Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #11
MyM&W
Registered Users
Formerly: maddiesmommy0503
seller

My Mood:
I'm thinking of declining this time around. I had a false positive with my first baby and had to re test (yuck!!) And it was fine, and I passed with my 2nd baby..so chances are low. Its so gross and makes me sick.

Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
mama1980
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyH
I declined.

- High rate of false positives due to shock reaction to the test
- Unnecessary sugar load on my body
- Fasting is unnecessary and potentially dangerous
- Testing/treating GD has no positive health impacts during pregnancy
- I am personally low-risk for GD
- Already follow a low-glycemic/"GD diet" as part of my lifestyle

There are significant health implications made possible when GD goes untreated, for both mom and baby. Shoulder dystocia, brachial plexus injury/brain damage/stillbirth, co-morbid with congenital hypothyroidism, ketoacidosis, severe jaundice and low blood sugar at birth can lead to brain damage and mental retardation, risk of future diagnosed diabetes. Mom: risk of full-blown diabetes, eclampsia/pre-eclampsia, c-section.

The actual percentile risk/annum for any mother is approximately 7% --half do not exhibit elevated risk factors.

Since when has fasting for 12 hours ever been dangerous?

I'd say the risk in NOT being tested (or requesting an alternative meal-based evaluation [although not standardized like the glucose test]) is just not worth it.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #13
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone Ever Refuse Glucose Screening?

I did. Even on my last pregnancy when I worked with a very traditional OB. I have no maternity coverage and the test is fairly expensive. Also, skipped it this time with a midwife.

I have no risk factors for diabetes and all my urine tests have all been perfect.
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #14
aaiya
Registered Users
seller

I was going to decline...but my new midwife doesn't have you do it fasting (like my old one did)...you just can't have eaten anything within 2 hrs of drinking the glucose drink. I'm glad I did it. I actually did NOT feel like crap like I did with my first two kiddos...and my numbers came back fine.

Last edited by aaiya; 12-21-2012 at 10:13 PM.
aaiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #15
eco-mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I declined and just tested at home for a week. I did the same thing with my previous pregnancy. I just don't find it necessary to overload my system with all of that glucose. Self testing is even more accurate so that is what I choose to do.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:20 AM   #16
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama1980

There are significant health implications made possible when GD goes untreated, for both mom and baby. Shoulder dystocia, brachial plexus injury/brain damage/stillbirth, co-morbid with congenital hypothyroidism, ketoacidosis, severe jaundice and low blood sugar at birth can lead to brain damage and mental retardation, risk of future diagnosed diabetes. Mom: risk of full-blown diabetes, eclampsia/pre-eclampsia, c-section.

The actual percentile risk/annum for any mother is approximately 7% --half do not exhibit elevated risk factors.

I'd say the risk in NOT being tested (or requesting an alternative meal-based evaluation [although not standardized like the glucose test]) is just not worth it.
That's JMO. And since we typically eat early dinners and early breakfasts (5pm and 6am) I, personally, would be fasting for, at the minimum, eighteen hours. That is not safe IMO.
In my risk-benefit analysis, the typical GD test does not make the cut. I may consider a post prandial test or periodic glucose monitoring if I start to show signs that I may be dealing with GD, but that is highly unlikely.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:46 AM   #17
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

I refuse them. I am high risk for diabetes and have always simply checked actual blood sugars until they were too high. I actually discover and can control the GD much sooner than if I wait for them to do the test. Plus, the test has lots of false positives.

However, I want to mention that it is a misconception that a diabetic will spill sugar in her urine. I could easily have if not controlled...and have had blood sugars upwards of 300 and have NEVER spilled sugar at an appointment.

Nor do I think it wise to simply ignore the possibility altogether. I did not have GD for 3 pregnancies, at very well and yet still developed GD with #4

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?

Last edited by weesej; 12-16-2012 at 06:06 AM.
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:55 AM   #18
MommaLEB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmm, I would have never considered the A1c test. I might look into that. I don't have my hg symptoms as controlled this time and am not looking forward to trying to hold down that drink. My guess is that for me, pricing will be prohibitive.

MommaLEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:26 AM   #19
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama1980 View Post

I very much agree with this. I'm also so surprised that so many people think this test is so inconvenient and unpleasant. I mena, drinking the sugary stuff is a tiny bit unpleasant, but really it's just a drink. And I never had to fast for 12 hours. I have always just had to not eat or drink for 2 hours after taking the drink and then they draw blood. I guess that's the initial screening test.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #20
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There are health complications that can arise in mom and baby with uncontrolled diabetes.

Where I live you do fast for 12 hours before the test, and then you go do the test early in the morning when the lab opens.

There are other ways to do it though without the sugary drink. Many countries do not test for diabetes that way, and many OBs and MWs in the US know how to perform the test/checks in different ways.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote