Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Two in cloth diapers - which diaper bag?

In 6 months I'm going to have two children in cloth full time. My diaper bag already is stuffed full and doesn't close with one child. What diaper bag do you recommend? I'm almost tempted to use a carry-on suitcase. Then at least everything would be nicely organized and it'd have wheels!

Advertisement

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Can you share your contents and what your typical day involves?
Old 12-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Re: Two in cloth diapers - which diaper bag?

Well, for my daughter in her bag is:
A thin blanket
Change of clothes
wipes
5 pocket diapers
a couple prefolds
a cover
a wetbag
some fleece liners
2 books
a couple small toys
a small container of snacks
a spoon
sometimes a sweater
Sometimes baby food
Oh, and when I was nursing, my nursing cover
We don't go out every day, if we do and I bring the diaper bag we are going to church or to visit people so we will be gone for a bit. If I'm just going to the store I don't even bring the diaper bag. I keep a disposable diaper in the car.
It's jammed packed. I don't know how I'll fit everything for two babies. I don't even think I carry a lot.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys

Last edited by chandni3; 12-18-2012 at 12:04 PM.
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandni3
Well, for my daughter in her bag is:
A thin blanket
Change of clothes
wipes
5 pocket diapers
a couple prefolds
a cover
a wetbag
some fleece liners
2 books
a couple small toys
a small container of snacks
a spoon
sometimes a sweater
Sometimes baby food
Oh, and when I was nursing, my nursing cover
We don't go out every day, if we do and I bring the diaper bag we are going to church or to visit people so we will be gone for a bit. If I'm just going to the store I don't even bring the diaper bag. I keep a disposable diaper in the car.
It's jammed packed. I don't know how I'll fit everything for two babies. I don't even think I carry a lot.
Ok, it sounds like you have the same issues I had. What I did was really analyze what I NEED to have at all times, and what is "just in case." Are you generally within walking distance of your car? If so, you probably only need one diaper change for the older and two for the newbie. If you have OS diapers, you can just put three in and use them for whoever needs them, then restock as you go. Have a bin or hanging organizer in your car for the "just in case" stuff and extra diapers.

Switch out the wipes and blanket for a couple flour sack towels or flats. They are so multipurpose and pack down neatly. They can be used as wipes, changing pad covers, light blankets, nursing covers, bibs...

Invest in one emergency outfit each that packs down as small as possible. We LOVE bamboo dreams dream sacks line - it folds tiny, has fit DD since she was 9mos, and still fits at 2.5y. This outfit lives in the diaper bag and only comes out to be used, washed, and re-placed.

Pick two snack items (I generally go with a wet and a dry) and stick to them. It's easier to keep your bag organized if you know exactly what goes in every time. For example, two pouches of applesauce and a reusable baggie of goldfish crackers. Try to escape from the tendency to have one of everything your kid might want - they only want what you aren't carrying anyway Once DD realized that I didn't have ten options on hand, she cut down on snacking and ate better meals, too.

Strategize on toys/books - weigh space/packability vs entertainment value, and again stick to a couple (or a few) that always live in the bag. A car mat, crayon roll and mini notepad, puzzle block, or snapazoo are all good, compact options for a toddler. Remember to take advantage of local resources when out and about - straws, magazines, chopsticks, etc make great distractions and you don't have to carry them around!

As far as a new bag, think about how you use your bag now. Lands End totes come in lots of sizes and are a good choice if you want a devoted diaper bag that stands up and open on it's own. Petunia Picklebottom has a variety of large bags that accommodate a mom who uses the bag as a purse and diaper solution in one. LeSportsac has several great options - including one actually marketed as a diaper bag.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
jessicacarol
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When I had 2 in cloth I got the skip hop duo double and it worked great for us!
Old 12-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
amegrl520
Registered Users
seller

You should look into jujube bags. They are awesome for quality and organization. They are expensive new but hold up well. You can get them cheaper on the fb fsot group or their pink room.

amegrl520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I changed to flip stay dry inserts. I can stack 6-8 and 3 covers for the size/space of 4 pockets.

I just stopped packing toys and books. I have one teething ring and two small cars. My snacks are fruit snack packages, so that cuts on space. Change of clothes are always footed sleepers for the baby. And a change in the car for the toddler. And my thin blanket for nursing hangs out in the carseat thing for the baby.

I have a oioi (free!) and a JJ Cole ($15 on clearNce) and I like a baby of mine from walmart till the zipper broke.

If I'm gone all day I pack one bag of stuff and one of dipes. but mostly use just one.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum

Last edited by thirdtimemomma; 12-18-2012 at 03:00 PM.
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i dot use one, i keep a chicobag with dipes and change clothes in the car.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:58 AM   #9
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

I used two diaper bags. I had 3 in diapers though and I had to bottlefeed so that stuff took extra room.

We used a backpack-diaper bag for the older ones with their diapers, sippies, snacks, special waiting room toys, wipies, etc in it. And then used a traditional diaper bag for the baby so the bottles and all that gear didn't get mixed up with the older ones (and so I wasn't digging around like crazy for this and that).

I have 2 in cloth diapers right now and can get by with one diaper bag (it's a large clinique bag actually!) because baby girl is 1 year old and passed bottles. If I would need extra space, I bought my 3 older boys their own toddler backpacks and would just put my 2 year old's diapers and sippy in his own backpack to carry around.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:38 AM   #10
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
I keep a change of clothes in the car always, not the diaper bag, except for an infant. I also kept a Bum Genius in the car at all times, the equal to your disposable I guess. That way I could scoot out if I had to.

I don't know the ages of your kids, but in all likelihood your elder will not need as much as you are carrying now (if you need that much to begin with). As babies turn into toddlers they need less and less stuff to go out with.

I settled into a comfortable arrangement with two different bags. I have a Storksak Claire that converts to a backpack and has stroller clips, which is perfect for outings like museum and zoo. I also have a custom Timbuk2 tote for all other things like visits to family and appointments. It looks like Storksak is getting unbelievably pricey though. They were kinda expensive before, now they seem out of my range.