Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Broke my tail bone last delivery, what to do with this one?

In my last delivery, I had a 36 weeker. He was born at a healthy 7lbs even. I only pushed for 4 min and he was out! However, while pushing him out, I broke my coccyx!!! Everyone in the room heard it break, and I yelped. I didn't have any pain meds, so I felt the strain of it just before it broke, and the actual break. It was quite painful.

Now, I'm 6 1/2 weeks pregnant and scared to even give birth. The pain of my tailbone is still there, even 2 1/2 years later! I can't sit in certain positions, and I cannot sit for very long. I can only imagine what it'll be like when I weigh 20+lbs more, 8 months pregnant. I'm even more scared to push the baby out. My last one, I was on my side pushing him out. My first born I may have broke my tailbone as well, or at least strained it pretty bad. I was on my back with my legs in the air with that birth.

Sigh, is there anything I can do to avoid another break? I don't want a c-sec.

Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Broke my tail bone last delivery, what to do with this one?

Squatting position for pushing should help, I think.

Maybe another mama could chime in.

I would definitely think a better position to ease the pressure on the tailbone would be one where the majority of your weight is not on your back.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
calleiah
Registered Users
seller

Has anyone actually taken a look (xray) at your tailbone? I would say avoid all laying down positions for delivery and possibly see a Chiropractor. I fell on a wooden stage when I was young and had a chronically displaced tailbone that my chiro fixed. It's not given me any issues since.
calleiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:

Pushing in a squat should help. I did something funky to mine during my first delivery and it hurt for a long time. But I pushed upright the last 2 births and have been fine. Actually leaning forward was really good.
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am getting shivers just reading that. I broke my tailbone with my first, but then went on to have 2 babies afterwards with no break.

For me, I think size of the baby played a HUGE role. My oldest was 8lbs 1oz, my next 2 were in the 6lb range.

I delivered in the same position for all 3 (on my back) because that is what felt comfortable to me, I wouldn't have been opposed to another way, but it was like once they were coming, they were coming and that's just how it ended up. No time to think about moving or getting into a good position. I would guess though that changing position to take pressure off of your tailbone *could* help though.

I was told after my first that it would most likely happen with every delivery (as that had been my Dr's experience with several moms) and they recommended a c-section. I decided to give it one more try natural to see what would happen, but I probably would have elected for a c-section for subsequent births had I broken it a second time. That is pain that no one should have to go through.

My first was 11 days early, and my next 2 36.5 and 37 weeks early, I have a very irritable uterus so luckily I've just been able to sort of self induce when I know the babies are big enough to be fine, but not so big I am going to break my tailbone again.

How big were your other babies that you didn't break it with? Any other differences?
Old 12-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son was 8lbs 1oz (probable that my tailbone was fractured) on my back for birth
My daughter was 7lbs 13oz on my side for the birth
My 2nd daughter was 6lbs 12oz on my back for the birth
my 2nd son was 7lbs even (tailbone fractured for sure) on my side for the birth

I see my midwife in 2 weeks, and I was also thinking of squatting for the delivery. I'd like to discuss it with her right away so I can ease my mind, as well as my mother who is also freaking out about this whole pregnancy thing! LOL!
Old 12-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
Nickel+3
Registered Users
Formerly: nickel+2
seller

My Mood:
No experience with that, but I'd recommend squatting and leaning forward or maybe on your hands and knees for the birth. Also, keep those hips limber. Do lots of stretches and yoga
#4 due in October!
Nickel+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #8
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I second the chiro! Also, I know a woman who was told that she would need a csection because her tailbone was broken (not by a birth, she had a primary csection), but she went on to precipitously birth her second child by unplanned vbac, despite the broken tailbone. I think that a chiropractor could be very helpful, then try to stay off of your pelvis during the birth.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
divergirldee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
Squatting position for pushing should help, I think.

Maybe another mama could chime in.

I would definitely think a better position to ease the pressure on the tailbone would be one where the majority of your weight is not on your back.
Yeah that ^^ squatting or kneeling should help open you up and get the pressure off you tailbone