Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-25-2012, 01:38 AM   #21
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Re: No matter how much I purge

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareborgswife View Post
I feel you! There are still many things I am wanting to figure out what to do with... I am working to transition things out of the kids room into my laundry room to see if they REALLY want them or just think they do... I think could probably get rid of the Littlest Petshops pretty soon- I felt bad doing it sooner as my youngest got a big set from Grandma for Christmas and she had REALLY wanted them... but then in May she got some Calico Critters and a house for them... so Petshops moved to "storage" they popped out last week- but still aren't as interactive with them as the Calico Critters and Grandma bought them some new pieces for Christmas- so the Petshops will be moving on.

Slowly but surely.... working with my own things and being a good model for the kids on how I am cleaning out MY things is helping them...

Now my sis-in-law sending 3 years worth of gifts and my mother in law being here when they arrived so i couldn't make anything disappear before they saw it, UGH! They got a family's worth of gifts just from the 2 boxes that arrived. More purging will be coming soon.... Overwhelmed just thinking of the piles of things sitting under the tree in front of me right now.
to your last sentence..me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #22
texanromaniac
Registered Users

I started embracing a more minimalist life almost five years ago, and I still do not feel I am quite there.

We still have four bookshelves slotted to leave the house as soon as we deal with what is on them. One shelf is empty, one has four plastic cubes of papers to go through first, one has books and dvd's we are getting rid of, and one has a variety of stuff on it (1-2 shelves slotted to be stored, another shelf of dvd's we'd like to watch once more before we get rid of them, and one shelf of magazines to go through before tossing/giving them away. I also have two closets that need dealing with...one has like 5 CPU units that DH has been planning on stripping of anything useful for months now and one is our catch-all closet (but it needs dealing with ASAP, cause the room it is in is being converted from a guest room to a "big boy" room for our son). Besides that we have our garage which has only had one partial clean out in the last year and a half and our attic, which we haven't cleared out since we moved in almost four years ago (so who knows what could be cleared out of there now?). But being pregnant it will be a while till I can tackle the garage and attic.

Even with the clean and organized parts of the house it is still an ongoing thing. I probably go through our linen closet, bathroom drawers and cabinets, kitchen drawers and cabinets, and the pantry at least twice a year and always find more to toss/give away. Kiddo's toys and clothes get a twice yearly sort through as well...and my clothes are an ongoing project. Even DH ends up at least every other year getting pestered enough to finally go through his side of the closet and get rid of stuff he hasn't worn in years.

I really don't think it ever truly ends...cause there is always gonna be an influx of stuff coming in, despite my best efforts at keeping that to a minimum. People are always gonna insist on giving us stuff at Christmas and birthdays, and usually (unless we can return it) it stays for at least a little while (hopefully replacing something else that goes). Kids outgrow clothes, mamas get pregnant and it is easier to hang onto maternity clothes than to get new/different stuff every pregnancy, husbands bring home more geeky/computer stuff despite their claims of loving the minimalist life. You just can't help it. It will ALWAYS be a process. But it does get easier the longer you are at it cause by nature of being minimalist, eventually you get to a point where the stuff isn't nearly as overwhelming.
texanromaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #23
SunflowerMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Does anyone else get rid of stuff only to have well meaning friends and family show up with truckloads of stuff to replace it all? A while back we got rid of our dining room table because it never got used, except to collect junk, and we needed the space to set up a play area for the kids. Shortly after a family member passed away and we got his old dining room table dropped off. Apparently we needed it because we didn't have one. LOL Since that table was bigger and nicer than our old kitchen table we put that in the kitchen eating area and now the old kitchen table is in the garage awaiting its fate. We haven't purchased furniture in ages but our house is crammed full!
Old 12-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #24
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunflowerMommy View Post
Does anyone else get rid of stuff only to have well meaning friends and family show up with truckloads of stuff to replace it all? A while back we got rid of our dining room table because it never got used, except to collect junk, and we needed the space to set up a play area for the kids. Shortly after a family member passed away and we got his old dining room table dropped off. Apparently we needed it because we didn't have one. LOL Since that table was bigger and nicer than our old kitchen table we put that in the kitchen eating area and now the old kitchen table is in the garage awaiting its fate. We haven't purchased furniture in ages but our house is crammed full!
Yes, and for us, our family knows we love vintage items, so I can't get rid of any of it because it's not replaceable. There are a few pieces of furniture we don't really need but I am not willing to part even though I know they'd have been gone years ago if they were from IKEA. I'm so grateful for my family being amazing gift givers, but at the same time, it makes it harder because I cant just send excess things to goodwill since there was so much thought put into it and we really do love what they give us. Apart from that, we also get offers for TVs all the time, even though we haven't had one in about two years now by choice.

Last edited by harmoni247; 12-26-2012 at 01:56 PM.
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #25
SunflowerMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

haha We have more tv's than we know what to do with here. They are sitting uplugged and unwatched. I feel like we should just do it and haul them away but they are the old school tube tv's and weigh a ton. One is our old wide screen very large tube tv. It takes two strong men to move that sucker so it sits in the basement collecting dust. One day I may turn that extra room down there into a rec room for the kids....
Old 12-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #26
Jedimomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Probably not the thread for me to be reading right now. Lol We *just* started on the road to minimalism. at least now I know frustration is a normal part of the process!

I love TRADES!
Jedimomma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #27
3girlsallnaughty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Oooh I am soooo there too! I just keep purging and with 5 kids in 5 different places...the amout of stuff is just sooo overwhelming!

It's a Boy!! Due April 30th!!
3girlsallnaughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #28
rhodesestrada
Registered Users
seller

After birthdays and holidays do you go through things that do not get used and donate these items to make room for new? Do family and friends gift differently knowing you want to avoid clutter?
rhodesestrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #29
indigo152
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunflowerMommy View Post
haha We have more tv's than we know what to do with here. They are sitting uplugged and unwatched. I feel like we should just do it and haul them away but they are the old school tube tv's and weigh a ton. One is our old wide screen very large tube tv. It takes two strong men to move that sucker so it sits in the basement collecting dust. One day I may turn that extra room down there into a rec room for the kids....
Do you have a local Freecycle or Facebook sales group? I see tvs offered and taken all the time on Freecycle. Craigslist also has a section for free items.
If you take it to a local dump they may charge a fee, so might as well offer it free to someone who is willing to take it away.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #30
SunflowerMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo152 View Post
Do you have a local Freecycle or Facebook sales group? I see tvs offered and taken all the time on Freecycle. Craigslist also has a section for free items.
If you take it to a local dump they may charge a fee, so might as well offer it free to someone who is willing to take it away.
around here you can't seem to give the old tube tv's away. Every spring is our big spring cleanup where you can put out piles of stuff on the curb, free for the taking. The tv's all remain untouched. We do have a free electronic recycling drop off and I may send the smaller of the two unused ones there. I just feel bad throwing something out that works perfectly fine. I had given it away to my aunt and then she bought a new flat screen tv and sent it back to me. It's like the cat that kept coming back. LOL