Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #31
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraElise
Personally I'd go with #1 for the money aspect, then again I would never had a doula at my birth anyway, so take my opinion with a grain of salt!

A good friend of mine was recently a doula for another family friends daughter and her own daughter in law. They were due a month apart almost exactly with first babies. The friend went a week late, the DIL went 3 weeks early and she had to leave during transition of the first birth to go be with her son and DIL.

Unless someone is totally free anytime you could possibly go into labor I think it would be hard to plan around other births.

But having a back up would be nice with #2, I just couldn't imagine spending all of that money when chances were good things would work out fine with #1
That's ridiculous!! She left a mom in transition?! That poor mom. :-(

Advertisement

BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #32
maddys_mama
Registered Users

My Mood:
I would go with #2. We are a military family so I understand the no family and friends nearby thing. If I knew there was a chance that DH wouldn't be there, I'd absolutely spend the extra money on the doula who has a better chance of being there.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #33
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Is there any way you can work with them both to figure out an alternative plan but some how end up paying less than $800?
What would doula #1 do if she couldn't be there for your labor? Would she refund the entire amount? Keep $100? Say you pay #2 a deposit of $200 and if your original doula ends up being unavailable and doesn't charge you anything or only $100 and you keep #2 and pay the balance after. If #1 is available then you pay her the $250 and #2 keeps the $200 deposit for her availability. Then you're still paying less than $800 if #1 is available and only whatever the #1 doula charges if she can't be there if anything.

Is this totally unrealistic and not possible?
Old 12-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #34
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
Is there any way you can work with them both to figure out an alternative plan but some how end up paying less than $800?
What would doula #1 do if she couldn't be there for your labor? Would she refund the entire amount? Keep $100? Say you pay #2 a deposit of $200 and if your original doula ends up being unavailable and doesn't charge you anything or only $100 and you keep #2 and pay the balance after. If #1 is available then you pay her the $250 and #2 keeps the $200 deposit for her availability. Then you're still paying less than $800 if #1 is available and only whatever the #1 doula charges if she can't be there if anything.

Is this totally unrealistic and not possible?
That seems like a lot of stuff I'd rather pick one and be done with it. I get what your saying though. Both doulas do two get together before the birth. So this would add to the confusion.

If #1 can't make it to the birth she keeps half the price.

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016

Last edited by kushie tushie; 12-21-2012 at 06:10 AM.
kushie tushie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:48 AM   #35
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Doula help- what would you do?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
That's ridiculous!! She left a mom in transition?! That poor mom. :-(
She left because her own daughter in law was the other mom in labor with her grand daughter.

The first mom was more than understanding under the circumstances!
Old 12-21-2012, 06:24 AM   #36
ayer79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Just reading these, you seem to be defending picking number 2. Honestly, I think you've made up your mind already. If you've got the money, then ease your mind by committing.

I, personally, would pick number one or find another doula. I wouldn't pay $800 for a doula, but that's me. Mine was $450 and she did pre-delivery care and postpartum. I get not wanting to deliver alone, but are there no other doulas in the area? The birth center should have a list of more than 2. The rarity of you delivery at the exact time is pretty rare.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:31 AM   #37
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayer79 View Post
Just reading these, you seem to be defending picking number 2. Honestly, I think you've made up your mind already. If you've got the money, then ease your mind by committing.

I, personally, would pick number one or find another doula. I wouldn't pay $800 for a doula, but that's me. Mine was $450 and she did pre-delivery care and postpartum. I get not wanting to deliver alone, but are there no other doulas in the area? The birth center should have a list of more than 2. The rarity of you delivery at the exact time is pretty rare.
I am. I haven't picked her yet but I feel like everyone is saying pick one... when that option may leave more completely alone.

We are a military family with no family close by. The few friends I do have are all on stand by to watch my kids. Yes the price difference sucks but $800-1000 is the norm in this area. So Doula #1 is just a really good deal. I really don't want to be alone. Right now the thought of that makes me sad.

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #38
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

If it meant I might be alone I'd pick #2 if you can afford it. With DS my sister was with me to help verbalize my wishes and support me and I cannot imagine doing that alone. I think there's a lot of piece of mind in just having someone there just for you.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #39
aaiya
Registered Users
seller

Hire them both if you think they can get along and you can afford it. They will both bring their strengths to the birth and you can send one of them home if she annoys you
Old 12-22-2012, 12:18 AM   #40
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I feel like it's pretty normal to have clients with close EDD - many doulas take multiple clients per month, so someone is typically always due within a week or two of you. I take 2-3 per month and in three years I have yet to have any mama's in labor at the same time - even when they have EDD in the same week. That being said, I also have a back up doula on hand. Anecdotal, but sharing my experience! I honestly wouldn't worry about using a doula with another client who was due at a similar time. However I can understand your fear about being totally alone and it really sounds as if you are pretty set on doula #2 - so I think you know the best choice!
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote