Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
Zoethink
Registered Users
seller

Water birth question: do you get cold?

I hear all the time how awesome water birth/ labor is, and it seems to make sense to me why, but I was wondering if anyone has felt too cold. My body generally runs cold and I love being warm and cozy. I find baths to be nice sometimes, but I think they cool down too quick and I would be worried that that would happen during labor, and I can imagine that that would be really uncomfortable for me, especially during labor.

I was just wondering what people's experiences have been. Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 09-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Nope! Happy as a clam!

I have hashimotos disease and can tolerate being cold. Just a chill will send me into in controllable shivers. It sucks.

My tub was warm and enjoyable. When it cooled down, hot water was added. I basically like a 'me stew' and as long as I was not sweating, the midwife was aok with it.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
mamaratliff
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Water birth question: do you get cold?

I wasn't in long enough to find out. Only about 10 min before I started pushing, then another 10 min of pushing, plus about 5 min for the placenta, and baby oogling. Then I was done and got out. It still felt plenty warm to me though. I was doing the hardest work of my life, so I don't see I could have been cold anyway
Old 09-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was hot with my second baby--I needed them to cool it off.

I know with my first baby, they were putting hot water in periodically (with buckets, and then scooping out some so it didn't overflow) to keep it warm. My midwife tries to make sure the water is a comfortable temperature and that you don't get cold.

ETA: the temperature of the water is important for, in the extreme, avoiding hypothermia, too, so usually your provider will watch the temperature carefully.

Last edited by VeganCupcake; 09-19-2012 at 09:47 PM.
VeganCupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:20 AM   #5
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I got too hot in there with each of mine which is why I wanted out. My experiences were at the hospital though, not at home. One of the most unpleasant parts of my labor experience was that wheelchair ride back down the hallway from the tub room to the labor room - because it was SO COLD in the hallway...sent me into immediate teeth chattering whole body shaking shivers.

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:25 AM   #6
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
No, too hot when I first got in then the adjusted it.
The other time it was perfect. She also put a large wash cloth on my chest so that wouldn't get cold. Dh job was to keep pouring warm water on my shoulders if I asked or giving me some ice chips to eat.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:34 AM   #7
lilbitcrunchy
Registered Users
Formerly: lovnbabygabi
seller

My Mood:
Nope! My midwife had a little floating thermometer in there and added hot water as needed to keep it at a comfy temp. I was in there for hours and it was awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 09-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am always very cold in winter, need a sweater in restaurants in summer. I've had 9 waterbirths, many in winter and was never cold.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #9
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Most women are hot during labor. I usually am very cold natured, and LOVE hot water, but had no problem being in the tub during labor. We actually ran out of hot water, but by the time I would have noticed I wasn't in a position to care much.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #10
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love HOT HOT showers and baths, so I was right at home in my birthing pool. If it cooled off a bit my MWs and DH added more periodically.