Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:
Confession

My kids great-grandmother always buys them a gift for Christmas. She has 20+ great-grandchildren and so she shops at the dollar store. She is so sweet, and my children adore her, and she is so very giving!

We don't do mass-produced plastic junky toys, close-ended toys, characters, etc. In the past, Christmas morning disappointment has struck with a few of these gifts from great-grandma and another generous relative, with toys breaking within minutes of being opened, or worse, arriving DOA (like the remote-controlled car that started smoking when DH put the battery in it).

Here's my confession: A couple of years ago, I decided enough was enough. I intercepted the gifts, donated them, and swapped them out for more appropriate ones (appropriate according to me, the mom). I felt guilty, but the joy they got from the "appropriate" gifts (and more so the lack of disappointment) was totally worth it. Great-grandma and the other generous relative don't ever come to pur house, nor do we see them within any kind of proximity post-Christmastime, so I had no concerns about the kids thanking them for the wrong gift, nor would great-grandma remember, really, what she bought each child, given the enormity of her shopping list!

Here's the problem. My in-laws are going to be here on Christmas morning when the kids open their gifts. My in-laws are fairly well aware of the dollar-store budget, and I am worried that they will discover my secret. The gifts I swapped out for are only $5 things, but still. DH says to just tell them, but there is no way that I can - my MIL has a habit of buying mass-produced junk and the last 3 gifts she has bought them have either broken during assembly or been immediately discarded to the "donate" box because my children have zero interest in them. I think she would be crushed, and probably hate me.

This may be the last Christmas that great-grandma is around, and I want my kids to remember her generosity and loving spirit. What do I do?

Advertisement

Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Re: Confession

Stick with it and don't say a word. Will you be announcing what gift comes from what person? I would try to think of dollar store things you would be okay with and add them to the pile. Stickers and a sticker book or crayons and a color book? I don't know I think I would just try to avoid the subject completely.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

She only buys one gift - $1 worth - and wraps it up ;-)
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would put your $5 gifts into the stocking and find an 'appropriate' $1 item and wrap it. May it be stickers, crayons, a bouncy ball, etc.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
I would put your $5 gifts into the stocking and find an 'appropriate' $1 item and wrap it. May it be stickers, crayons, a bouncy ball, etc.
Perfect. It's nice that you care so much about everyone's feelings.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I'd buy new $1 items to wrap for the kids if you already got rid of the toys g grandma sent

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Just this one year, give them what great grandma actually bought them. Then your in-laws will be none the wiser.
Marbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #8
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbie View Post
Just this one year, give them what great grandma actually bought them. Then your in-laws will be none the wiser.
I agree with this. Let them have the gifts she buys, and then next week when they don't care about them or they are broken, you can pitch them.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:48 AM   #9
Angel89411
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola

I agree with this. Let them have the gifts she buys, and then next week when they don't care about them or they are broken, you can pitch them.
Hey, maybe if MIL sees the disappointment of a toy breaking or being DOA, she will stop buying $1 store stuff.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ugh my in laws so that too and so does my DH! He wants to fill their stockings with dollar store crap and refuses to listen to me about it

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote