying to get him help for his speech impediment and stutter, I'm just a mess.

I (stupidly) Googled lazy eye and undescended testicle and now I'm worrying myself sick about it.

He will have an appointment with a urologist and a pediatric eye doctor soon but I'm hoping to hear from others before then, if possible.
My son had a undescended testicle he had surgery to fix at 1yrs old. When he was around 5 @ a follow up appt The Dr said that the undescended one had shrunk but he only needs one to reproduce WAY later in life. Lol The surgery itself was a outpatient procedure & they sent us home with Pain meds for him. Worst part for us was the waiting during the surgery & then when we were waiting on the meds to be filled & the ones from the hospital were Wearing off bc the pharmacy took forever! If he has to have surgery ask the hospital if they can go ahead & call in the meds so they will be ready when you get there instead if having to wait.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganzmama View Post
My son had a undescended testicle he had surgery to fix at 1yrs old. When he was around 5 @ a follow up appt The Dr said that the undescended one had shrunk but he only needs one to reproduce WAY later in life. Lol The surgery itself was a outpatient procedure & they sent us home with Pain meds for him. Worst part for us was the waiting during the surgery & then when we were waiting on the meds to be filled & the ones from the hospital were Wearing off bc the pharmacy took forever! If he has to have surgery ask the hospital if they can go ahead & call in the meds so they will be ready when you get there instead if having to wait.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I'll write down a note in my journal right now so I can remember to that, about the pain meds.

He has an appointment with the urologist early next month.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:28 AM   #8
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS had a slight lazy eye, he wouldn't keep a patch on so we got glasses for about 6 months and it fixed it.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:12 AM   #9
FrozenBooty
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
My 7 year old had bilateral strabismus surgery to fix lazy eyes. It's genetic in our family. Glasses did not correct it and you can't patch both eyes at once. Outpatient surgery no big issue for recovery.

He had both testicles that didn't descend also. First surgery was at 2 years to fix. Outpatient surgery and minimal issue for recovery just don't get to active or straddle stuff.

At 5 I took him for a second opinion with a pediatric urologist because 3 years later you still couldn't see a testicle just small empty shriveled sack. One had not properly taken to the surgery and so he had another surgery to bring it down.

At 7 you still can't see them but when he relaxes like in the bath you can see the dimpling where they are dropping.

Neither has had any long term effect they were fixed and he is great urologist will see him during puberty to address any long term hormonal effects and teach him how to palpate them or whatever. I don't have testicles I clearly don't 100% understand them.

FrozenBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much for your responses, ladies. I appreciate hearing about all of your experiences with these things! I feel a bit better about it now.