Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #11
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Re: Any LDS mommies out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotLad View Post
Reading "under the banner of heaven" to get an accurate portrayal of the LDS faith is like asking a duck to explain global warming.

Warren Jeffs and his followers are not members of the LDS church, nor have they been for over 100 years. Dude is scary and crazy.
Right, that's why I said I didn't think it was accurate in terms of portraying the lifestyle of LDS followers... BUT it does explain the basic differences in LDS beliefs from other Protestants.

I understand--there have been (and are) many insane Baptists...

Advertisement

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #12
Airyl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am too! There is a lot of misinformation out there about us, so its best to go straight to the source, so to speak. mormon.org is a really good resource, as well as the missionaries and church members. We're regular people who are doing our best to follow Jesus Christ. We believe in the Bible, the Book of Mormon, and modern day prophets. We love our families and believe we can be with them forever. I love the church, and I know in my heart that its the right path for me, and I feel good about raising the children in the church.

I hope you find the answers you're looking for. Joining the LDS church has been a huge blessing in my life.

As a tangent, the FLDS church (Warren Jeffs, etc.) is a group that splintered off a long time ago, and I wouldn't use their doctrine to judge the LDS church. Its not the same.

I am a child of God.
Airyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #13
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Can I ask why coffee is off limits?
Old 12-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #14
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
Can I ask why coffee is off limits?
You bet.

http://mormon.org/faq/topic/health/q.../law-of-health
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #15
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotLad View Post
thank you. I have another question (sorry ). Alcohol, coffee, tobacco, drugs are off limits. I can totally understand. Growing up SDA we had a lot of off limit stuff too. But people did drink wine back in biblical times. Why is it different now?
Old 12-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #16
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

My in laws who are Lds said they aren't supposed to have choc either bc it contains caffeine but they don't follow that. They don't do coffee bc they just don't like it
Old 12-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #17
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisyma View Post
My in laws who are Lds said they aren't supposed to have choc either bc it contains caffeine but they don't follow that. They don't do coffee bc they just don't like it
Im LDS too, and I live in Utah, and I have NEVER heard we aren't suppose to eat chocolate. We have chocolate cake served at church parties all the time. For more information on the things we belive in taking into our bodies and keeping out of our bodies it is called the word of wisdom. If you go to www.lds.org and search it, you will find tons of information. There are plenty of myths about what we believe, a lot of them are simply not true.

Also, please don't judge the faith based on Warren Jeffs and his followers, they are not members of the LDS church.

Last edited by slimy72; 12-18-2012 at 02:04 PM.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #18
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Getting off topic here, but there is no LDS doctrine that says caffeine is off limits. Some people interpret no coffee into no caffeine, but there has never been any official church doctrine to that effect. As for chocolate that is completely and totally okay!
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #19
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
thank you. I have another question (sorry ). Alcohol, coffee, tobacco, drugs are off limits. I can totally understand. Growing up SDA we had a lot of off limit stuff too. But people did drink wine back in biblical times. Why is it different now?
I'm not LDS and I'm not sure I totally believe this myself but I have heard that the wine back in the Bible was a lot less alcoholic than it is today. It was more like a grape juice. But we do see people in the Bible got drunk so they were drinking alcoholic beverages.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #20
Airyl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
That would be a personal preference. There is no actual doctrinal rule regarding caffiene. Some people choose to avoid it because of the possibility of dependence, or the way they interpret the word of wisdom. Coffee, on the other hand is a no-no.

I am a child of God.
Airyl is offline   Reply With Quote