Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #21
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Surprise twins at 21w u/s

Oh how awesome for you! Congratulations~

Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #22
adensmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

PM'd you.

Last edited by adensmom; 12-26-2012 at 02:10 PM.
adensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #23
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yay!! :-) Congrats!
Old 01-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #24
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow, how exciting and a bit scary. If I was preggo with twins, I'd want to know as early as possible. Good luck to u hun! Twins are fantastic!
Old 01-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #25
kricket24
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Congratulations!!!! I'm 12 weeks pregnant with twins and have known since 5 weeks so I can't imagine not knowing until 21 weeks, wow!! Very exciting though!

This has been a really interesting thread to read since I've been very conflicted on where to give birth. I originally wanted to deliver with a midwife in a very family centered hospital birthing unit with level III NICU available upstairs but due to insurance and a longer than reasonable travel distance, that's no longer an option. In fact, none of the midwives here in NJ will take me on. I wouldn't want a home birth because I don't care to deliver here (base housing, not my permanent home and just not comfortable delivering in this space) so that puts me back in care of the regular OBs and perinatologist. So far I've just learned I have to be very proactive and advocate for myself. I declined the pelvic exam and Pap smear and plan to decline other procedures I feel are unnecessary and along the way ask lots of questions. My husband has nursing school experience so I'm just hoping and praying that between him being an advocate for me and possibly hiring a doula, I'll be covered. My issue with OBs (especially here in NJ) is that they seem to be very focused on covering themselves from liability more than anything so things become "routine" very quickly and I can foresee some tension and disagreements down the line. I hope I'm wrong and I absolutely want the outcome to be two healthy take-home babies and health for myself too, but I know the best way for that to happen is to stay informed and not blindly allow the doctors to do with me as they please. I know my body and I feel like my doctor and I should be partners in my care, not boss and employee. Sorry for the ramble!! Still trying to work out my disappointment over not having a midwife this time around and coming to terms with the reality that I might not have the birth I was hoping for.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #26
kricket24
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Oh just realized you are the OP Brook! Haha, preggo brain!! Anyway, happy for you!! Sorry for the long winded post!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #27
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Same thing happened to us! You can do it mama! It never felt "real" to me until they had been home for a few weeks. I used to stare at them thinking, "TWO, two babies!" It's a wild ride. Welcome to the multiples forum, these mamas are great!

Last edited by twinpossible; 01-28-2013 at 06:40 PM.
twinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #28
bai18176
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpossible View Post
Same thing happened to us! You can do it mama! It never felt "real" to me until they had been home for a few weeks. I used to stare at them thinking, "TWO, two babies!" It's a wild ride. Welcome to the multiples forum, these mamas are great!
Lol, I got a giggle from this It's hard to wrap one's mind around! I think I many have to accept the fact that it just doesn't seem real I think now TWO babies, mind boggling! Although I've started saying babies instead of baby at least half the time now
Old 01-31-2013, 11:21 PM   #29
beckstar
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom View Post
congrats!! I would love to have that but also maybe not so much... lol. lots of work. I have 5 as well now. I have attended 3 sets of homebirths for twins now. one included a breech, one a waterbirth and all were fast and easy for the mama. one set was early at 36 weeks. however, the majority of twim homebirths do go to term and have little to no transports if you look up the stats.
there is NO reason you have to be looked at as high risk. pregnancy is not an illness. we are designed for this. make sure you eat at least 60-100mg of protein each day to keep away toxemia (which tends to happen more with dr following mamas)
do what you feel most comfy with on delivering.
I would prefer home or birth center. no way hospital as most get a c section or in NICU for observation. best place for a smaller baby is on your chest around very few germs and a hospital has them everywhere.

I wish you the best and some peace with your decision, remember you are not 40 weeks yet. you have time
i agree that just because you are pregnant with twins, you should not be defaulted to high risk. the OP has obviously had a very healthy, normal pregnancy before her ultrasound...no one knew there were twins...i think once that label is tacked on, mentalities change and a cascade of fear based actions can take place.

and, for myself, i could care less if a hospital rolled out a red carpet and promised me champagne and a hot tub after all the 'awesome' extras one gets for being labeled 'high risk'...and honestly, when i was pg with twins and getting shadow care, my insurance didn't cover anything until after i had paid a really high deductible...so i dont know what that's all about. so yah, i did have shadow care in the event that i NEEDED a hospital...but i never assumed that i would strictly for the fact i was pregnant with twins.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:18 AM   #30
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traysee
Congratulations :O)

I am a twin momma of toddlers. I honestly would never consider a home birth with twins. Statistically 50% of twins are born premature and most needs at least a few days in the NICU. Twin births have a much higher C-Section rate (60%). I know quite a few people who had a vaginal delivery for the first and needed an emergency C-Section for the second. Once the first baby comes out the second one can flip and breech. I can't imagine not having everything in place just in case.

I'm not trying to scare you but I think people are getting desensitized to multiple pregnancies that they forget they are high risk. I would never forgive myself if precious minutes mattered. The safest place to have them is in a hospital with a level 3 NICU.
This exactly . My sister was a single baby and was an emergency c section and as a result is mentally 12 & is really 29. Her mental age is just a reminder for me what can go wrong. Not that I usually does but just in case I vote hostipal.

Also are you having boys or girls? & what are the genders if your other children?!

Congrats mama!!!
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote