Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
TryingHard
Registered Users
seller

30 Day Shred workout during pregnancy

Would you or not? Why or why not?

All Dr says is that 'if you're up to it then go ahead.'

What do you think?
I would appreciate.to hear your opinions
TIA

Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: 30 Day Shred workout during pregnancy

No. Because of the hormone relaxin you are more at risk of injuries due to ligaments and such being loose. I don't think workouts that are very high intensity (30 day shred, p90x) are safe during pregnancy. I don't see anything wrong with zumba, jogging, walking, yoga etc. Their are plenty of more gentle options IMO.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
TryingHard
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for your response, that makes sense. Excuse my ignorance But what is zumba? Can it be done at Home?
Old 12-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
I'll share what my dr said when I asked about exercise. At the time, I was running 3 miles at a time and hiking too.

He said I was fine to keep the level of intensity to what I had been doing before I got pregnant. He did say he didn't want me to increase what I was doing or to do it so that I was losing weight. Pre-pregnancy I was of average weight.

I'm not familiar with shred, but i think it depends on your level of activity/fitness/athleticism before you got pregnant. If it feels good to you and doesn't involve something dangerous, it's probably fine.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:28 AM   #5
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

Prior to getting pregnant with this baby I had lost 50lbs due to a combination of monitoring my nutritional and caloric intake, doing the 30 Day Shred 1-2 times a day, jogging 30 minutes in the am and 30 minutes in the pm, bicycling, and swimming. I completed the 30 Day Shred twice doing it religiously every day. I did each level for 10 days each. My body adapted, of course, and the work out became much, MUCH easier for me than it was when I first started. Since I was experienced at each of the workouts and my body had already adapted, my midwife said it was perfectly fine to continue doing it not to lose weight but to maintain my fitness. She said not to push myself and if I feel like I need to take it down a notch to do so, and most importantly listen to my body. She reminded me that to maintain fitness I do not need to work out as intense as I did when I was trying to lose weight and build up to my fitness.

With all that said, I only did it for 2 weeks before totally giving up because I have had horrible fatigue and morning sickness with this baby and working out is pretty much impossible. :/
Old 12-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #6
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMommy View Post
He said I was fine to keep the level of intensity to what I had been doing before I got pregnant. He did say he didn't want me to increase what I was doing or to do it so that I was losing weight.
That's what I've always heard - you can keep doing whatever you were doing previous to being pregnant, but it's not the right time to start a new, intense workout routine.
Now, obviously, taking up walking or something gentle, when you haven't been doing so before pregnancy, is a different thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajewels View Post
She said not to push myself and if I feel like I need to take it down a notch to do so, and most importantly listen to my body.
Yup. Your body is going to tell you if things are too much. And it stands to reason that you likely wouldn't be able to maintain the same level of intensity through the whole pregnancy (I can't imagine doing much with this belly... and I've got months left to go), but if you're feeling good and things are going well there's no reason to stop what you're all ready doing.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #7
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you do it, I would skip the crunches.

Holland Grace is here! (14/4/2013)
delicatefade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Perhaps I am weird but I did p90x while not pregnant and injured myself on day 35... I think pregnancy puts enough of a strain on your body that a really intense exercise regime wouldn't be the best choice. Of course I am making the assumption that 30 day shred is crazy intense like p90x...

Zumba by the way is a dance fitness thing. A lot of people really love it. Their are classes but I have seen infomercials for dvds.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #9
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicatefade View Post
If you do it, I would skip the crunches.
<--- that's both me thinking about myself doing crunches with this belly... and likely how I'd look actually attempting them as well!!!
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I assume from the name that the 30-day shred is meant to be done for 30 days, not necessarily as a long-term exercise regime? I did exercise during both pregnancies, but I probably wouldn't do something very exhausting. Also, current research is really suggesting that exercising 20-30 minutes 3 days a week is really the healthies; not exercising or doing more than that is not as beneficial. I'd stick to just a few days a week.