Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
If you did a more natural c-section...

when did you talk to your doctor about it? The first visit, or later on?

I have a consult with my peri (in charge of this pregnancy once I am released from the RE) on January 3 and I am really hoping that this c-section (provided I get to term) is different then my last 2. Should I mention this to him then, or should I wait till I am further along to mention it to him? I will not be released to him till late January, I am just so complicated that I have to get a treatment plan for that month for the RE to use on me.

Thank you for your help!

Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
iwiamandaiwi
Registered Users

Re: If you did a more natural c-section...

i've never heard of a natural c-section. You've peaked my interest...how could surgery of any kind be natural?
Old 12-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwiamandaiwi View Post
i've never heard of a natural c-section. You've peaked my interest...how could surgery of any kind be natural?

Yeah curious as well.

I have had 3 sections. I found it is best to discuss preferences as early as possible. This way if you and your provider just cannot see eye to eye you still have time to change or at the least adjust expectations. The closer o the end you are the harder it is to make changes.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am not talking about not having the spinal.

I want delayed cord clamping, more direct skin contact early on with the baby and that sort of thing. I have kept my port (from Chemo days) in me to help facilitate this. I am hoping that my blood pressure cuff can be put on the same side as my port as my port goes into an artery in my neck. Port is a implanted device where I can give blood, get blood and IV fluids from/to.

Don't get me wrong, I want the baby to be looked at, but I just want the baby to come out and not be ripped from me ASAP. The nurses looking after the baby can come to me, not vise versa. I don't know how much of this I can get but I am really going to try for it. I am also refusing eye drops on the baby.

Some hospitals allow for this. I am hoping that because my Peri has seen me go through 2 rather traumatic births (both times I couldn't see my children for 24 hours after they were born) as they all (3 children) went straight to the NICU. I understand this with my triplets (one died in delivery room) as they were born at 24 weeks, however my son was born at 38 weeks and could have had some of this. It wasn't as critical to get him down there ASAP.

I am just trying to figure out when is best to talk to my doctor about my hopes.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

There is NO way I would change providers. I am VERY picky and very difficult patient generally speaking. My oncologist nearly dropped me when I was in the middle of chemo. Yeah I am demanding. I can read all of my doctors right now so I need to keep them. It is that important.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
Nicolenutt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I wish I had talked to my doc sooner, as it was ds came 4 wks early, before I even met with the surgeon who was going to perform the section.
I assume you mean waiting to clamp/cut the cord, letting your uterus contract around babes body once his head is delivered to help clear lungs, nurse in recovery?

I didn't tell my doc any of this and ds ended up in the nicu with wet lung (super common in section babes bc of the lack of squeezing). Could we have avoided it? I don't know but I sure would have loved the chance to try.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Thumbs down Re: If you did a more natural c-section...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post

I want delayed cord clamping, more direct skin contact early on with the baby and that sort of thing. I have kept my port (from Chemo days) in me to help facilitate this. I am hoping that my blood pressure cuff can be put on the same side as my port as my port goes into an artery in my neck. Port is a implanted device where I can give blood, get blood and IV fluids from/to.

Don't get me wrong, I want the baby to be looked at, but I just want the baby to come out and not be ripped from me ASAP. The nurses looking after the baby can come to me, not vise versa. I don't know how much of this I can get but I am really going to try for it. I am also refusing eye drops on the baby.

Some hospitals allow for this. I am hoping that because my Peri has seen me go through 2 rather traumatic births (both times I couldn't see my children for 24 hours after they were born) as they all (3 children) went straight to the NICU. I understand this with my triplets (one died in delivery room) as they were born at 24 weeks, however my son was born at 38 weeks and could have had some of this. It wasn't as critical to get him down there ASAP.

I am just trying to figure out when is best to talk to my doctor about my hopes.
In my experience the sooner tha better. If it is hospital procedure to do things one way and you want things done differently then you need time to convince them why it would be okay to change things up just for you. Then decide which things are most important to you. This way you can give on the lesser issues and stand firm on the more important ones.

Who knows you may wind up changing hospital procedures for the future.

When my first was delivered our local hospital didn't allow babies to be brought to the recovery room. I remember still being strapped to the bed from surgery, still groggy from pain meds and months without adequate sleep. I didn't have it in me to even ask for my baby let alone demand her. Thankfully my mother did. I remember hearing her arguing with the nurses demanding they bring my baby to me. I remember thinking it was only a matter of time before they would give in. No way was my mother going to back down. I was grateful she was able to fight for us because I couldn't do it myself. I remember relaxing and just waiting for my dd to be brought to me. It never entered my head the nurses would win. Sure enough they brought her to me. Unstrapped my arms and offered to help me attempt to nurse her. They informed me my dd was the first baby in this hospital to ever join his/her mother in the recovery room.

Now this is standard procedure in our local hospital. Nurses are encouraged to bring baby in as soon as mother and child are stable.

Last edited by qsefthuko; 12-20-2012 at 09:33 AM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

I asked about being able to hold the baby right after and my OB told me it was up to the anesthesiologist and nursery staff. She said the only reason she could think of for them NOT to let me is because they usually keep the OR cold or if I was having any signs of trouble at all. As far as them keeping it cold in there I came back with throwing a blanket on both of us (she wasn't arguing) but told me SHE didn't have a problem with it but I do new to check with the other Drs when I check in.
I'm scheduled next Friday at 7am, checking in at 5, so hopefully I won't have a problem being able to hold the baby. As far as delayed cord clamping that's something that likely won't happen with me because with every.single.delivery (3 c/s) I have had bleeding issues and she's anticipating them this time around also.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #9
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

I would bring it up now, and again later as a reminder. I am planning a "natural" c/s with this baby. My OB is actually the one who brought it up at my 11week appt. He was my doc for my TOL/CBAC, and since moving hospitals he likes to offer it to the moms who wanted natural births.

He didn't mention the delayed clamping, but said he would lower the curtain to let me see the delivery, and immediately put the baby on my chest for skin-to-skin while he finished the surgery.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
Done at 3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs

My c section was similar to this, I just brought him my birth plan at the pre op appointment and he agreed to most of it. Good luck!