Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #11
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What do you think of the name...

I'd spell it like it sounds. Sorry. It's not really comparable to your name either since your name is spelled correctly (people are just silly). Now if your parent's spelled your name Eliza and then insisted it was 'al-ee-sa' it would be a similar situation. Rhine doesn't even give people the inkling of how its pronounced.

Other than the spelling I like it.

Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #12
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I could be totally wrong, but I think the name is welsh-female. The only children I know that go by "rain" are girls and that's what it makes me think of. If you like it, go for it though. I have a Riley, and although that's been used as a girl's name more as of late he's very much a boy.

or do you mean REIN, pronounced REEN in dutch/german? All my boys have irish/english type names to honor our heritage and for the most part dh and I had a difficult time finding names that most english speaking people wouldn't butcher.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 12-15-2012 at 01:06 PM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #13
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I like the name, not keen on the spelling
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #14
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

I think some people are confused. It's spelt Rhain not Rhine. Which, I, when looking at it would pronounce rain and is how I'd call my baby. I don't mind a little different spellings. My daughter's name is Kaela pronounced Kayla. I'm having such a hard time finding boy's names that I like. Also, since my daughter's name is a common name, it seems weird to go for an unusual name for the next one, but I prefer a little unusual names, my daughter's name was a special circumstance. Anyway, it might be on our short list.
Here's the meaning link
http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect..._of_Rhain.html
It's a welsh boy's name meaning lance/spear.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys

Last edited by chandni3; 12-15-2012 at 02:28 PM.
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #15
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandni3 View Post
I think some people are confused. It's spelt Rhain not Rhine. Which, I, when looking at it would pronounce rain and is how I'd call my baby. I don't mind a little different spellings. My daughter's name is Kaela pronounced Kayla. I'm having such a hard time finding boy's names that I like. Also, since my daughter's name is a common name, it seems weird to go for an unusual name for the next one, but I prefer a little unusual names, my daughter's name was a special circumstance. Anyway, it might be on our short list.
Here's the meaning link
http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect..._of_Rhain.html
It's a welsh boy's name meaning lance/spear.
you're right. I misread your post. I thought you wanted to spell it Rhine but pronounce it Rain and it was making me go
Old 12-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #16
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd possibly just spell it Rain (no E because that would feminize it to me). I would also pronounce it "rain" with the silent H in there too, though. I like it.
Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...
cheezpoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #17
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I like it!
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #18
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd leave it the Welsh spelled way. Since you aren't proposing naming your child after precipitation necessarily then I wouldn't spell it "rain". I actually like Rhain and where you got it from, but I dont necessarily like Rain (for my own kid, anyway). My DH would never go for it, though, he's a classics sort of guy.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #19
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:

Very close to my oldest daughter's name (Rhaynnon, which is a combo of Rain, Ray and Rhiannon) I don't know if I like it for a boy though, because it is really feminine. BUT if you like it, who am I to judge...
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #20
Mummandherboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I like it... and if you and your DH both like it...then that says something! When I first read it, I pronounced it "rain"...and I like the spelling Rhain...that's how I would spell it and still pronounce it "rain"...I do agree with others that I wouldn't spell it "Rain"...it's too much like the weather completely. But I think Rhain is cool...go for it!