Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-22-2012, 02:07 AM   #11
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Re: No matter how much I purge

yep, I know what you mean. We are not minimalists, though I try to be LOL. It's just very hard with 5 kids! The rate we go through clothes is insane and most don't get passed down, even though I have all girls. My older girls, while close in age or not close in sizes at all, and have completely different body shapes and styles. So when they grow out of their clothes I send them to thredup,and the ones that arent thredup worthy I donate. I just donated SEVEN bags of clothes and toys today and already have another bag 3/4 full from today. Granted, I have been going through everything knowing Christmas is coming. So then we will have christmas and the girls will have all their new stuff and I'll be back at square one.

Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 04:29 AM   #12
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I tend to feel cluttered this time of year because I do get stuff coming in that I may not have a place for. Then we have some Christmas decorations out which makes things even more visually cluttered.

I'm going through and donating lots of things or passing things on. I have two boys close in age so I am keeping clothes to hand down which means I have to find a place to store some things.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:17 AM   #13
clothlover8
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yep I feel the same, the house bugs me constantly - I think somewhere inside me I have a real urge to be very minimal but it's just not totally possible with a family of our size so I do the best I can, keep purging so it doesn't drive me totally nuts.

I would say that it will never end for us but it's a whole lot better and what we have now is stuff we do use at least and it has definately changed the way I buy things now, I consider every purchase - How long will I use this for?, Do we really need it? Can we live without it? Would it be best to buy a better quality item? Can we use it for multiple purposes etc, etc So by asking these questions and buying less, better quality stuff I hope the need to purge will slow down eventually.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #14
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by clothlover8
Yep I feel the same, the house bugs me constantly - I think somewhere inside me I have a real urge to be very minimal but it's just not totally possible with a family of our size so I do the best I can, keep purging so it doesn't drive me totally nuts.

I would say that it will never end for us but it's a whole lot better and what we have now is stuff we do use at least and it has definately changed the way I buy things now, I consider every purchase - How long will I use this for?, Do we really need it? Can we live without it? Would it be best to buy a better quality item? Can we use it for multiple purposes etc, etc So by asking these questions and buying less, better quality stuff I hope the need to purge will slow down eventually.
I have definitely changed the way I shop too!
Old 12-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #15
deezee02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Me too!!!!

I alway used to shop for Christmas in July at the target toy clearance. I decided this year I will not be doing that anymore. I have enough toys for giving through the year, and I will buy the kids Christmas gifts closer to Christmas when stores do their last big push (like amazon who did 75% off a lot of toys this week).
Old 12-23-2012, 03:06 AM   #16
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I can sympathize. We've been at it a long time now and still have *so* much junk! Part of it is my mom though, she gives us at least one bag/box of stuff a week and I don't go by the goodwill often enough. Another problem is my 'fantasy self' that does all sorts of things my real self never does, lol. That's my biggest goal for this next year, getting real and clearing out my fantasy self
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #17
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgkcb13 View Post
I can sympathize. We've been at it a long time now and still have *so* much junk! Part of it is my mom though, she gives us at least one bag/box of stuff a week and I don't go by the goodwill often enough. Another problem is my 'fantasy self' that does all sorts of things my real self never does, lol. That's my biggest goal for this next year, getting real and clearing out my fantasy self
Thats me...i have 6 chairs in the garage that i garbage picked 5 yesrs ago intending to refinish......still havent started.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #18
SunflowerMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I struggle with this. I feel like it's a constant stream of boxes and bags leaving but nothing in the house changes. It still feels cluttered. We're a family of soon to be 8 and we just have so much stuff! It doesn't help that I'm a "what if X happens?" kind of person and have piles of "emergency" stuff for the what if's. Most of that stuff is stored in the basement though so I see no reason why the rest of my house can't be semi-minimalist.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:33 AM   #19
clothlover8
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgkcb13 View Post
Yep, I am getting better at dealing with my fantasy self One of my fantasies was that I would sew all the kids clothes for them so I had an old machine and bundles of fabric everywhere, the fabric is all gone now and I am listing the sewing machine on Freecyle after christmas, the reality is it's been sitting around for 5 yrs and I have never had the time and I am unlikely to have the time in the next 5 yrs!
Old 12-24-2012, 11:56 PM   #20
weareborgswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I feel you! There are still many things I am wanting to figure out what to do with... I am working to transition things out of the kids room into my laundry room to see if they REALLY want them or just think they do... I think could probably get rid of the Littlest Petshops pretty soon- I felt bad doing it sooner as my youngest got a big set from Grandma for Christmas and she had REALLY wanted them... but then in May she got some Calico Critters and a house for them... so Petshops moved to "storage" they popped out last week- but still aren't as interactive with them as the Calico Critters and Grandma bought them some new pieces for Christmas- so the Petshops will be moving on.

Slowly but surely.... working with my own things and being a good model for the kids on how I am cleaning out MY things is helping them...

Now my sis-in-law sending 3 years worth of gifts and my mother in law being here when they arrived so i couldn't make anything disappear before they saw it, UGH! They got a family's worth of gifts just from the 2 boxes that arrived. More purging will be coming soon.... Overwhelmed just thinking of the piles of things sitting under the tree in front of me right now.
weareborgswife is offline   Reply With Quote