Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #11
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Pre-term labor at 19 weeks?

I had something similar starting at 20ish weeks. I got a picture of it happening at 31 weeks.

Normal belly:

Baby moving belly:

My doctor said mine was just when the baby moved, parts of my belly would get really hard. He said to check the four quadrants, and if any of them were soft, it wasn't a contraction.

Advertisement

hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #12
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
My BH have been very intense. Evenly spaced (as close as 5 minutes for hours) and here I sit at 40w2d.

Stop stressing and get worried when they hurt. While there's someone who says they had contractions without pain/ it's not common and unlikely how it will be for you. BH are terribly common and normal. Once I told my midwife about mine she just said its often like that after once you've been preggo 3-4x. Anything can get them going.
I know that BH are normal. I also know that they can be painful sometimes.

My question is what is the liklihood of these contractions being pre-term labor? I've had them in the past, but the last three days have been horrible. Like I was saying, I would think if this were pre-term labor, something would have changed/happened by now, right? The ctx have been more frequent and much more noticeable today than the last two days. Do you think it's safe for me to wait until Tuesday until I go to my doctor?
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #13
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbee View Post
I had something similar starting at 20ish weeks. I got a picture of it happening at 31 weeks.

Normal belly:

Baby moving belly:

My doctor said mine was just when the baby moved, parts of my belly would get really hard. He said to check the four quadrants, and if any of them were soft, it wasn't a contraction.
You can definitely see that with mine, too. Baby definitely prefers the right side. Like, not just moving... but baby is 90% ON the right side. You can see the little "ball of baby."

There are definitely "areas" at times that aren't hard like the others, but then there are other times that I really can't tell... and what are the four quadrants?
Old 12-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #14
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
You can definitely see that with mine, too. Baby definitely prefers the right side. Like, not just moving... but baby is 90% ON the right side. You can see the little "ball of baby."

There are definitely "areas" at times that aren't hard like the others, but then there are other times that I really can't tell... and what are the four quadrants?
If I remember correctly, it's essentially you belly button in the middle. The lower are below the belly button, on the right and left, and likewise above the belly button. Often, three of four would be hard for me, and it was happening 8-10 times a day, often if I had to pee.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #15
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

You can call the on call doctor/midwife to see what they think though.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #16
leyash
Registered Users
seller

I think I am just going to leave it, honestly. I had one at 4:11, and nothing else since then, in over an hour... so I think I'm okay.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #17
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

sounds like normal braxton hicks to me.
If they're very uncomfortable, then you should work on drinking some more fluids, but some people will get uncomfortable ones even when well hydrated.

I get them all day long and have for quite awhile now. I'm just 23 weeks and I think I prolly started getting them all day long atleast a month ago - maybe more.

I generally notice because of the extra pressure on my bladder. My uterus only seems to contract on the bottom half - not the whole uterus.

I've been told that more than 6 in an hour is reason to worry, but other than that - it's just normal.

at my 22 week appt, they asked and I said 'just the normal BH' and all is well.

ETA: it's also likely that you're experiencing a baby growth spurt at the same time. They make us very uncomfortable for a few days until we're used to the new size and position of our uterus. My last one caused me some awful issues, but now my bump is bigger, seems a little higher and things are back to normal.

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 12-14-2012 at 07:43 PM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #18
leyash
Registered Users
seller

I'm so sore this morning. This stinks. Day 4. I actually felt good for the first few hours that I've been awake, and now I feel like I've had 3 ctx in the last 45-50 minutes or so. Of course, my whole uterus isn't getting hard, so I just don't know. Blah. I'm just going to wait until my appt. on Tuesday (unless something drastic happens) and talk to the OB about it. I just hope he doesn't shrug me off. That won't re-assure me at all.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #19
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash
I'm so sore this morning. This stinks. Day 4. I actually felt good for the first few hours that I've been awake, and now I feel like I've had 3 ctx in the last 45-50 minutes or so. Of course, my whole uterus isn't getting hard, so I just don't know. Blah. I'm just going to wait until my appt. on Tuesday (unless something drastic happens) and talk to the OB about it. I just hope he doesn't shrug me off. That won't re-assure me at all.
I still think you should discuss how stressed and anxious you are with your provider. You worry a lot momma and I know you feel it's mostly normal and it might be but it worries me with how much stress can do to your body. If you are constantly stressed over mostly normal events, there must be something that can do for you. I doubt you want to consider anxiety meds... But maybe it's worth a talk?

I'm sorry you've been going thru so much anxiety since the beginning every thread I read from you breaks my heart cause I can tell how anxious you are and no matter how much reassurance you get- its never enough to relax you.

Hugs mamma. If you are seriously worried, I strongly urge you to go in. People on the forum are not drs. And while we tell you out experiences, I don't think it helps your anxiety much

GL!!
Old 12-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #20
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
I still think you should discuss how stressed and anxious you are with your provider. You worry a lot momma and I know you feel it's mostly normal and it might be but it worries me with how much stress can do to your body. If you are constantly stressed over mostly normal events, there must be something that can do for you. I doubt you want to consider anxiety meds... But maybe it's worth a talk?

I'm sorry you've been going thru so much anxiety since the beginning every thread I read from you breaks my heart cause I can tell how anxious you are and no matter how much reassurance you get- its never enough to relax you.

Hugs mamma. If you are seriously worried, I strongly urge you to go in. People on the forum are not drs. And while we tell you out experiences, I don't think it helps your anxiety much

GL!!
There's nothing that could get rid of my anxiety, honestly. I am going to be anxious until this baby is born. After our loss in April and how traumatic it was for me, there is nothing that is going to make me relax about this. I only wish there was. My doctor won't be able to help with reassurance, really. I mean, yeah... he can check my cervix and tell me that everything is fine, but two weeks from now when I start having pains again, I'll wonder about it again. I just want to be at a "safe" point, where if I do have this baby early, I would be far enough along, God willing, to where this baby could live. Prematurity is now my new worry. What sucks the most is that I am only a few weeks off from the "safe" date of this little bean actually having a chance. That kills me. I just hope this isn't anything "real" and it's all normal BH crap.