Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Switching to wool & natural fibers

How many longies/soakers/wraps are recommended if I were to use wool full time?
How many fitteds for a 10 month old?

Advertisement

kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Switching to wool & natural fibers

we do wool & fitteds full time.

how many diaper changes do you do in a day? & how often do you want to wash?

I think a good stash is 36+ fitteds, but you could probably get away w/ 18-24

I'd say you'll need at least 3 day covers & 2 night.

I have much more than that, but DH likes for us to have enough diapers to go a week w/o washing if we have to. DS also rarely wears 'regular' pants, so I consider his longies 1/2 a diapering purchase & 1/2 a clothing purchase.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmm, I have a decent stash of prefolds and pul covers. The prefolds only fit if they're trifolded in a cover and don't fit wrapped around her anymore, so I can't use them under the wool. I have 3 fitteds and 1 Disana soaker I use for night time. I want some more fitteds and wool longies for daytime around the house. I'm thinking 18 would be good for us.

Do prefolds trifolded work in a wool wrap? Or do you need the the fitteds to contain poo so you're not overwashing the wool?
Old 12-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydove View Post
Hmm, I have a decent stash of prefolds and pul covers. The prefolds only fit if they're trifolded in a cover and don't fit wrapped around her anymore, so I can't use them under the wool. I have 3 fitteds and 1 Disana soaker I use for night time. I want some more fitteds and wool longies for daytime around the house. I'm thinking 18 would be good for us.

Do prefolds trifolded work in a wool wrap? Or do you need the the fitteds to contain poo so you're not overwashing the wool?
I wouldn't do trifolded in a wool wrap b/c it would be annoying to have to wash the wool that much. I'd look into larger prefolds that you can snappi or pin if you're wanting to use prefolds.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

If you just want the wool to go under clothing 3-4 covers is good. We did full time cloth with 24 prefolds with ds1.

If the diapers are nolonger going around baby try the smart fit or GMD prefolds.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would rather skip prefolds pinned or snappi'ed, DD is too wiggly to get them on her. So I'm looking for affordable fitteds for daytime. I have some great ones for nighttime already.

Nickis diapers just released a snapless fitted. I'm deducing that snappis are fine under wool longies and don't snag the wool? Anybody use boingos?

Last edited by kaydove; 12-20-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also, do you reuse longies at each diaper change or do they need time to air out?
Old 12-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

As long as you are changing regularly with an absorbent diaper they should be fine all day. I personally would not want to do less than 36 diapers just as far as wear and tear. For wool we have about 6-8 pieces at any given time. I could do with more but we usually do them under clothes at this age so it's fine.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydove View Post
Also, do you reuse longies at each diaper change or do they need time to air out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonipie View Post
As long as you are changing regularly with an absorbent diaper they should be fine all day. I personally would not want to do less than 36 diapers just as far as wear and tear. For wool we have about 6-8 pieces at any given time. I could do with more but we usually do them under clothes at this age so it's fine.
exactly what I was going to say we use the same pair all day, but we use a good absorbent fitted under. I check him often so he very very rarely gets SOAKED.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I change every two hours by default, unless she's sleeping. Deciding whether I should bite the bullet and get a pair of sustainablebabyish wool longies that I could get for $50.25 new on Weedle Weedle.