Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
MyLovely
Registered Users

Any mamas here a librarian?

Well, I'm starting my MLIS in July! I'm extremely excited. I've been a long time lover of books and can't picture a better career.

Any librarian mamas? Which "type" do you do (archives, public, academic, medical, reference, etc)? Do you like it? Any advice to a newbie?

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Any mamas here a librarian?

Awesome! I think about going for my MLIS all the time. One of these days! I'm not a librarian (obviously), but my sister is a librarian. She just started her MLIS program in the fall, but since she already has her teaching credentials, she was able to be hired as a teacher librarian in her school district. She just transferred from the classroom to the library a few months ago and she loves it. After 10 years of teaching in the classroom, she was burned out. She is much happier now.

The only advice I have received from her is to definitely get your teaching credential first if you plan on being a teacher librarian at the elementary school level. At least in her district, getting a teacher librarian position is much easier with a lot of teaching experience and minimal library experience, than it is to get with a lot of librarian experience and no teaching experience. But that is a very specific position. If I ever manage to go back for my MLIS, I hope to pursue a science librarian position at the university level. But that will require not only the MLIS, but also another MS in a science field, so I've been procrastinating.

Which university are you going to (if that isn't too personal to ask)? Have you thought about what kind of librarian you would like to be?
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
MyLovely
Registered Users

I'm glad your sister is liking it! I'm not a teacher (B.A. in history and anthropology), but don't plan to be a school librarian so it won't be an issue. I'm thinking I'll either want to be a public librarian (children and young adult division) or an archivist, since that's the track that tends to appeal to those with a background in the humanities. In the future I'm thinking I'd like to get an additional masters (history), which would open the doors to working in academia as well
Old 01-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
LillyLee
Registered Users
seller

I'm an archivist at a university library. Don't have a history degree and had no archives or rare book experience classes while getting my MLS. I worked in a public library and hated it so I began volunteering for a local archiving society and after some time was able to move into my current job with the experience I had volunteering. I would say make lots of contacts and try out as many things as you can. I'm not sure where you are located but many county and city governments are cutting budgets like crazy for libraries because they just don't feel that they're a necessity.
LillyLee is offline   Reply With Quote