Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #41
Joluru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Who wants to help me play with floor plans for a tiny house??

This Pinterest board is perfect! It's for her dream 12x24 Tumbleweed house.

And this might be an idea to work around.

Or these "park model" mobile homes could be used as a starting point, too. It wouldn't be too hard to arrange a loft over something like this:

Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #42
Joluru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay, here's my sketch.

The main floor. You've got the sofa on the right when you walk in, and then U shaped stairs. There's a small storage space you can access from the side closest to the sofa. Facing the stairs, it's bookshelves along the wall. Where the stairs are on the upswing, there's a little broom closet, and a narrow set of shelving to be a pantry. I think I used every part of the stairs!

The kitchen is small (7'x8') but has a fridge, stove and oven.

Next up, the bathroom, with a tub, linen closet, and room for a tankless water heater.

On the long wall, I put the washer/dryer and then a wall of shelving. IKEA's PAX system might work for this shelving. Make a drop-side table on one of these, and hide folding chairs behind the table. Over that, your TV and entertainment stuff will fit. A narrow coat closet works next to it.

And finally, your wood stove.

You should be able to click it and make it bigger.

Upstairs - I gave 4 feet between the floor and the beginning of the slope, so you could fit a twin bed with drawers underneath on either side. The kids' room is 8'x12', there is a family closet opposite the stairs, and the parents' room is 10'x12'. I put drawers or shelves along the short walls on the parents' room.

Maybe use pocket doors on the bedrooms? You mentioned a catwalk, but, it's such a small space that I hate to leave any unused.

Let me know if it's not clear!

Last edited by Joluru; 01-10-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Joluru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #43
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joluru View Post
Okay, here's my sketch.

The main floor. You've got the sofa on the right when you walk in, and then U shaped stairs. There's a small storage space you can access from the side closest to the sofa. Facing the stairs, it's bookshelves along the wall. Where the stairs are on the upswing, there's a little broom closet, and a narrow set of shelving to be a pantry. I think I used every part of the stairs!

The kitchen is small (7'x8') but has a fridge, stove and oven.

Next up, the bathroom, with a tub, linen closet, and room for a tankless water heater.

On the long wall, I put the washer/dryer and then a wall of shelving. IKEA's PAX system might work for this shelving. Make a drop-side table on one of these, and hide folding chairs behind the table. Over that, your TV and entertainment stuff will fit. A narrow coat closet works next to it.

And finally, your wood stove.

You should be able to click it and make it bigger.

Upstairs - I gave 4 feet between the floor and the beginning of the slope, so you could fit a twin bed with drawers underneath on either side. The kids' room is 8'x12', there is a family closet opposite the stairs, and the parents' room is 10'x12'. I put drawers or shelves along the short walls on the parents' room.

Maybe use pocket doors on the bedrooms? You mentioned a catwalk, but, it's such a small space that I hate to leave any unused.

Let me know if it's not clear!
LOVE it! We have talked about doing a full upstairs, rather than 2 small lofts, maybe we should. I will talk to dh more. He feels like if there are lofts instead then it may feel bigger on the bottom because you could see into the lofts and such. And he feels it would be easier to heat/cool the whole thing since the top would be open to the bottom.

I think I get the whole floor plan, the stairs are still the most unclear to me. I will look at it until it works in my head though...sometimes you just can't wrap your brain around something lol and this is one of those!

I love the idea of everything else though, I am so glad you looked at my post...cuz I got to pick your brain and it is hepful! Thank you for your perspective! Helps a ton!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #44
Joluru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbabies View Post
LOVE it! We have talked about doing a full upstairs, rather than 2 small lofts, maybe we should. I will talk to dh more. He feels like if there are lofts instead then it may feel bigger on the bottom because you could see into the lofts and such. And he feels it would be easier to heat/cool the whole thing since the top would be open to the bottom.

I think I get the whole floor plan, the stairs are still the most unclear to me. I will look at it until it works in my head though...sometimes you just can't wrap your brain around something lol and this is one of those!

I love the idea of everything else though, I am so glad you looked at my post...cuz I got to pick your brain and it is hepful! Thank you for your perspective! Helps a ton!
I can see the bottom feeling bigger if there are two small lofts, but with such small lofts, I couldn't see how to fit two beds for your kids, or closet/clothes storage. Maybe you can work out the top better than me.

The stairs would be kind of like this:

The lower part would have storage underneath. The part that goes up would have a broom closet underneath. I put bookshelving along the back wall.

Does that make more sense?

Also, I saw RV bathtubs that are smaller than standard and might be worth looking at.

Last edited by Joluru; 01-10-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Joluru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #45
Joluru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A couple more floorplans for ideas:

This one, if you cut off the back bedroom and porch, is close to your dimensions.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:58 AM   #46
burt505
Registered Users

your middle floorplan is almost perfect for me. the major changes i will make are the stairs. the type of stairs i'm using are shown on your thread or page #5. they will be positioned just like the picture going up to the second floor. my bottom floor will be 12x24 besides the porch. i will have miminum open space between both floors. my roof is barn style so i can have hieght and room. with the porch my bottom floor is 12x30. my upper floor is 14x30. this extra two feet over hang allows for many more variations. i will have two bedrooms and one full bath upstairs.
burt505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #47
juliefarnsworth87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

what about in the kitchen a larger counter/island that has the sink on it and one food prep calendar then barstools on the other side, below it you could do the washer and dryer.
juliefarnsworth87 is offline   Reply With Quote