Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #21
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Anyone Ever Refuse Glucose Screening?

I declined with pg #2 and #3, when I had homebirths. I did it this time, though my dr told me I could eat that morning just no sugar.

I am low risk for it, and really don't worry about it.

Advertisement

Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #22
EmilyA874
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't do it with my DD. I was seeing midwives and am low risk for it and never had any signs of it, so we didn't think it a necessary test.

This time I was/am seeing a more "traditional" dr. I asked if there was an alternative to the glucola drink and was given a list of food combinations I could eat instead. So, I ate half a banana and 2 pieces of toast with a tsp of jelly on each, and had my sugar tested one hour after. Passed no problem. If I hadn't had any other option other than to drink the glucola drink I would have declined because the ingredients in that thing are horrendous and I'd rather not put that in my body!
EmilyA874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #23
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

I declined the traditional test for all the reasons already mentioned. I personally believe that the test is not needed and causes more issues. I never ever eat sugar like that so drinking that orange drink will make me really sick and mess up my results. My midwife did send me home with a blood tester so I could log my numbers each day for a week and report to her. We were not going to do anything at all but CA midwife standards and the local organization she is involved in are pretty strict for home birth so it is just better to cover butt her with concerns to liability. I am also low risk and eat a healthy diet
Old 12-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #24
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaLEB View Post
Hmm, I would have never considered the A1c test. I might look into that. I don't have my hg symptoms as controlled this time and am not looking forward to trying to hold down that drink. My guess is that for me, pricing will be prohibitive.
you can buy a pack of 2 a1c tests at Walgreens for around $30-40. I used them for my husband, he has a strong history of diabetes in his family and hasn't seen a doctor in probably 10 years. Men...
Old 12-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #25
newtocloth2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've declined the standard glucose testing with all of mine. However, I've also seen at least once in my pregnancy a naturapath (sp?) and had my sugars checked there. My first child I did an alternate test, but no glucose testing with my others. I'm willing to do alternate testing, but will not take the glucola drink.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #26
MyM&W
Registered Users
Formerly: maddiesmommy0503
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama1980 View Post

There are significant health implications made possible when GD goes untreated, for both mom and baby. Shoulder dystocia, brachial plexus injury/brain damage/stillbirth, co-morbid with congenital hypothyroidism, ketoacidosis, severe jaundice and low blood sugar at birth can lead to brain damage and mental retardation, risk of future diagnosed diabetes. Mom: risk of full-blown diabetes, eclampsia/pre-eclampsia, c-section.

The actual percentile risk/annum for any mother is approximately 7% --half do not exhibit elevated risk factors.

Since when has fasting for 12 hours ever been dangerous?

I'd say the risk in NOT being tested (or requesting an alternative meal-based evaluation [although not standardized like the glucose test]) is just not worth it.
I had shoulder dystocia with my son, he also had low blood sugar at birth. I didn't have GD...
Old 12-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #27
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

a lot of you have stated "I am low risk for it, so I don't do the test".

I don't really think that makes a lot of sense in this case.
You can have no risk factors for it, as well as no "symptoms", but you could still have it. Wouldn't it be safest for the baby and yourself to take the test to make sure? Are you aware of the health risks?

I don't really get the resistance to the test other than a weird mistrust of doctors?
Old 12-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #28
EmilyA874
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post

You can have no risk factors for it, as well as no "symptoms", but you could still have it. Wouldn't it be safest for the baby and yourself to take the test to make sure? Are you aware of the health risks?

I don't really get the resistance to the test other than a weird mistrust of doctors?
It's the way the test is done that most are resistant to. And the ingredients in the drink they want you to take for the test. I haven't seen anyone say they don't trust their doctor. I personally really like my doctor and trust her nearly completly, but for me, we try to eat healthy, stay away from artificial colors and flavors, and corn syrup, etc. Have you looked at what is in the drink?

Dextrose (from corn)
Citric Acid (from corn)
Natural Flavoring
Sodium Benzoate
Yellow #6
Purified Water

If I can take the test and eat real food instead of putting that stuff in my body I don't have an issue. I just have zero desire to make myself sick to test for a condition that there are better ways of finding out if I have other than drinking a bunch of chemicals and what not. That's not unreasonable, is it?
EmilyA874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #29
SewGreenBaby
Registered Users
Formerly: Naturally Pampered
seller
seller

My Mood:
I tried to take it with my son and violently vomited before passing out. They didn't test me again and labeled me as "glucose intolerant". I'll be discussing other options with my ob so I don't have to go through that again.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
SewGreenBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #30
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410

I don't think anyone said anything about not trusting their doctors. The test has a good rate of false positives, and there are more accurate and safer ways of getting the result.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote