Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #11
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Should I just give up? :(

Have you considered rinsing in the tub? My sis gave me all her BG's because she hated her front loader. It took 13 rinses in my top loader to get all the suds out. they were perfect after that. it may at least get you back to square 1.

I also vote flats. So easy to use and wash. Flour sack towels are $1 (or less) each.

And I also heard about the delicate setting adding the most water...

Advertisement

mommaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Since I have such a small load I do a rinse with a short cold soak (figuring the most water) then I add an old bath towel so it uses more water and it seems to help. It doesn't sound like you are using very CD friendly detergent. I would recommend rockin green - or another detergent known to be very CD friendly and specifically made to deal with hard water. It might be a bit of an investment but just use it for the diaps and it should last a while - at least a yearish.

Sorry you are having such a hard time and that somene store your diapers... thats just odd.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #13
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn97 View Post
Then, I would try Tide. I prefer liquid but most mamas on here like the powder.
In general with hard water liquid detergent is best.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #14
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Flats would be easiest to wash.

I've read to not combine vinegar and hard water, it makes ammonia worse?

Washing soda could help a lot, it helped us a lot when other things didn't. It specifically addresses the sort of materials involved in diaper stink.

And Country Save detergent has water softeners and builders and doesn't cost as much per load as Tide. I'm so aggravated with people being told to use Tide to fix stink; it's so expensive and can cause its own problems. It was a nightmare for us. Country Save did great in an he (and you get 160 loads from a box).
Old 12-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #15
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrennaII View Post
Flats would be easiest to wash.

I've read to not combine vinegar and hard water, it makes ammonia worse?

Washing soda could help a lot, it helped us a lot when other things didn't. It specifically addresses the sort of materials involved in diaper stink.

And Country Save detergent has water softeners and builders and doesn't cost as much per load as Tide. I'm so aggravated with people being told to use Tide to fix stink; it's so expensive and can cause its own problems. It was a nightmare for us. Country Save did great in an he (and you get 160 loads from a box).

absolutely can! excellent point I should have made. but not always. and I don't have hard water but still don't think it works ( vinegar for me). that's one of those things you have to just try (if you feel like it)-- like just a couple in a bucket to see if it helps- or I use washing soda (but if you go to CS, that has a lot already so the pH is really high, so do in separate cycles). Works well for me but I never looked into why the alkaline/ alkaline worked. Maybe just removing detergent and not really effecting ammonia? Maybe someone else knows...

I did not have good luck with CS and had to finally switch after trying to make it work for a year. But its a good thing to try.

EDIT: was just thinking about this. I'd probably go with what TrennaII said on this. I bleach also (just did my yearly bleaching... in my case I think its a change in the water chemistry because it was a year ago I chose to also- but I could just be hopeful as we're smelling good (or nothing!) again with target pristine clean).

I'd also read on GMDs website. I always look to Karen when I need help.

Last edited by c&w's mama; 12-15-2012 at 08:09 PM.
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #16
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s

In general with hard water liquid detergent is best.
I have a whole house water softener so my water isn't hard. The powder always breaks DS out though.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #17
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I want to thank every one of you for your replies - wish me luck! I want to fix these diapers, today!
Old 12-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #18
Zanocz
Registered Users
seller

I am in the same boat! Darn FL!
Zanocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #19
mjdesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We have a front loader and use Charlie's. We have since my lo was born 5 months ago. We never have had problems but our washer has great agitation. We do a cold rinse and high spin then a hot wash/cold rinse cycle with an extra rinse. High spin again.

Sorry your having problems mama. What brand front loader do you have?
mjdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #20
nahrie
Registered Users

I had the same issue when I moved and ended up with a front loader. I tried everything. In the end, all that worked was switching to flats because they don't need as much water due to lack of layering. They have however worked beautifully. You could padfold or shove them in pockets if you don't like folding.