Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Does anyone make a SSC that puts less weight on the hips?

My husband never loved the ergo. He wasn't comfortable and never looked comfortable. Most of it is his lack of hips for the belt to rest on.

Anyone thing that cross over straps would work better for a man? Any experience with this?

Is there a SSC that puts more weight on the shoulders than the hips?

thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3863 (2) (424x800).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	127859  

Advertisement

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 12-19-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

I don't think you will find one that puts more weight on the shoulders because that would really hurt the back, but my husband hated the ergo and we big LOVE the OhSnap by Babyhawk for wearing our toddlers. My 18 month old and my 3 year old are both still very comfortable to carry on our backs at 25 & 32 pounds. It also has a much higher back than many other SSCs so it holds the child in more securely.
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone make a SSC that puts less weight on the hips?

thanks!
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Old 12-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
desibob
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinLou View Post
I don't think you will find one that puts more weight on the shoulders because that would really hurt the back, but my husband hated the ergo and we big LOVE the OhSnap by Babyhawk for wearing our toddlers. My 18 month old and my 3 year old are both still very comfortable to carry on our backs at 25 & 32 pounds. It also has a much higher back than many other SSCs so it holds the child in more securely.
Is there an age/weight minimum for the OhSnap?
desibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.babyhawk.com/Policies/#faq2
15 - 45 lbs
Old 12-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's probably a matter of finding something that fits him better. I used an Ergo before and had constant hip pain. I thought it was residual pain from being pregnant and having my 2nd section since DS was still really young. At 8 months, we switched to a Boba and OMG the comfiness! The hip pain went away instantly.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
babydirtybike
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I found sscs with non padded waists took away that bulk at the hips. You can tie apron style like a mei tai, but still get the convenience of buckles. I was surprised at the comfort of a pikkolo for a heavy (30lb) two year old. Definitely see if you have a bw group around to try a few other waist bands. It's amazing how different all the SSCs feel and fit.
DD Maria November 2/2010

New baby coming March 2013!
babydirtybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

that is an interesting idea! If we end up with a #2 I will be looking into that for sure. Thanks!
Old 12-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #9
Ecdyses
Registered Users
seller

Kangas (Bloo kangaroo) are worn at the waist and carry higher and tighter than most other SSCs, so the weight is distributed more in the upper back and shoulders, basically feels more like a wrap or Mei Tai. The straps are also very flat and can be crossed. Maybe give one a try? I don't see them often on DS, but they show up on TBW FSOT and right now a number of semi-customs are available instock on the bloo kangaroo website.
Ecdyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #10
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:

I've seen people doing high back carries in ssc like an ergo. Try snapping the waist band just under your bust area that way it's not really on your hips. I would try that before investing in a new carrier since you already have an ergo
SillyEllie is offline   Reply With Quote