Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #31
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Who wants to help me play with floor plans for a tiny house??

Another thought that would extend your living space cheaply is a porch or deck- specifically that would have an eating area. Maybe a porch swing?

Advertisement

Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #32
luvsgreen
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbabies View Post

Do you think all the appliances in a line would look ok? Or would it look tacky? I like that idea too as long as it wouldn't look tacky.

And yes, the other stove is a wood stove...though we are wondering if we will truly need it in such a small space. We lOVE our wood stove though and have cords upon cords of wood to burn haha.
I think it would be fine. In England almost everyone I knew had their washer in the kitchen.
I would keep the fire stove! I live in a 700sq home, and wish we could put one in our house, just not sure where to put it. It is too cosy to give up

Handmade rustic home decor ~ https://www.facebook.com/asinglesparrow
luvsgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:03 PM   #33
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfergy0625 View Post
I like the first layout best. (and can I just say that I am in love with this thread!!)
Thanks! I plan to blog the entire adventure when we figure it out. And I may start a post here and keep it updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4boys1girlforme View Post
Another thought that would extend your living space cheaply is a porch or deck- specifically that would have an eating area. Maybe a porch swing?
We plan on a nice deck (probably about half the size of the whole house haha) A porch swing sounds absolutely lovely! On the east side so we get to sit in the shade on hot summer days on a white porch swing near our red front door...oh dreamy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsgreen View Post
I think it would be fine. In England almost everyone I knew had their washer in the kitchen.
I would keep the fire stove! I live in a 700sq home, and wish we could put one in our house, just not sure where to put it. It is too cosy to give up

Maybe that is what we will do then. And yes, the wood stove is very cozy! That is why we don't want to do without, even if we jsut have a teeny little one. We plan to have a very small propane wall heater for back up too.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #34
texanromaniac
Registered Users

Not quite the size you were going for and no mention of a space for washer and dryer...and would need to be reworked a smidge to fit a regular fridge and stairs in....but here is a 388 sq ft vacation chalet that I just love...and it even has a built in bunkbed for kids on the main level!!

http://www.designboom.com/architectu...by-studiomama/
texanromaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #35
texanromaniac
Registered Users

Oh, and this doesn't give you a full sized fridge or oven...but this is an absolutely cool, compact hideaway kitchen!!

http://www.culshawbell.co.uk/completekitchenette.html
texanromaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #36
solarbabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanromaniac View Post
Not quite the size you were going for and no mention of a space for washer and dryer...and would need to be reworked a smidge to fit a regular fridge and stairs in....but here is a 388 sq ft vacation chalet that I just love...and it even has a built in bunkbed for kids on the main level!!

http://www.designboom.com/architectu...by-studiomama/
I have seen and drooled over that one before! Love how light and airy it looks! But I never noticed that wood stove before...how compact it is, how close it is to the wall....I wish I knew what it was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanromaniac View Post
Oh, and this doesn't give you a full sized fridge or oven...but this is an absolutely cool, compact hideaway kitchen!!

http://www.culshawbell.co.uk/completekitchenette.html
If it were just dh and I I would love something like this! Close the doors and wala! no more mess lol!
Old 01-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #37
Joluru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been thinking about this thread and hope a few of these suggestions might help:

I would put a wall of shelving on the left wall as you enter the front door. It can hold the TV, clothes, toys, all the stuff basically. It would go all the way back to the bathroom at the back wall, and the bathroom would include the washing machine. I'd try to get an all-in-one washer-dryer, or consign myself to stackables or line drying in your situation. I couldn't give up that much floor space for a dryer! I have a stacking washer dryer and while it's not my favorite, it is quite functional.

On the right wall when you are looking in from the front door, instead of a futon, how about a couch with storage, which could pull out to make a bed, kind of like this IKEA couch but a tad smaller? (I'd also go with a solid back instead of multiple pillows, for a cleaner look.) The storage space and extra spot for a kid to sit in the livingroom with the family would make a difference for me. A narrow console behind the sofa, against the wall, could serve as a table to hold beverages and a lamp, and when you pull out the sofa, you can store off season things there.

Then would come the stairs, in an L configuration, with the kitchen tucked underneath. The L configuration could be similar to this:

In the kitchen, go narrow with the appliances. You can get a 24" wide fridge and 18" dishwasher and 24" range. I'd keep the oven, since I've had a convection microwave and it just isn't the same for baking.

I have a whole Pinterest board for tiny kitchen ideas.

Also, a pull out drawer at the bottom of the stairs could hold shoes:

I'd go with a drop-down table and chairs that can fold and be stored away. When you want more floor space, just fold it up and slide it beside the sofa.

So in my head, from the front door, the right wall would be L-shaped sofa, a little space for stair landing, L-shaped stairs with kitchen underneath both ends of the L. The back wall would be kitchen, door to bathroom/laundry, and shelving. The right wall would be all shelving. This would put everything around the outer edges of the room, leaving the center open for the most airy, spacious feeling possible.

Search for houseboats, RVs, and European flats for lots of ideas for storage in compact spaces.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #38
Joluru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There's also this type of thing, a drop-down table in front of the wall of cabinets:

I'd also use the space along the wall next to the stairs as bookshelves.

Last edited by Joluru; 01-09-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Joluru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #39
Joluru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm still at it...

Take advantage of little nooks and crannies for storage. The plunger and toilet brush can go in a little nook between studs like this:

And these stairs officially rock my socks:

If you wanted a wood stove, you could put it between cabinets, like this:

or in the front right corner, across from the sofa, before cabinets begin.

And there are a number of 12'x24' hunting cabins, which are the right space for you and a good idea of space in use.

http://trophyamishcabins.com/_cottage_cabin/12_x_24_cottage
(This one is so cozy!)

http://faith-homes.com/cabins

This is a nice video for one your size, too.

Another thing to consider: a tankless water heater will take far less space than a traditional water heater, and could go right over the toilet in a little enclosure, with a towel rack over it, so it's easily accessible but out of the way.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #40
solarbabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh my you are AWESOME! I am trying really hard to get the L shape stairs in my head in the tiny house....just how it would go, where exactly. But otherwise, I am loving your ideas! I like the idea of the l shaped couch too..I had no idea they made those into storage couches that turned to beds too lol. I am off to google to look at that.

Washer and dryer...we have a set that can bet stacked...so we are good there and we already have a tankless water heater. But I have been stumped on where to put it and how to 'hide' it so it still looks nice.

I was thinking with the one internal wall for the bathroom that we would use all the room between studs that we could! So towel racks so they don't stick out into the room, built in shelves (in bathroom or on the other side of the wall)

I have talked to dh before about a fold out table. He has been on the fence about it...but to tell him that we could leave it out unless we need to floor space. He may go for that better lol.

Draw a floor plan for me??? Pretty please?? I would love to see it exactly how you have it in your head.

Oh, and your pinterest board....I am already following you lol. How funny! My whole top row on pinterest is dedicated to our tiny dream