Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #11
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Re: How do you know if your young child needs Glasses?

I knew because my 4 year old was having to squint to read things across a room (but then again, most preschoolers aren't reading yet, so that's not the easiest test...) You could also tell though if (for example) he was sitting on the couch and watching TV, see if he squints to see things that a normal-vision person wouldn't have to squint for.

Advertisement

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #12
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, they can tell. We have 2 children that began wearing glasses at just 2yo. You need a pediatric opthomologist.

In answer to the pp who asked about asking your son if he can see. He thinks he can see. He has no idea if his vision is impaired because it has likely been that way since birth. Our just turned 2yo has VERY poor vision. We took her simply because of family history and had no idea it was that bad. She has been coping amazingly well for needing a +6 in one eye and +9 in the other. If you have concerns take him. Better safe than sorry.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #13
thealmightyme
Registered Users
seller
seller

I definitely can't ask him if he can see or not. He totally wouldn't get that concept yet. He is some what verbal, but he is only 21 months. He is just starting to string together sentences. When I take the twins in for their two year check up I'll ask their pedi. I'll also watch for squinting when watching TV, not that they pay attention to it for more than a few seconds at a time.
thealmightyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #14
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our speech therapist recommended that I get DS1's eyes checked because of how close he would put his face to the books and iPad during therapy. He needed glasses. I got DS 2 checked at 2 years old and DS3 checked at 12 months old.

DS1 gets an eye exam twice a year. I take the other kids once a year.

If you think he needs checked, then go get him checked!!

Good luck, God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #15
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

A pediatrician will not be able to check his vision. At that age, you need to take him to a pediatric opthamologist.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #16
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

We were referred to a pediatric ophthalmologist when my oldest was about a year. There was really no indication that he had vision problems other than the "red eye" test in pictures. My DH and most of his family have vision issues so after I looked we noticed it in multiple pictures we too him just as a precaution. His vision was amazingly very poor. I just couldn't believe how bad it was since he appeared to see. Like PP said he probably thought he could see just fine and compensated accordingly. He's been in glasses since 13 months(6 now) and has had 2 surgeries and they have been able to accurately diagnose him even when he was very young and not able to fully communicate what he was able to see.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #17
thealmightyme
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASMama711 View Post
A pediatrician will not be able to check his vision. At that age, you need to take him to a pediatric opthamologist.
Correct, but he will need a referral, as we have an HMO.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:05 PM   #18
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Another thought: my LO started to pretend fall about that time for attention. It looked pretty real until I realized what she up to and started giving her falls so much attention.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #19
thealmightyme
Registered Users
seller
seller

I could see that as being a possibility. Usually he doesn't cry or come running for the attention unless he did hurt himself. He also constantly hits his head on everything. Maybe he is just clumsy. I really don't know. I will ask for a referral from their pedi though just to make sure. I would feel terrible if some of this could be prevented. I know what it's like not to be able to see right.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #20
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

My niece got glasses at 18 months old. We could tell her vision was compromised because if you were walking towards her, her eyes would light up and get excited to see you only around ten feet in front of her, whereas she should have been able to tell it was someone special from further back. We experimented with that for a little while and it was pretty much every time - her interest in something would peak only within 10-15 feet in front of her, instead of where "normal" distance vision would be.

HTH.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote