Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
chickabiddy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
FF for 17 month old or back to infant seat?

My 17 month old is in a Britax convertible that is about to expire. I still have her infant seat that goes up to 30 pounds and a Britax Frontier. I really do not want to buy another convertible for her to use for 7 months. I know she can use it longer, but I bough the super expensive frontier for my son thinking that she would transition into it at two (when he is 6). He won't use it now. I also didn't realize his old seat would expire before then. She is well under the 30 pound limit on the infant seat.

Should I switch her back to the infant seat or should I put her in the frontier? Should I just buy a cheap convertible? She hates being RF. If her siblings aren't in the car she screams. I can only imagine what she'll do if I put her back in the bucket. I sometimes feel like a screaming baby is more of a danger at this point than a FF baby.

TIA

Advertisement

chickabiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: FF for 17 month old or back to infant seat?

A child under 2 cannot ride in a Frontier, period. Britax put that minimum age on there for a reason. I would also under no circumstances forward face a child under 2. It doesn't matter how expensive a seat is, if you don't use it according to the manufacturer's instructions, it may not protect your child the way it's supposed to and that is not worth any amount of money in the risk it poses to your child.

A $39 Scenera from Walmart used rear facing is going to provide better protection to your child than any forward facing seat, no matter how expensive.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Britax is VERY adamant that the Frontier is ages 2 and up. No way would I FF a 17 month old anyway, though.

I would get a convertible personally. At 17 months, she is probably beyond the height limit for the infant seat, even if she's under the weight. You must have one inch of shell left above the head. Scenara is $39 at Walmart.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What they said.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
ambivalent_amy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yep, I'd get an inexpensive convertible rather than the bucket. As others have said, the Frontier isn't an option.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
myoo
Registered Users

My Mood:

DS is definitely much too tall to use his bucket seat (and he's only 50%ile for height), although he is only 26 lbs, so I would bet that your daughter has outgrown hers as well. I would give a 3rd vote for the Cosco Scenera. We use one (rear-facing) as the seat in DH's car for our 21 month old son. It works great, is very safe, and you can't beat the fact that I paid $30 for it on sale.

I'm sure a screaming toddler is super stressful, but a 2007 study in the Journal of Injury Prevention showed that rear-facing toddlers under age 2 are 75 percent less likely to die or be seriously injured in a crash, and I'd rather put up with the screaming and feel confident that my child was safe. I don't think you will find anyone on this board who will say "sure, go ahead and FF her" or "sure, go ahead and use the Frontier even though she's too young for it."

I hope you find a good solution!
Old 12-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
chickabiddy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't realize she couldn't use the frontier.
I guess there's a trip to Target in out near future.
Thanks.
chickabiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:32 AM   #8
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

So it sounds like your son is 5 currently, and you said he "won't" ride in the frontier?

What is he riding in currently?
Old 12-31-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

Target doesn't carry the Scenera, Target has the cosco Apt it's 55.00 Walmart has the Scenera its 40.00
Old 12-31-2012, 11:07 AM   #10
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckerswife
Target doesn't carry the Scenera, Target has the cosco Apt it's 55.00 Walmart has the Scenera its 40.00
Yeah that

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum