Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-19-2012, 03:01 AM   #1
lovebear
Registered Users

How do you take a bath after C-section?

This was actually the hardest part of my routine after I came from a CS operation due to pain on the operated area. I simply used a cloth, soaked it with warm water and soap mixture and wring it before wiping my skin. I was told not to wet the area that was stitched up. It was so painful that I had to wrap my tummy with a towel in order not wet it.

Advertisement

lovebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:24 AM   #2
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Re: How do you take a bath after C-section?

I have never been told not to get the incision wet. Even with my first shower 3 days after the surgery I was told to run the water over it and just not use soap. I personally do not recall that causing any discomfort or pain. Walking and bending or sitting up is what caused me the most pain.

I was told I could shower or bath just to make sure the scar is fully dry so I would lay naked a while after showering to allow it to air dry.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:05 AM   #3
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

I was told not to bathe, but to take showers and then let the incision area dry off. Oh, and not to use bath soap in the incision, but dial instead. I did as the PP said, and laid flat, naked, quite a bit to dry that area out and keep it aired out.

Showers were hard for me for the first week (the prolonged standing, bending down to wash my legs, using ab muscles to lift my arms to wash my long hair, etc. was painful; but not the washing the incision... my area is pretty much numb on the outside of the skin).
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:08 AM   #4
tjs77tsa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was allowed to shower the next day but I was told no baths for 3 weeks.
tjs77tsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:27 AM   #5
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

I found a bath stool really helpful in the shower so I didnt have to bend.

I was also told I could bathe, though I didnt until around 4 weeks PP. But not to use public pools or bathe with the children until the bleeding stopped. Which it did around 6 weeks and now I bathe with both my sons again.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #6
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

My husband showered with me for awhile and did most of the washing. I don't take baths so I have no idea how long they told me to wait (if they did). My c-sec was early evening on a Friday, and I was in the shower by Sunday. I think I could've showered Saturday but I had HELLP syndrome so I was in bad shape still Saturday on the medication for that.

I don't recall any incision pain while showing either but it's possible the pain was overriding enough that I just don't remember specific instances of pain. I was not one of those "this is no big deal" c-sec moms. I remember being in quite a bit of pain actually and I don't look forward to it should I have to have another!

Last edited by Mom2Connor; 12-19-2012 at 06:28 AM.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:51 AM   #7
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was able to shower right away, wasn't told to keep the area from getting wet - that crud needs to get washed off, and I think just recommended no baths for a week or so - basically until I felt like I could get in and out/up and down from the tub. (it's been over 6 years, so I may not be remembering completely correctly)
I don't bathe normally anyways, so it wasn't a big deal for me. I mean, I shower daily, but I don't have baths often - not that I don't bathe at all!!!
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #8
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

double post...

Last edited by canadianbakers; 12-19-2012 at 06:59 AM.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #9
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think I was told just showers for the first 6 weeks. I have had 2 c-sections and I think that is what I remember. It honestly isn't much different then the embryo transfer so I didn't think much about it. To me the worst part was finding hot water in the hospital! For that reason I try to only take one shower in the hospital if I can help it. With my son, I woke up early and took a shower before going in for the planned c-section just so I could avoid it for a few days. I also hate taking showers with IV's as that can be a big pain too. However once I am home I am normally pretty good (at least I was with the 2 c-sections that I have had.

I did learn that you want to make sure the seri-strips (spelling could be off there) fall off before the 6 week post op. I thought they should stay on with my first c-section and the doctor was grossed out.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #10
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

They told me no baths until I stopped bleeding completely spotting and all. Showering wasn't that bad, I actually looked forward to it. I hated being covered in all that iodine and gunk from the surgery. I had my dh wash my hair so I didn't have to stretch but everything else I did normally. I always waited until an hour after I had just taken pain meds to so that I wasn't in pain and I did rinse the incision, patted dry and the hospital I was at had me put one of the maxi pads across it to keep things dry and pad it a bit. It really wasn't that bad for me.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote