Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Pre-term labor at 19 weeks?

I've been SO uncomfortable for 3 days now (today is day 3). I am okay if I'm sitting, but still not comfortable. I just feel like my belly is SO tight. No pressure, change in discharge, bloody show, etc. Baby is still moving fairly often... seems to be positioned mostly on right side.

Anyway, I keep thinking I feel contractions, but I'm not entirely sure. My whole belly doesn't seem to get hard, but I definitely feel "harder" spots. Could this just be baby? The harder spots are definitely where baby is...

I feel kind of tight, and pressure in my belly, but none down there or anything. I can walk/talk through all of this, I'm just... not comfortable at all.

I have an appt. Tuesday, and I really don't want to go in unless I have to, and I just don't feel like it would do any good, because I won't be 20 weeks until Wednesday, so they wouldn't do anything right now anyway.

Can anyone relate/make me feel better? This is my fourth pregnancy.

Advertisement

leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pre-term labor at 19 weeks?

Feeling some contractions after 18 weeks is normal especially if you have had kids before. However, if you feel more than a couple an hour, or they are regularly spaced, you need to get checked out (better safe than sorry). Sometimes, contractions happen with change of position, dehydration, stress, or bladder infections. So make sure you drink plenty of fluids.

If you feel like something isn't "right", go and get checked out.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ive been feeling this way a lot with this pregnancy, and its usually when the baby is going through a growth spurt. My entire abdomen feels tight, with tighter spots where the baby is. B/c of all of the tightness/pressure, I tend to have more contractions during that time which is typically 2-4 days (although I contract a lot anyway). mama. Ill be thinking of you and hoping its benign.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymamaNY View Post
Feeling some contractions after 18 weeks is normal especially if you have had kids before. However, if you feel more than a couple an hour, or they are regularly spaced, you need to get checked out (better safe than sorry). Sometimes, contractions happen with change of position, dehydration, stress, or bladder infections. So make sure you drink plenty of fluids.

If you feel like something isn't "right", go and get checked out.
Definitely not more than a couple an hour. I'd say I felt 6, maybe 8, all day yesterday. Have only felt maybe 3 or so today so far. Not any regularity to them at all. The uncomfortable state is constant, never changing. I'm just constantly uncomfortable.

Definitely haven't been drinking as much as I should be, working on that now...
Old 12-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by amb2j View Post
Ive been feeling this way a lot with this pregnancy, and its usually when the baby is going through a growth spurt. My entire abdomen feels tight, with tighter spots where the baby is. B/c of all of the tightness/pressure, I tend to have more contractions during that time which is typically 2-4 days (although I contract a lot anyway). mama. Ill be thinking of you and hoping its benign.
I'm really thinking it is. TMI WARNING: I've tried to check my cervix, but I suck at it. Even with two fingers ALL the way up in there as far as I can reach, I can't feel anything. I would think if I were dilated/changing, I'd feel something, because my cervix would likely be lower, right? It seems to be pretty dang high.

And yes, what you described is EXACTLY what I am feeling. The more uncomfortable I am, the more of these "contractions" I seem to be having. When I am not uncomfortable really, I don't seem to have any at all. What is causing yours?
Old 12-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

I feel pretty uncomfortable right now also. It seems like the more the baby moves the more "contraction-like" my belly gets. I can feel the baby and where it is when that happens. But when I have a true contraction (Braxton Hicks) I can't feel the baby at all. This has happened with my other two children also so I'm not concerned, it's just some discomfort.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeweese View Post
I feel pretty uncomfortable right now also. It seems like the more the baby moves the more "contraction-like" my belly gets. I can feel the baby and where it is when that happens. But when I have a true contraction (Braxton Hicks) I can't feel the baby at all. This has happened with my other two children also so I'm not concerned, it's just some discomfort.
I wish I could just be okay with it. My whole uterus doesn't get hard, unless (TMI) I'm having an orgasm. It's just parts of my belly, which I've heard can happen with BH. But my problem is, I didn't think BH would happen this often, this early on. Ergh.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
And yes, what you described is EXACTLY what I am feeling. The more uncomfortable I am, the more of these "contractions" I seem to be having. When I am not uncomfortable really, I don't seem to have any at all. What is causing yours?
My midwives say its all of the sudden pressure on/in my uterus (from the growth spurt)that causes all of these annoying contractions. And, yes, the tightness makes me generally uncomfortable :-(. I mean, when my belly feels this way, any shift in movement can cause more tightness/a contraction :-(. I can sit okay (but feel tight and uncomfortable), but walking or doing any activity stinks lol. They ease up A LOT after a few days have passed and my uterus has a chance to stretch to accomodate this little girl better. And, I just tried a support belt yesterday (day 3 of tightness) and it helped A TON! Im feeling back to normal today, but know its only going to last until I have another growth spurt in a couple of weeks lol.

DS wasnt like this. He grew steadily, but she grows in spurts-UGH!

And...Im probably in the minority, but Im what my midwives call "an early contracter." Ive had contractions with her (and DS) since probably month 4 and they are VERY frequent and regular at times. Sometimes they are every 5-10 minutes for hours. They happen every.single.day. lol (but not that frequent unless its during a growth spurt)! But, if this were my first time getting these kind of contractions, Id DEF get them checked! But, since I know this is just how my body does pregnancy, I have to try to ignore them :-)

Last edited by amb2j; 12-14-2012 at 01:04 PM.
amb2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Definitely just had hardening at 4:11. Lasted about 20-30 seconds. It's 4:34 and nothing else so far... just feel super tight. Ugh. I hate this.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #10
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

My BH have been very intense. Evenly spaced (as close as 5 minutes for hours) and here I sit at 40w2d.

Stop stressing and get worried when they hurt. While there's someone who says they had contractions without pain/ it's not common and unlikely how it will be for you. BH are terribly common and normal. Once I told my midwife about mine she just said its often like that after once you've been preggo 3-4x. Anything can get them going.