Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
k_apple
Registered Users
seller

Becoming minimalist

Hi! I recently moved and am just about done unpacking all of our stuff. I want to start things out right (at least my opinion of right) with not collecting excess stuff. Any recommendations on how to best purge to become a minimalist (details are great)? Also, how do you deal with gifts? Especially those from grandparents?

Thanks!

Advertisement

k_apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Becoming minimalist

I just picked a room and started purging..when I was satisfied (for now) I moved to the next one. And presents around here tend to disappear lol Or I send the presents TO the grandparents houses. I did a huge purge of DD's room since I knew her birthday and Christmas were coming up. So even if she gets a bunch of junk there is room for it and it can slowly disappear too I am not a minimalist but I have decluttered A TON!
Old 12-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:

You can always try to make sure you're keeping things that you and your family use or things that you love. If it's not useful and you don't love it, then sell, donate or recycle/trash. There are always exceptions, but those 2 qualities should help you decide what to allow to stay in your house. As for the gifts, if you search for "toys" in the
Minimalist Families sub-forum, you should be able to find a lot of helpful posts. And next year, you might want to TRY to recommend experience gifts (museum memberships, park passes, dance classes, IOUs for day trips, sleepovers, whatever) for the kids.
Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
k_apple
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the tips!
Old 12-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

What I have found helpful is I have one area (dds room) that I keep up with. There really isn't anything in there that isn't used/needed/loved. I can go in her room now and breath a sigh of relief. Seeing her room motivates me to do something elsewhere in the house. I can clean her room in literally minutes. I LOVE how easy and simple it is!
Old 12-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

My best piece of advice to is start by making lists of how much of any given thing is right for you, and then "shop" from the stuff you already have based on the lists.

For example (and this will sound excessive to many), I think the ideal number of dishes for my family of six is 12 dinner plates, 12 bowls, 12 water glasses, 12 custard bowls, 12 sets of silverware, 6 baby spoons, 6 sippy cups, 6 dessert plates, and 6 mugs. We all six of us eat four times a day in our home, so we need a lot of dishes to get through the day. I run the dishwasher every evening after supper and it is usually totally full (when you add utensils and mixing bowls and such) and there is not much left in the cupboards for dishes.

Another example, I have one set of twin sized bedsheets, one winter blanket, one throw (for naps and really cold nights), one wool mattress pad, one quilt, and one wool pillow for each child's bed. Plus one extra set of twin bedsheets (one for all four beds, not one for each bed) in case of illness. More than that, I have found, truly never get used.

So if you can sit down and figure out what your family needs BEFORE you start purging, then it makes it much less emotional to go thru the stuff and "shop" for what you need, then box up the rest.

Last edited by Melinda29; 12-27-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
k_apple
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29
My best piece of advice to is start by making lists of how much of any given thing is right for you, and then "shop" from the stuff you already have based on the lists.

For example (and this will sound excessive to many), I think the ideal number of dishes for my family of six is 12 dinner plates, 12 bowls, 12 water glasses, 12 custard bowls, 12 sets of silverware, 6 baby spoons, 6 sippy cups, 6 dessert plates, and 6 mugs. We all six of us eat four times a day in our home, so we need a lot of dishes to get through the day. I run the dishwasher every evening after supper and it is usually totally full (when you add utensils and mixing bowls and such) and there is not much left in the cupboards for dishes.

Another example, I have one set of twin sized bedsheets, one winter blanket, one throw (for naps and really cold nights), one wool mattress pad, one quilt, and one wool pillow for each child's bed. Plus one extra set of twin bedsheets (one for all four beds, not one for each bed) in case of illness. More than that, I have found, truly never get used.

So if you can sit down and figure out what your family needs BEFORE you start purging, then it makes it much less emotional to go thru the stuff and "shop" for what you need, then box up the rest.
That is a really good way of doing it! Maybe it will help me prioritize... I love all the ideas that I'm getting!
Old 12-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
momof_3

Formerly: momof_2girls
seller
seller

My Mood:
Subscribing this. I am very interested. We have tons of clutter!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:56 PM   #9
snugwee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you find that you have less clothing to wash and things to maintain with the minimalist approach you are taking? Anyone?

www.snugwee.com
"Like it was made just for your baby!"
snugwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #10
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugwee View Post
Do you find that you have less clothing to wash and things to maintain with the minimalist approach you are taking? Anyone?
Yes, definitely. We have the same number of loads of laundry, because we wear the same amount of clothing (well, we try to wear shirts and jeans 2-3 times before washing if possible, as we don't do sweaty work or anything too messy). But the stuff going into the machine in truly dirty, and each piece of clothing in our wardrobes actually gets WORN . My closet (and those of my kids and hubby) is so neat and organized. We each have 10 long-sleeved shirts, 10 short-sleeved shirts, 5 pairs pants, 5 pairs shorts/capris, 10 pairs socks, 10 pairs underwear, 3 dressy winter outfits, 3 dressy summer outfits, a swimsuit, heavy coat, jacket, 2 pair pajamas, 1 pair casual shoes, 1 pair crocs, 1 pair dressy sandals, 1 pair dressy winter shoes, and 1 pair waterproof insulated boots. Everything is easy to find. Everything in season gets worn at least once every two weeks, so by the time the style dramatically changes or I am sick of the the item, it is usually totally worn out anyway. I can afford a bit nicer clothes, since there aren't so many, and plan on some pieces (like the boots) lasting for years.

I also spend less time cleaning and maintaining my home. I actually get asked on a regular basis if I have a cleaning service come in . Nope, and my kitchen floor hasn't been mopped in two weeks. Somehow when there isn't much clutter, things seem cleaner and more peaceful. My kids don't have many toys compard to others, but they play for hours with what they do have.

We are pretty minimalist in all areas, not just our stuff, but how we spend our time. Not many extracurricular activities, just long leisurely evenings together, enjoying our time as a family. When crises happen, they don't totally rock our world. We have the time and serenity to handle whatever is thrown at us.

Hope this helps
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote