Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #51
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is there a way to prevent pooping while pushing? :(

I have not pooped on the table/during labor/pushing with any of mine.

My disclaimer is that each one the pushing part was only about 5 min/3 to 5 pushes with each one. So maybe that is the key.

Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #52
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I really understand your fear. My last birth 11.5 wks ago was my first unmedicated one. With my previous 3, I don't think I pooped, but I suspect I probably did. I had epi's and I probably just didn't feel it and couldn't see it. I assume I did and they discreetly wiped it away quickly.

Anyway, one of the things I worried about most was pooping. Everyone told me not to and I really tried not to worry. People also told me, like someone said on this thread, that I wouldn't care in the moment. Well, I absolutely cared in the moment. I was crying (and not from pain, but from this issue) and was basically trying not to push to keep from pooping. They had to really insist it was okay and to keep pushing. I was just utterly mortified about it. But everyone was very gracious and didn't mention it other than to gently respond to my cries and mortified pleas for it not to happen. My fear did cause me to fight pushing when it happened though because I was so worried about it.

I would encourage you to try to deal with this as best as you can ahead of time, knowing it's an worrisome issue for you. I wouldn't let the people who laughed in the room again. (That is SO not okay.) And discuss with your care provider and hubby that you are worried about it and want it taken care of discreetly and gently handled. to you!!
Old 12-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #53
AmJoyFul
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerissa View Post
I have not pooped on the table/during labor/pushing with any of mine.

My disclaimer is that each one the pushing part was only about 5 min/3 to 5 pushes with each one. So maybe that is the key.
Same here
Old 12-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #54
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenAppenzeller View Post
It really surprises me that so many people are that embarrassed about talking about poop with their husbands! I guess were pretty open about everything at our house. And yes poop is funny but everybody does it and I find its more awkward the more you try and pretend you dont do it. Pooping on display like that would be horrible tho, so sorry that was part of your birth experience.
Me too. I had a bad bout of constipation postpartum b/c I didn't stay hydrated which resulted in my SO having to give me an enama and let me hug him and scream while I pooped. It hurt worse than labor, no joke. I would have a conversation with your family who will be in the room (and maybe consider having less people there) about being considerate of your feelings, especially your DH. I agree with the pp who said that sometimes people laugh at inappropriate times and don't mean it in a mean way but they should still prepare themselves to SUPPORT you! If they can't do that then they have no right to be there.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #55
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Totally pooped. Nurse said not to worry, it meant i was pushing the baby the right way. She also used the tube of toothpaste analogy. Lucky for me, dh was sleeping on the couch at this time.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:32 PM   #56
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

One thing you could plan for - to help give yourself a bit more privacy - is to have any gawkers stand at the head of the bed. They'll be able to see baby pop out and be lifted to your arms, but a direct view of your perineum and potential poop would be completely blocked. You can also ask for a drape to be put around so that only the nurse/doctor can see the baby crowning and being born. If I was in your situation and was set on having others in the room, I'd personally feel better blocking it off like that. And if anyone complained I'd send them to the waiting room.

Or I'd be handing out those little doggy poop baggies in the bone shaped dispenser and telling them anyone who gave me sh** about taking a sh** would be taking some sh** home with them as a souvenir.

But my family constantly jokes about poop.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #57
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

My dh would NEVER attend another of his children's births if he dared laugh at anything involving my birth. i am completely serious. he would never have that privilege.

that said, i luckily didn't poop. i don't think there is anything you can do to prevent it.

EDIT: i do have to say that I took two megadoses of castor oil, midwife directed, to induce contractions after my water broke. i crapped myself with hardcore diarrhea for over 24 hours. very painful, didn't work... will NEVER do it again under any circumstances. this MAY have contributed to the no poop, on top of the fact that i didn't eat... but i can't be sure.

Last edited by JustSomeChickVee; 12-27-2012 at 06:01 PM.
JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #58
pottermomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I worried about that... and I hear that the chances are really high but honestly, I have no idea whether I did or not! I wasn't really focusing on it but getting my chunker out of me! lol! I didn't notice anyone (mom and dh) act like I had in the process but it is a little fuzzy now that I try and think back...

But yeah, I don't think short of 'cleaning' your system out when you first go into labor you can't really do anything to stop it.
pottermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #59
xoxoproverbs31
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Um yes. Haha at least if you're late, you could do castor oil shots. I finished 1.5 bottles and unfortunately it didn't help on set labor at all HOWEVER I didn't have to poop for like 3+ days after giving birth. It was glorious!
xoxoproverbs31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #60
MegERjd
Registered Users
seller

My bodied emptied itself in early labor and I didn't poo. Lol but honestly even if I would have, at that point I wouldn't have cared a bit. . Don't stress about it. Doubt ull even think of it in the moment.
MegERjd is offline   Reply With Quote