Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-26-2014, 11:44 PM   #1
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Would you and your dh seize your minimalist dream job?

My dh has a great job. Really, we are blessed. However, we are adventuresome and have some serious wanderlust issues- LOL!

So, he mentioned to me he has a potential opportunity to go back to working on some projects. It would mean living in a different spot every year or 18 months. I never thought he'd consider doing this again. His current job will keep us in our current location forever.

I don't hate but DON'T love our current city- been here 2 years. I hate the thought of being stuck here forever, even if we sell this house and buy in a neighborhood I like better than this one (I detest our location right now).

The first 2 cities we would go to would be GREAT, he already knows what they'd be, but the one after that might be awful. No way to know. Once he had to go to the salt flats of west Utah which he said was the most lonely, ugly place on earth!

SO- 4 homeschooled kids, 2 crazy parents, a different city every year. Usually living in cool apartments with nice pools and gyms and such, getting rid of 2/3 of our possessions, living expenses paid for. We'd probably see family about the same amount of time. Some years more, some years a little less.

I was standing in my kitchen tonight realizing how exhilarating it would be to purge like that (we did MAJOR moves 2 times and purged, but this would be way more extreme), to get rid of the responsibilities of home ownership, sell this house I hate....

He won't pursue the job unless I absolutely insist on it. The cons are many- no control over the cities, kids without lasting friendships, no trusted babysitters, etc. (I will add, my kids are big homebodies anyway, and they are each others' best friends.)

I am so tempted to fall on my knees and beg him to make this job happen....

What would you do???

Advertisement

momomom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:17 AM   #2
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Would you and your dh seize your minimalist dream job?

We too suffer from wanderlust. We moved around for many years and this is the longest we've stayed put.

I am not entirely happy with our location. I yearn to go back to AZ.

I think that job sounds awesome.

How are your kids at transitions? If they handle moves well I would go for it.

I think I like that you can get a taste for different places before deciding where you want to stay for good.

My only hesitation was that we did end up in what I considered a horrid place once and it really took a toll on me and by extension the whole family. 18 months can be a long time in a horrid place. My dh had to pull out of his contract prematurely.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:45 AM   #3
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you don't want to take it, I will!

Gosh that sounds AWESOME!
My biggest concern was social factors and uprooting issues for the kids.
But, if they are already being homeschooled that is a huge positive IMO because there won't be as much change of friends, new schools and teachers, uprooting mid school year, etc.
The older kids could penpal with any new friends they meet as you travel, what a fun experience!
I believe that having the ability to show the children different places of the country would be a valuable asset? lessons? experiences? I don't know what to describe it as, but it sounds like an opportunity I wish I could give to my kids and myself.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:29 AM   #4
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I love to go adventuring in life as well and I would do it. With the kids being home schooled it isn't that bog of deal. We are moving because of me hating where we lived but I do finally feel like I might be done moving for the first time in my life. I guess we will see.
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:19 AM   #5
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I hate the actual process of moving but I love getting to know a new place and meeting new people.

Now I feel like job security has us tied down here. Oh and my kids have great friends here too.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:44 AM   #6
ecwtwitch
Registered Users

As a kid I always wanted to move around but my mom had a good job and a big family network where we were. So I basically grew up in the same small town for almost my entire life. As soon as I graduated I moved out of state and to a big city. I loved it! I have since lived in Europe and come back to America to finish my degree. My husband and I love traveling and living minimally. We dream of moving all around especially Europe! I honk if your kids are up for it than go for it! Some people love to live in different places and travel and some don't. But the experiences are so worth it!

Sent from my iPad using diaperswappers.com
ecwtwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:48 AM   #7
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

No, I would not. We are military and we homeschool, and yes homeschooling definitely has its perks when you move often. However, though it wasn't really an issue to be moving a lot when the kids were younger, it has made a huge difference for my oldest to be able to stay in one spot for a couple years and make friends her age that she knows she will be able to be friends with for several more years. She's turning 14 next month and while we are still active duty, we are at a place and point where we can probably stay put until she's done with high school. She would struggle so much with moving now. Our son is 11 and he could still move without difficulty. It really boils down to a personality difference. So, for us, no I would not.

If it was just DH and I, I would be on it. I love moving around and seeing new places.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:45 PM   #8
BeccaD777
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would not do it, even though it does sound like fun. I remember moving a lot as a kid and how I wished that we could just stay in one place. Unless your kids are very adventurous and love change I think it would be hard on them. It is easy to become isolated as homeschoolers anyway (we also homeschool) and never being able to connect long term with any friends may be hard on them.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:55 AM   #9
briggsy13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would say go for it. If you think your kids will thrive where ever they are living. They are still young enough in my opinion to be ok with it. Once they start hitting teenage years it might get harder. We might possibly have the opportunity to live in the Bahamas for several years. My kiddos are 8/6/4 (will be 4 when/if we go) and still young enough that even though they will miss their friends here they are game to live away.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:59 AM   #10
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have to agree that it is harder once you hit the teenage years. It really is what is keeping me in one place.