Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #21
Registered Users
Re: clothing sizes and cloth diapers

Nope, he has always been in age appropriate sizes. I agree with other mamas, it really just depends on YOUR baby -- how they grow, are they long legged or long torso, chunky, skinny, etc as well as how bulky the dipes are that you are using.

Faith - WOHM to DD born 10/2006 DS born 8/2011 :
OHIOFIFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #22
Registered Users
My Mood:
We kind of do. It depends on the diaper and hire big or small the clothes are on him. If he is about to outgrow them then he'd fit fine in then with a sposie but would be a little big if the cloth dossier fits just right in the cloths. For the most part he's a size up but he's is also really long so he was in 6m by 2m.

Lie I said it really depends on the type of cloth diaper as well. I sound Prefolds and covers much trimmer then most pockets
Married since 08
Became parents 6.13.12
And again 3.24.14
pottermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #23
Registered Users
I agree that it depends on the baby. I had to size up anyway because my daughter is a chunk. Her pants were always too long in the baby days. But I have friends with leaner kiddos who would have no butt at all if it weren't for cloth and the extra bulk is what kept their pants up!
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #24
Registered Users

It really depends on your baby. Newer clothing is made with disposable diapers in mind. If you're having a girl, you have it a bit easier in that you can have her wear skirts with baby legs. My son wears baby legs, but they are not the most masculine item of clothing, IMO.

My son is so tall that I have to size up his pants for heights anyway, so it's a non-issue about the diapers. It's more of an issue that the matching shirts to the pants that fit him are a bit big, but I usually roll up the sleeve and have him wear it anyway.

If you or your partner are tall, then baby might be tall too.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #25
Registered Users
The only thing we ever had a real problem with was jeans for my son. He was tall and chubby and I couldn't find jeans that fit him right with a CD on until he was almost 2.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #26
Registered Users
I only have to size up when my daughter is in between sizes. She can wear the smaller size with sposies (which she has to wear to daycare) and the larger size at home with cloth. My daughter is an average size 6 month old and still wears some of her 3-6 month cloths and some of her smaller 6-12 or 6-9 month clothes.
Proud mommy to PJ, born 6/23/2012 and CR, born 8/11/2014 , wife to CE, since 9/20/08
rooster2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #27
Registered Users
My Mood:

I don't size up, but I don't do onsies (my kids are skinny w/ long torsos so they don't work) or jeans for babies. I do t shirts, sleepers, & stretchy pants.
Kathlin wife to Errol mama to my big girl Kezia (4/08) , my ft woolie wearing little guy Cowan (11/10) , & rainbow babe Agnes (10/13) we're a co-op dwelling family I blog [/URL]
Junipervt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #28
Registered Users
My Mood:

Yes, but it's not that stressful...for the first year I always had the next size up on hand, just go up in size when the clothes get tight. Sizing is approximate no matter what diaper--if baby is long or chubby you will end up sizing up sooner than the ages anyways. Plus, different brands run different.
If pants are too long I just roll them up a little. They grow so fast you won't have to do it for long.
Happy my soldier is home!
mom to B
and A
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #29
My Mood:

Originally Posted by MomdeIsla View Post
my kids are long in torso and have short legs and no butt without their dipes.
so one piece things they outgrow sooner like rompers (in torso length).....but pants and a onsie (with extender) fit as expected......and as a result I love dresses and leggings (if its cold enough) they fit the longest...i think girls are easier because of that (other than footed pjs).

when dd4 PL'd she wore the same size bottoms for almost 3 yrs!
This is my experience, right down to my kid's build. Long torso, short limbs and completely buttless. Onesies and sleepers she outgrows first, and the cloth exacerbates that, but I found pants I didn't have to size up on and definitely not shirts. Dresses are awesome with cloth, my girls lived in dresses in the summer time, even DD1 who's out of diapers.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #30
Registered Users

I never had an issue with needing to "size up". Rather, it was more of an issue of choosing a style/cut of clothing that was CD-friendly.

For example, my baby doesn't wear jeans. Period. No way is her fluff getting stuffed in there, and if I bought jeans big enough to fit, they would be much too long, too big in the waist, etc. I just don't buy very trim-fitting clothing with stiff fabric. That stuff doesn't seem very comfy for babies anyway.

I have had great luck with Carter's brand clothing through 24 months. Everything is cotton knit and generously cut. My dd always wore the size appropriate to her age, and could fit in their layette pants way beyond, even to the point that the pants only reached to just below her knees, but they still fit over her behind. Osh Kosh is typically OK too. The only thing I have found with most brands, is that beginning at size 2T, everything is cut more trim with a very low rise. It appears they assume babies wearing 2T must be potty trained, and they no longer leave any room for diapers???

Zutano is pricier, but their clothing is very, very generously cut and can be worn for a really long time. Baby Gap and Old Navy are sometimes good as well.
Asmaa, married to dh for 22 years!
Homeschooling mom to ds17, dd14 and
our 3 1/2 year old potty princess!
AHASRADA is offline   Reply With Quote