Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
snoggle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Considering the deduction induction?

Let me just start by saying that I feel like a HUGE hypocrite to even consider an induction before 42 weeks without a major medical reason. I always swore I'd never do it. Please don't beat me up for this! Please, I can't handle it.

So, I'm due on 12/26/12 by LMP (probably 12/23/12 by when I think I got pregnant). This is my first pregnancy. I've done Bradley Method classes and would really like a very natural delivery. I have a fabulous nurse-midwife who will work with my wishes and I trust her judgment completely. Baby is head down, estimated at around 7 pounds, and looks perfect. Pregnancy has been completely uneventful.

The problem is that my husband lost his job a little over a month ago (not his fault at all). In addition to the loss of his income for what will end up being about 2 months (he has a new job he'll start soon), we're having to pay for health insurance through my part-time job which will cost us $1200 - $1800 per month once the baby is here, for 4-5 months, before we can get it through DH's new job. Plus, most of my maternity leave is unpaid. Multiple huge financial hits!

So, my midwife is willing to start the induction process on 12/29/12, several days after my due date, if I haven't delivered yet, so that I can have the baby before New Year's Day and definitely get the tax deduction. I'm so afraid that an induction will lead to more interventions, etc. I fear I'll never forgive myself, since I've always been opposed to inductions of convenience.

We probably won't get the child tax credit, I think our income for 2012 was too high. We will qualify for the dependent deduction of $3800 for 2012 if he is born before the end of the year. That means our taxable income will decrease $3800, so we'll only save what we would be taxed on that amount. Is it worth the extra $1000 or less we'd save in taxes? (Really, I have no clue what our tax rate is, I'm just guessing.) Are there other tax benefits I've forgotten? Do I understand the tax details correctly?

I'm leaning heavily toward not inducing, even if he doesn't get here this week. What would you do in my shoes? My hubby pointed out that any complications, interventions, or a C-section, will just increase our hospital bill. Since we'll have to pay 20%, a C-section or pricier interventions, would pretty much eliminate the benefit of the extra tax deduction, right?

Hoping he'll show up on his own this week and I won't have to even consider this decision.

Please point out pros and cons for me - including any costs or savings I haven't thought about. Please give me your opinion, but please be nice. Please, please be nice.

Advertisement

I'm a Family Nurse Practitioner but I work in Women's Health. Married to my DH since 2005. We love our menagerie of animals at Nutwood Farm.
snoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

There are tons of ways to try and naturally induce labor. I'm on my phone and being lazy, but you can google ways to try.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Considering the deduction induction?

I agree with the pp that you might consider some at home methods to get things moving first. Also, how favorable is your cervix? That is a major consideration for you to take in to account if you decide to go ahead with a more medical induction. What sort of "induction" is the midwife suggesting?
Old 12-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
bulkybummom
Registered Users
seller

Get her to sweep your membranes and try castor oil... it will only work if you have a favorable cervix... I'd stay away from the meds that induce because that will most likely kiss your chances of a natural delivery goodbye... things seem to snowball when medical interventions happen... just my opinion though... I'm in Canada... so I can't help you in the financial department... I think unless you're taxed extremely high, you're over estimating on the $1000... could you phone taxation department and find out?
Old 12-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
snoggle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't know about condition of my cervix right now. My midwife doesn't do weekly vaginal exams - I was 1 cm dilated and 70% effaced 3 weeks ago. I have my next appointment with her in 1 week, she'll do a vaginal exam then and I'll have to make a decision at that point.
The more DH and I talk, the more I'm pretty convinced that I won't do any medical inductions. And we won't be having sex to induce (the only natural way I'd thought about) since it's just downright uncomfortable and no fun for me at this point! I'll look into the other natural ways to induce.
Most likely, I'm just going to let it go, try not to be a control-freak (for once) and let this baby boy decide when he wants to be born. I have another 10 days for him to show up on his own and get the deduction anyway. I'm worrying way too early.

I'm a Family Nurse Practitioner but I work in Women's Health. Married to my DH since 2005. We love our menagerie of animals at Nutwood Farm.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Are your taxes complicated or pretty straight forward?

You could try Turbotax or something similar and do it once with a baby and once without (just use your last paycheck). It doesn't cost until you actually file. That would give you a better ballpark of what your tax situation would really look like.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggle

We probably won't get the child tax credit, I think our income for 2012 was too high. We will qualify for the dependent deduction of $3800 for 2012 if he is born before the end of the year. That means our taxable income will decrease $3800, so we'll only save what we would be taxed on that amount. Is it worth the extra $1000 or less we'd save in taxes? (Really, I have no clue what our tax rate is, I'm just guessing.) Are there other tax benefits I've forgotten? Do I understand the tax details correctly?

I'm leaning heavily toward not inducing, even if he doesn't get here this week. What would you do in my shoes? My hubby pointed out that any complications, interventions, or a C-section, will just increase our hospital bill. Since we'll have to pay 20%, a C-section or pricier interventions, would pretty much eliminate the benefit of the extra tax deduction, right?

Hoping he'll show up on his own this week and I won't have to even consider this decision.

Please point out pros and cons for me - including any costs or savings I haven't thought about. Please give me your opinion, but please be nice. Please, please be nice.
Depending on your tax bracket, yes... You're looking at around $1,000 or less. I'm not a tax expert, so can't advise you on that, but I know we pay more than $1,000 on every $3,000 we take home.

I would not induce. Your hubby has a very good point. What good is that $1,000 going to do for you if the induction goes awry and you need a $20,000+ C/S? (20% of which is $4,000, 4x your tax savings.)

I would be open, however, to "natural" induction methods that will only help labor along if your body and baby are both already prepared. If they don't work, they don't work. If they do, great! But it's not something like AROM where there's no going back and you're facing a C/S if you don't progress.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #8
snoggle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyH View Post
Depending on your tax bracket, yes... You're looking at around $1,000 or less. I'm not a tax expert, so can't advise you on that, but I know we pay more than $1,000 on every $3,000 we take home.

I would not induce. Your hubby has a very good point. What good is that $1,000 going to do for you if the induction goes awry and you need a $20,000+ C/S? (20% of which is $4,000, 4x your tax savings.)

I would be open, however, to "natural" induction methods that will only help labor along if your body and baby are both already prepared. If they don't work, they don't work. If they do, great! But it's not something like AROM where there's no going back and you're facing a C/S if you don't progress.
Yeah, after typing out the whole discussion and talking more, we won't be inducing. The smallish benefit just isn't worth the risk of things going wrong. Plus, even if it goes well, I'll probably feel like a hypocrite forever! Maybe he'll show up before the end of the year on his own, and maybe he'll show up as the first local baby on New Year's morning (then we get prizes, right?).

I'm the third child. My mom had already had two C-sections and was told she had to have another. I was due in early January and my parents wanted the deduction so I was born by scheduled C-section on 12/30. My parents made the same decision 2 years later with my little brother (also due like 1/5 or so), who ended up being born on my birthday. This is where I get these ideas, LOL.

But, when DH and I talked about it further, I realized that our decision is very different than the one my parents had to make. Mom was having a C-section anyway, a few days earlier didn't change her outcome. For me with my first delivery, that I really want to be natural, an induction for tax purposes could completely change the outcome. It just isn't worth it to me! So I will wait, somewhat patiently.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggle
But, when DH and I talked about it further, I realized that our decision is very different than the one my parents had to make. Mom was having a C-section anyway, a few days earlier didn't change her outcome. For me with my first delivery, that I really want to be natural, an induction for tax purposes could completely change the outcome. It just isn't worth it to me! So I will wait, somewhat patiently.
That's great! and patience is totally not required when waiting for a baby
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #10
snoggle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
All this debating and it didn't matter afterall! Samuel Jacob was born yesterday morning at 10:29AM after a very quick labor. Total labor time was less than 5 hours! The nurses and docs can't believe he's my first. I made it to the hospital fully dilated, ready to push and had him a little over 1/2 hour later! We got our tax deduction and a very natural childbirth. I knew it was best to leave things alone and let nature do its thing - but this proves it!