Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
emerino
Registered Users

Quick question about taking an antibiotic

So we are TTC. I'm on an antibiotic for the next 10 days that says it can harm an unborn baby. I'm only on day 6 of my cycle. Should we protect this month or will a potential baby be okay? Anybody know? Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
MommaLEB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Quick question about taking an antibiotic

I don't know for sure, but I would think you should be okay. The baby gets everything from the yolk sack in the beginning.

MommaLEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaLEB
I don't know for sure, but I would think you should be okay. The baby gets everything from the yolk sack in the beginning.
Yup, this!
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
emerino
Registered Users

That's what I was thinking...thanks for the confirmation!
Old 12-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No way would I risk it. why not wait until after you have stopped the antibiotic? Those first few weeks are critical for proper development, and there is a good reason that those warnings are on the box.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
No way would I risk it. why not wait until after you have stopped the antibiotic? Those first few weeks are critical for proper development, and there is a good reason that those warnings are on the box.
yep.. this is how I feel.
I put off potential shots while we were TTC because they were too risky.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerino
So we are TTC. I'm on an antibiotic for the next 10 days that says it can harm an unborn baby. I'm only on day 6 of my cycle. Should we protect this month or will a potential baby be okay? Anybody know? Thanks!
There is no placenta yet. It cannot pass to a baby. If there were no alternative I would take it depending on the infection you are treating and how life threatening it us. What pregnancy category is it?
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Antibiotics don't affect the baby because they directly attack it. the problem is that bacteria are very important to every process in your body, and especially absorption of nutrients and hormonal balance. These are especially vital to the development of a fetus, particularly when the brain and spinal cord are being formed. You do not want to be messing with killing off bacteria, good and bad, when a baby is newly developing. You also want to be as healthy as possible when TTC, and apparently you aren't if you are taking antibiotics.I would take probiotics immediately (better yet, fermented foods like sauerkraut, kombucha, kefir, and high quality yogurt), and wait at least until next cycle, but preferably several cycles before TTC.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
emerino
Registered Users

Oh, wow, thanks for the feedback.

I'm taking doxycycline hyclate. It's category D. I had a Pre-cancerous mole removed and the wound started to become infected. Otherwise, I'm healthy.

I had a m/c in oct. so ideally I would take every precaution. It sucks because of course I wanted to be pregnant again as soon as possible and now this.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #10
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerino View Post
Oh, wow, thanks for the feedback.

I'm taking doxycycline hyclate. It's category D. I had a Pre-cancerous mole removed and the wound started to become infected. Otherwise, I'm healthy.

I had a m/c in oct. so ideally I would take every precaution. It sucks because of course I wanted to be pregnant again as soon as possible and now this.
I understand the feeling. One thing that might help is staying off of diaperswappers, hah I a. personally I would wait. I think that antibiotics are so commonly taken that many don't realize how dangerous they can potentially be. Of course the chances are high that your baby would be fine, but it is not a risk that I would take. It's really best to start off as healthy as possible, as hard as it can be to wait. I feel the same way about child spacing, and admit freely that my kids are closer together than I planned, and I feel responsible for some small issues that my son has.