View Poll Results: What are your feelings about labor & delivery?
Only in a hospital 24 27.91%
Only at home (circumstances permitting) 33 38.37%
Open to both 29 33.72%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-23-2012, 11:44 PM   #51
made4this
Active Contributor
Formerly: boyfarm3
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hospital vs. Home Birth...PLEASE HELP!!

I recently went through this same decision. I have had 3 hospital births and decided on another one. For research, I read one of Ina May Gaskin's books, watched The Business of Being Born, interviewed a local homebirth midwife, and spent some time of hurtbyhomebirth. The thing that really persuaded me against homebirth was actually the conversation I had with the midwife. Certain things, like when I asked her what she carries in case of postpartum hemorrhage, (pitocin? cytotec? methergen?) , she straight up told me that she could not give me ANY drugs unless I went to her "friendly OB" for an Rx and filed it beforehand. Huh? I like things natural, too, but in an emergency those things can save you from needing a transfusion. She also said that most OBs, when they are told you are considering a homebirth, will say they cannot see you anymore. So I felt that IF I chose a homebirth and had a complication requiring a transfer, I would show up at a random hospital and have nobody. Things like that can cause a costly delay in your care. In a perfect system, midwives and docs would speak the same language and feel comfortable referring to one another, rather than hesitating to refer because of liability issues. I just don't think we are there yet. It actually IS depicted that way in the documentary, but that type of arrangement is not available in my area. Best of luck with your decision and your birth!

Advertisement

made4this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #52
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607 View Post
Are midwives not informed professionals? My midwife was also a ND. How do they rank? I can respect your fear of birthing out of the hospital but to discredit midwifes is just

I'd never consider a hospital birth unless it was life or death. Babies and mothers die in the hospital.
I've just been reading this thread & don't consider myself terribly knowledgeable on this topic, just trying to learn more...but what's an ND? Obviously it's a credential, but what does it mean? TIA!
Old 12-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #53
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I will only birth in a hospital. For me the risk of what if something goes wrong it too great a fear for me. We live to far from a hospital for me ever to be comfortable giving birth at home.

I have had 3 great hospital births. Including two inductions.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #54
mamaspice
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38

I've just been reading this thread & don't consider myself terribly knowledgeable on this topic, just trying to learn more...but what's an ND? Obviously it's a credential, but what does it mean? TIA!
Naturopathic Doctor.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #55
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyfarm3 View Post
I recently went through this same decision. I have had 3 hospital births and decided on another one. For research, I read one of Ina May Gaskin's books, watched The Business of Being Born, interviewed a local homebirth midwife, and spent some time of hurtbyhomebirth. The thing that really persuaded me against homebirth was actually the conversation I had with the midwife. Certain things, like when I asked her what she carries in case of postpartum hemorrhage, (pitocin? cytotec? methergen?) , she straight up told me that she could not give me ANY drugs unless I went to her "friendly OB" for an Rx and filed it beforehand. Huh? I like things natural, too, but in an emergency those things can save you from needing a transfusion. She also said that most OBs, when they are told you are considering a homebirth, will say they cannot see you anymore. So I felt that IF I chose a homebirth and had a complication requiring a transfer, I would show up at a random hospital and have nobody. Things like that can cause a costly delay in your care. In a perfect system, midwives and docs would speak the same language and feel comfortable referring to one another, rather than hesitating to refer because of liability issues. I just don't think we are there yet. It actually IS depicted that way in the documentary, but that type of arrangement is not available in my area. Best of luck with your decision and your birth!
It sounds like you live somewhere where midwives aren't permitted to carry any emergency stuff. In that case I would have to re evaluate risks. I applaud you for taking the time to investigate, and for asking the scary "what if" questions that most of us never want to think about....

Each state is different in this regard, and it is really important to know this type of info. Thankfully in my state, midwives can carry pitocin, resuscitation equipment for both mom and baby, lidocaine, and IV fluids and equipment to administer it. As well as other things I am forgetting.

Personally I had such a crappy hospital experience, I doubt that transferring care last minute could possibly make it worse.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #56
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaspice View Post
Naturopathic Doctor.
Thanks! I did a quick search, and it looks like they can practice the same as MDs in some states, but that mine (NY) is not one of them, which is maybe why I haven't been exposed to them as practitioners.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #57
mamaspice
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki

It sounds like you live somewhere where midwives aren't permitted to carry any emergency stuff. In that case I would have to re evaluate risks. I applaud you for taking the time to investigate, and for asking the scary "what if" questions that most of us never want to think about....

Each state is different in this regard, and it is really important to know this type of info. Thankfully in my state, midwives can carry pitocin, resuscitation equipment for both mom and baby, lidocaine, and IV fluids and equipment to administer it. As well as other things I am forgetting.

Personally I had such a crappy hospital experience, I doubt that transferring care last minute could possibly make it worse.
Yes, this! I was low risk and had no signs of any complications except an extremely long labor (on and off, rom early). I was very thankful that my midwife had all of the above ready to go.

I addition, I was thankful that being at home allowed me to birth naturally because I was treated as an individual case not based on risk management protocol- In the hospital I would have had an induction, and I'm guessing a c section. At home baby and I were able to be monitored closely but allow the baby to come out on her own.

Last edited by mamaspice; 12-24-2012 at 12:59 PM.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #58
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would be open to homebirth if the circumstances were good for one (ie. no complications with my health or baby's, and no major issues requiring intervention with previous births). I do love the idea/sound of one. However, for me personally, a homebirth is not an option.

For starters, the hospital is 45 minutes away from our home and the MWs only allow homebirths within 15 minutes of the hospital - I likely could find somewhere (a friend's home, a hotel) to birth at... but then I still wouldn't be at home, which kinda defeats the whole point of a "home" birth for me.
Secondly, due to experiences with all 4 local MWs with my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies, I do not trust them at all. So, even if I lived close enough and wanted a homebirth, I wouldn't feel comfortable in their care.
Thirdly, I have ITP which causes my platelets to drop quite a bit during pregnancy - with DS1 my levels were only down to 70s at birth, DS2 I was down to low 60s at birth, and DS3 I was low 50s at birth. This has required platelet transfusions during labor/delivery and for many hours following - obviously not possible in a homebirth setting.

For us, the hospital is definitely our best, safest, most comfortable choice. Honestly, I have had many wonderful birth experiences in our hospital here. I make sure to write out a birth plan and give it to the nurse when we get there (and yes, it has been followed, they actually recommend birth plans here), and I make sure that DH knows exactly what is on the plan, exactly what my wants are. He is a very good advocate, not afraid to ask questions or for clarification, not afraid of confrontation if he needs to stand up for something for me.
I do think having someone like that with you is very important in achieving the birth experience you want - but I feel that is important no matter where your labor and birth takes place.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #59
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

SO was against homebirth initially and The Business of eEing Born chaged his mind. My advice is to put home birth books on the back of the toilet and remove all other reading material. Works like a charm.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #60
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyfarm3 View Post
All states are different and some states it's illegal for a MW to carry any sort of medication like that, in many states though, it's not and they do.

If you were to transfer you would call ahead of time and a Doctor would treat you, they'd get the room ready for you as you're on your way. Unless you went to a private hosptial, a Doctor by law has to treat you if you come into a non-private hospital.

I think the documentary depicted what it's like in most states, not favorable to MWs or homebirthing.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote