Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #31
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone Ever Refuse Glucose Screening?

I declined with my first. He ended up being 9lb 11oz, so I agreed to the test for my second. He was a measly 8lb 13oz (which is exactly 4000g and the bottom of "high risk" weight). I declined with my third, she was a whopping 9lb 14oz. I agreed with my fourth and he ended up only 8lb 4oz and the test came back showing that my blood sugar was actually low after the 1 hour.

All that being said, I have "risk factors" for GD, but I won't be taking the test again.

Advertisement

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #32
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
I don't think anyone said anything about not trusting their doctors. The test has a good rate of false positives, and there are more accurate and safer ways of getting the result.
Ditto this. I wasn't resistant to being screened for it I was resistant to the standard method when I could eat real food. Chances are if i eat a slightly carb heavy breakfast and an hour later my sugars are normal (actually low) than I don't have GD. Why should I fast and drink something that I would never normally put in my body when I can do it in a healthier and more reliable way? Also the ACOG doesn't even say everyone should be tested so its actually quite reasonable for someone to take their risk factors and family history into account when deciding whether to go through an actual test or not.

Plus my midwife who is a certified nurse midwife and a nurse practitioner advises against the standard glucose test. She's worked in hospitals and clinics and I trust her experience. If she thinks a test isn't worth me doing and would rather check me after eating a regular meal I'll trust her judgement.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #33
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evasimone View Post
Also the ACOG doesn't even say everyone should be tested so its actually quite reasonable for someone to take their risk factors and family history into account when deciding whether to go through an actual test or not.
I'm not sure this statement is accurate or up to date. According to my OB and most everything recent that I have read, it is recommended for all pregnant women to do the screening test (not the more extensive test that would come later if you failed the initial screening).

you can always refuse it, but that doesn't mean it's not recommended.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #34
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyA874 View Post
It's the way the test is done that most are resistant to. And the ingredients in the drink they want you to take for the test. I haven't seen anyone say they don't trust their doctor. I personally really like my doctor and trust her nearly completly, but for me, we try to eat healthy, stay away from artificial colors and flavors, and corn syrup, etc. Have you looked at what is in the drink?

Dextrose (from corn)
Citric Acid (from corn)
Natural Flavoring
Sodium Benzoate
Yellow #6
Purified Water

If I can take the test and eat real food instead of putting that stuff in my body I don't have an issue. I just have zero desire to make myself sick to test for a condition that there are better ways of finding out if I have other than drinking a bunch of chemicals and what not. That's not unreasonable, is it?
I don't have a problem at all drinking the glucola. It is just one drink, and it's probably no worse than drinking a glass of soda. IMO and those of doctors etc, it is certainly not a health risk to mom and baby.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #35
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With my first two pregnancies, my doctor ever even mentioned taking the test. With my third, I had a midwife and she gave me the option. This time, I have a new midwife, and she seemed to think that it would be a good idea to take the test., based on the fact that my babies are all over 8 pounds... Yet my biggest was 8 pounds 10 ounces... And my kids are super tall, strong kids. I was a bit put off by that, I'll admit. Also, my SIL has type 1 diabetes, and she thinks the test is highly inaccurate and not very helpful. I can opt to have the extra blood draw instead, which is something diabetics do a few times per year. That makes way more sense to me.

Holland Grace is here! (14/4/2013)
delicatefade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #36
EmilyA874
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
I don't have a problem at all drinking the glucola. It is just one drink, and it's probably no worse than drinking a glass of soda. IMO and those of doctors etc, it is certainly not a health risk to mom and baby.
Many do have a problem drinking it though, and many don't drink soda (we don't, other than my DH having the occasional natural soda without corn syrup and chemicals). And many studies show health risks from artificial colors actually and there use is banned in many countries. The drink could be made much healthier than it is and the test could be carried out in much better ways.
EmilyA874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #37
FrozenBooty
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I can not physically take the test it would make me violently ill due to health conditions. We do the a1c blood work monthly with my other labs. I also monitor my blood sugars I was negative in my first and positive in my second so far this pregnancy I'm having low blood sugars but not high.

I would just refuse the test if you don't want it the outcome only effects you and your child. I personally would never want to risk my child with a treatable condition. I also won't risk my own health why I'm not drinking the goo or pounding a half a dozen candy bars.

FrozenBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #38
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

I didn't take the test with my first. My midwife told me I could take it if I wanted but didn't have to because she wasn't concerned.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #39
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyH View Post
I declined.

- High rate of false positives due to shock reaction to the test
- Unnecessary sugar load on my body
- Fasting is unnecessary and potentially dangerous
- Testing/treating GD has no positive health impacts during pregnancy
- I am personally low-risk for GD
- Already follow a low-glycemic/"GD diet" as part of my lifestyle
this.

I am on my 4th pregnancy and have never taken the Glucose screening and never would.

I am hypoglycemic (typically LOW blood sugar, resulting from my pancreas over-producing insulin) and I cannot even drink a whole cup of orange juice without getting ill and my blood sugar going crazy. There is no way I would consent to consume that amount of sugar in under an hour. I actually would be surprised if I have that much refined sugar in a whole 24 hour period (same as what is in the glucola crap that have you drink).

Besides that, I think the test is really poorly designed and even more poorly carried out.

I test at home on my own blood sugar monitor. I provide 3 fasting blood sugar levels, and 3 after-meal levels, w/a descrip of what I ate for each meal. I think that should suffice, and I think it is way more accurate than blindly testing the mass pregnant population with a major dose of sugar and then a blood draw an hour afterwards. If my blood sugars were coming back high, I would monitor them longer, and if they continued to be high, I would put myself on the GD diet. But I see no need for the Glucose screening.

My typical blood sugar range is between 60-100. It very rarely exceeds 100. I am very careful, and very aware of the symptoms of my blood sugar fluctuating. *PERSONALLY* I truly feel I'd know something was wrong, just b/c I already have to monitor my levels pre-pregnancy anytime I feel "off" . So I am already aware of what it feels like, and how my body reacts to my typical diet.

Last edited by Kiliki; 12-16-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #40
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyH View Post
I declined.

- High rate of false positives due to shock reaction to the test
- Unnecessary sugar load on my body
- Fasting is unnecessary and potentially dangerous
- Testing/treating GD has no positive health impacts during pregnancy
- I am personally low-risk for GD
- Already follow a low-glycemic/"GD diet" as part of my lifestyle
Same thing for me. I declined both times. I already exercise and eat a relatively low-sugar/carb diet (not LOW carb, but mostly organic and always carbs with fats and protein, etc. Also I hate needles, so there wasn't a good enough reason for me to get the test. If any risk factors emerged, I would have checked my sugars for a bit.