Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
Arizonah13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thrush is making this hard!!!

I wasn't able to breastfeed DD1 beyond 12 weeks (and she wasn't even EBF during those first 12 weeks).

DD2 is now 4 weeks old and EBF (yay!), but has had thrush since darn near the beginning. Her pediatrician prescribed nystatin oral liquid for her and the cream version for me to use on my nips. We've been on it for 2 weeks and I don't see any improvement.

I'm careful to wash my bras, towels, etc.... between each use and use both hot water and vinegar in the rinse cycle. I also change my nursing pads after each nursing session (and I'm not a huge leaker, so they aren't all that wet when I change them anyway) I've also started using a vinegar rinse after she nurses. At night, I sleep topless to try to allow as much open air as possible.

What else can I do? I've heard of genetian violet, but I've also heard of it causing mouth sores and that makes me nervous!

I'm sending DH for some refrigerated probiotic pills to load up on (currently taking some non-refrig. ones now, but feel like the refrigerated ones will be more effective)

What else can I do? My boobs have hurt since the beginning and I'm ready for breastfeeding to be pain-free before I give up. I'm tired of dreading feeding my sweet little baby, being afraid to go out with her in case she *gasp* needs to eat while we're out (since I don't really feel like yelping, grimacing, etc in public), I'm tired of considering formula every single day.

Please help.

Advertisement

Carolyn - Lucky wife to my sweetheart and even luckier mama to my sweet, long-awaited baby girls! (May 2011, my 9.15 lb c/s baby and November 2012, my little 7.10 lb vbac peanut). I'll never forget my three angels.
Arizonah13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
strongwoman
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thrush is making this hard!!!

I don't have any advice but I do feel for you . That is no fun. Can you pump to keep your milk supply up and to have DH feed when you are out? That way you would not need to supplement with formula at all. HUGS mama!
strongwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-CP

The grapefruit seed extract worked wonders for us. I've been fighting yeast for years, literally. Read the whole link though. Hope you find something. I know it hurts. It ended one nursing relationship and almost ended all my others including this one.

ETA - Google the candida diet too. I don't follow that, but it had a lot of very useful information on there. And, you may find that you do need to cut way down on any sugar for a while to get rid of it.

ETA again - As for grimacing in public, I've been to the point of tears each time they latched several times with different kids (including this one). I always leave the room to nurse while I'm fighting yeast. If you can't get it cleared, I'd see an LC to double check latch is as best as it can be too. Any variation in latch can cause extra pain while dealing with yeast.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 12-21-2012 at 03:23 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
tedcgh
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't know if you use any pacifiers, nipple shields or pumping, but make sure they are all getting disinfected too. My DS and I had resistant yeast and both ended up having to do diflucan. I I had to do an intense 21 day therapy plus probiotics.
Hoping you find relief soon.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:19 AM   #5
desibob
Registered Users
seller

I'm dealing with the same thing. Did they prescribe something for you too? I was on Flucanosole and my ds was on Nistatin (sp?). It made him throw up every night, so we couldn't use it past 5 days. I now wipe my nips with a grapefruit seed extra (GSE) + water solution after feeding, which I also use every waking hour on ds's mouth using a swab before feeding. I also use coconut oil (has antimicrobial properties) on myself and ds's mouth. I'm also using children's probiotic (refrigerated with 3 billion BTUs three times a day (I put a third of a teaspoon with a few squirts of breastmilk and swab it in his mouth). This whole process if super time consuming, and sometimes I just want to give up. But then I remind myself that my sweet baby is probably in pain from that stupid yeast in his mouth (he sometimes latches off and on, screaming), so I have to keep it up.

Also, I wash everything that goes into the washing machine with 1/2 cup of vinegar and 10 drops of GSE in the rinse cycle. The yeast is getting better, but it's not gone. My breasts aren't in as much pain as before, and my ds's tongue isn't as heavily coated with yeast.

I was going to try the gentian violet, but I read a few articles that links it to cancer, which scared me! If you find something that works that's not on my list, please let me know! I wish you luck.
desibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
BlessedMommy4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I went through the same thing with my now 5 mth old. It was terrible...bleeding, cracking, you name it. He wouldn't eat because his mouth hurt and I didn't want to nurse because my nipples were bleeding.

My doctor finally had to take a more aggressive approach and prescribe 12 day of Diflucan for me. I also took probiotics and continued the Nystatin with my son.

Also clean everything! Yeast is a beast! I changed his paci at least 4 times a day and boiled them all each night. I cleaned my nipples with vinegar or hydrogen peroxide after each feeding. Expose them to sun if at all possible. And make sure they are getting air...no plastic backed pads.

I had to work really hard and be meticulous but in about 4 days I could tell a huge difference. Just don't stop as soon as the symptoms subside. Keep up the cleaning and probiotics for about a week after.

I hope you both get some relief soon!
BlessedMommy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
NeilsRene
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Have you tried Jack Newman's nipple cream?
NeilsRene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
Arizonah13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you ladies! My little one's ped prescribed nystatin for her and the cream version for me. We've been on it for 3 weeks and I see zero improvement. I'm also taking 5-6 probiotics/day.

I've just ordered some GSE liquid extract and I have my 6 week pp visit coming up with my ob so I plan on asking about the APNO. I'm hoping she'll prescribe that and some diflucan. I just want to start enjoying breastfeeding instead of dreading it.
Carolyn - Lucky wife to my sweetheart and even luckier mama to my sweet, long-awaited baby girls! (May 2011, my 9.15 lb c/s baby and November 2012, my little 7.10 lb vbac peanut). I'll never forget my three angels.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
Arizonah13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-CP

The grapefruit seed extract worked wonders for us. I've been fighting yeast for years, literally. Read the whole link though. Hope you find something. I know it hurts. It ended one nursing relationship and almost ended all my others including this one.

ETA - Google the candida diet too. I don't follow that, but it had a lot of very useful information on there. And, you may find that you do need to cut way down on any sugar for a while to get rid of it.

ETA again - As for grimacing in public, I've been to the point of tears each time they latched several times with different kids (including this one). I always leave the room to nurse while I'm fighting yeast. If you can't get it cleared, I'd see an LC to double check latch is as best as it can be too. Any variation in latch can cause extra pain while dealing with yeast.
Thank you for all the info. I have a terrible sweet tooth, but it sure looks like I'm going to have to cut waaaay back.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #10
jodiariel
Registered Users

Coconut oil every time you nurse. Probiotics for you and baby. They make probiotic drops for the baby - http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/bio...083377-product
jodiariel is offline   Reply With Quote