Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
NewbieSAHM
Registered Users
seller
seller

Infertility - what's next?

We've been actively TTC 10 months. I don't temp, but I chart, use OPKs and monitor CM (we have an almost five year old who often goes to bed super late, wakes up throughout the night and/or wakes up extremely early so I don't always have a three hour sleep interval or a regular wake time).

I was on Clomid for three months, with no success. My OB said that if I wasn't pregnant after that, he'd want DH to get tested. What would that entail? If a problem of any kind is found, what might the potential solutions be? DH "doesn't feel like" going to the doctor and has avoided even talking about it. I've tried to be patient. His work has been busy since October, so I understood him wanting to wait until after Christmas. But now that the Christmas rush is over, we're back in a holding pattern. I'm trying to talk to him about how it makes me feel and reassure him that no matter what the doctor might say, it doesn't change anything about our relationship. That it's just as valuable to me that we learn if there's a challenge with him as it would be to determine that he's fine and we need to look further into my fertility.

Any information (and/or ) welcome!

Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Infertility - what's next?

They just want to check his sperm, primarily for motility & numbers. But other things can be checked for also - some sperm are 'allergic' to particular females vaginal fluids.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Usually your OB can order the test. They give you a cup and he does his business in it. DH did it ay home. Then you run it to the lab. That's it.

It's always good to rule out male infertility before you proceed with any other treatment.

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
meahr29
Registered Users
seller

We TTC for 27 months, after a year they first tested my husband. He had to give a sample to which they tested to check his count and motility. I don't know how much can be done to help, you could try looking up treatment for low motility and/or low count. In our case, the issue was with me. Men are a lot easier to diagnose a problem or rule out one, so if he can make it in to be tested, the quicker you both can move forward with the best way TTC. I'm from central Ohio as well! I went to Ohio Reproductive Medicine, and Dr. Friedman is great! My OB, Dr. Krantz, also handles infertility, but I didn't see him for that. I did eventually get pregnant on my own so I started seeing him after getting pregnant. HTH! Feel free to PM me if you need to!

Last edited by meahr29; 12-20-2012 at 08:14 PM.
meahr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #5
NewbieSAHM
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for your responses. I think he's moving closer to being willing to pursue some testing. I'm hoping that after Christmas I can call my OB and start moving forward.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

I'm surprised they didn't test him before putting you on clomid. My husband was given a cup (like the pee in cups). He gave a sample in it and then took it to the hospital. He was told to keep the cup under his arm or something to keep it body temperature (it was winter). There is fertilaid for men that he can take to help his count and mobility. I used to give it to my husband. He was on the low end but not terribly low. If his numbers are very low they'll probably try an IUI. That way they can get a concentrated amount of good sperm close to where it needs to be. Good luck!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
NewbieSAHM
Registered Users
seller
seller

That's what I've been hearing a lot! I think that the OB was willing to have me try Clomid because of discussions we'd had previously that led him to believe I was either not ovulating at all or ovulating infrequently. However he only wanted to do three months before pursuing things on DH end. After Christmas I'm going to call the office to find out what the next step is and hopefully by then (he seems pretty close) DH is on board with it. I understand his apprehension - I fear going to the doctor when I think something might actually be wrong. I don't think that is altogether uncommon. But I'm trying to reassure him that learning what's going on will only help us - there's no harm in learning more.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieSAHM View Post
That's what I've been hearing a lot! I think that the OB was willing to have me try Clomid because of discussions we'd had previously that led him to believe I was either not ovulating at all or ovulating infrequently. However he only wanted to do three months before pursuing things on DH end. After Christmas I'm going to call the office to find out what the next step is and hopefully by then (he seems pretty close) DH is on board with it. I understand his apprehension - I fear going to the doctor when I think something might actually be wrong. I don't think that is altogether uncommon. But I'm trying to reassure him that learning what's going on will only help us - there's no harm in learning more.
I don't think it's so much that they think something is wrong w/ him as it is that something is wrong in general & the testing w/ him is less invasive (& I suspect less costly).
Old 12-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #9
gingersnappy
Registered Users
seller

I went through 5 IVF cycles and I'd have to totally agree with carriek38. When they analyze his sample, they'll be able to check motility, mobility, and morphology (the shape/appearance of the sperm). Oh so much easier to rule out issues there vs the female (more complex). However, please don't already set yourself up for "it's my fault" or "his fault". Infertility is a very difficult road and can put a lot of pressure on the people involved. If I remember correctly checking for anti-sperm antibodies is not a mainstream test but it depends on your RE (reproductive endocrinologist). Have they run a bloodwork (hormone) panel on you? (maybe the next step)?
gingersnappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

It took over 6 years for us to get pregnant for the first time and we were married at 21 and 22 years old. After 18 months of NO pregnancies and no preventing we went through the testing and the Clomid. Nothing worked (we never did IVF) so we gave up and became foster parents. Then we got our twin girls and now I am pregnant with #3 who will be born when the girls are 23 months old. We finally got pregnant using ONLY natural remedies at home, here is what we did...

- Hubby: Maca root daily, increased veggies, lowered the temp. of his showers (no shower for at least 8 hours before DTD) and boxer shorts.
- Me: Prenatal vitamins and Welcome Womb daily. Then I would do things to "inspire" my hubby to DTD more often

My best guess is my body was "rejecting" the baby at implantation so the Welcome Womb calmed my body down and helped the baby to implant. I continued to take it every pregnancy, everyday for the first trimester.

Everyone is different and your problem will be specific to you alone BUT my natural remedies would never hurt! mama, I know the heartbreak of wanting a baby SO badly and it just will not happen easily. I always thought I would have enough time to be a mother of many many children but having my first ones at 27 set me back. Keep the faith, miracles can happen.