Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-24-2012, 01:06 AM   #11
clothlover8
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: How do you keep a minimalist diaper stash?

I struggled with this for a longtime then I found Bumgenius Elementals/freetimes and that did it for me - I am slowly converting the whole stash over to them and that's all I will have but it's a slow process because I can't afford to just go and buy them all in one go.
Slowly selling off all the pf's, fitteds, covers, woollies etc

I agree with pp, box them up put them out of sight and see what happens if a few months go bye and you don't miss them, then it's probably safe to get rid of them, if you find you want them they are easy to get back!

Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #12
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree the ideal is to pare down to what works for THAT baby at THAT time. You never know if the idea for that child is going to work on the next one. If you are having a hard time with it, box it up and wait a month or so and see if you can let it go then. There will always be more diapers out there to buy.

Personally, I think you never need more than three kinds of diapers: what works best for YOU and current baby, what works best for overnights/going out (if it isn't already covered in the first category), and what works best for daddy diapers/caregivers (if it isn't already covered in the first two categories). What worked well for me throughout most of #3 was prefolds and wool or fleece pants, with pockets stuffed with prefolds for overnights and daddy/caregiver diapers. But he was a really hard to fit baby so PFs and custom pockets were the only solutions, so it was hard to be tempted by other things.

The problem I had was letting go of the small PFs when he outgrew them (but I can use them to stuff! As doublers! LOL) and keeping what worked for #2 which never worked for #3. I had trainers and XL old-style FBs (for overnights) that I had kept that even today at age 4 are still too big for #3. So now I have several boxes of old CDs that I don't want to keep, don't have anyplace to donate to, and don't want to go to the trouble of selling. If I had just kept what I needed, and sold/traded/donated what I wasn't currently using at the time while I was still excited about fluffy mail, I wouldn't be in this position now.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #13
jessica377
Registered Users
seller

What about keeping however many pockets you need for visits to parents at their house. Decreases stash and will make packing for visits easier.
jessica377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #14
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have 3 in diapers so my stash is not "minimal" but it is fairly stream lined.

pockets for the older 2 and fitteds and wool for the newb. I'll sell his nb stash as he out grows them, and move him into the OS pockets.

We're expecting #5! "Quinn" coming July 2014!

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #15
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I limit myself to what fits on my changing table. That limits me a lot

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #16
MamatoGreta
Registered Users
seller

It only took me three years of diapering and my 3rd baby to finally minimize. lol. I have two in diapers full time right now, 2 year old DS and 1 year old DS. They each have 2 dozen prefolds and both use flip covers. I have almost 30 of them, but some are ready for the trash. I also have 6 flip stay dry inserts for nighttime. That's it. I love it. I had about $900 worth of misc. used pockets, aios, ai2s, hybrids, fitteds, ect., ect., ect. Everything felt so chaotic, it was freeing to simplify!

I've made over $250 on Swagbucks! sign up and you can too!
MamatoGreta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #17
mamaNMH
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The inability to get our diapers clean because of our water made me minimalist in that department! Nothing but flats here with both PUL covers and wool covers. I have some hemp doublers and used newborn prefolds as doublers as well. I like that the flats can be folded to fit any baby. Our PUL covers are one size so they grow with the baby. Got to love that We're in between diapering right now, waiting on #2.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #18
Katiesuds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I recently had stash overload too. I had so many kinds of diapers (PFs, pockets, AIO, Hybrid, etc.) and just wanted to keep what I actually used. I ended up keeping track of everything I used in a week (3washes) and getting rid of everything else. It made me see how many of what I was actually using, I didn't really need 24 PFs if I was also using a few pockets here and there.
Katiesuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #19
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I went with sposies but still have a full stash of daisy doodle ai2s (birth to pt) in a drawer, lol! 12 small covers (fits birth through 6to 7 months) and 6 large covers (6 months through 3yrs). I just change the inserts out and reuse the covers if not soiled.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #20
MSmith88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had a major problem with this but then I felt like diapers were in every room of the house! Since then I have found what works for us and we stick with that only.

1 Swaddlebees Simplex
10 Grovia AIO
5 Grovia AI2 with 2 soakers a piece
3 Best Bottoms with 4 inserts each
5 fitteds
1 wool cover

More than I need but with a baby on the way I might be diapering two if DD isn't PL'd.
MSmith88 is offline   Reply With Quote