Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
kimberleybpatt
Registered Users
seller

Empty package arrived - no contents

Hello. Can you help? Are we required to purchase insurance when selling items from this site? DC is required, I know.

I sent 2 diapers packaged the way I always package them (plastic bag first, then wrapped up with brown postal paper and very well taped), but the buyer sent pictures of a really torn up empty package delivered by USPS.

My local postman who delivers all of my packages stated that I packaged it well. I've sent over a hundred packages just this way with no problems before this. Obviously, the USPS manhandled the package, and the contents are missing. This is not the buyer's fault, but I also don't feel it's my fault. Clearly insurance would have fixed the problem, but the package was not insured. It did have DC.

I've offered to refund her half the transaction cost so that we share in the loss. No dice, she says.

I don't include insurance in my PPD price, but I've added it on to several transactions in the past when the buyers have requested it. I don't feel its fair that I would have to eat this entire cost myself when both of us chose not to insure the package. It seems fair to me that we both be out 1/2 the cost. Where am I wrong here?

Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Empty package arrived - no contents

Per paypal rules and therefore diaperswapper rules insurance is the sellers responsibility.

This is why it drives me nuts when people put in their listings they are not responsible for the package after it is shipped. On this sight and when using paypal yes you are responsible until delivery of the package. I nolonger say anything to sellers though as I was roundly chewed out by a seller for saying anything. Unless you can eat the cost of the item always get insurance.

I don't insure for items under $15 dollars as I can eat the cost but over that I get to feeling I would like insurance just in case.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller

It stinks, but yeah- you have to refund the buyer the full amount. I had this issue on Ebay and refunded the buyer $45 for a lost gift card (the box it was in was ripped open). She sent me pictures of the box and the post office stamp saying that the box was damaged and I immediately refunded her.

I had to eat the $45 and it sucked but that's life. I see the USPS as a necessary evil.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

If the package was damaged by usps they stamp it to show it happened on their watch. Did the buyer show that stamp in her photo?

And insurance is the sellers responsibility:
Old 12-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #5
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

I also believe that the way you packed it isn't correct. My understanding is it has to be a poly mailer not the paper envelopes. And they reccomend putting it in a Ziploc bag before putting it in the polymailer. So Icould see how it would be damaged packaged the way you did. If I was the buyer I would be very upset if you suggested we split the cost because you didn't follow the rules.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

With brown postal paper, it seems like the package may be ripped during handling and/or get caught in the conveyor belt. USPS will likely not be responsible for damaged packages due to wrapping.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
If the package was damaged by usps they stamp it to show it happened on their watch. Did the buyer show that stamp in her photo?

And insurance is the sellers responsibility:
This. It should come in a bag with a note attached stating it was damaged and is now empty. And yes, you are responsible. I highly suggest investing in some poly mailers.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:55 PM   #8
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhutier View Post
I also believe that the way you packed it isn't correct. My understanding is it has to be a poly mailer not the paper envelopes. And they reccomend putting it in a Ziploc bag before putting it in the polymailer. So Icould see how it would be damaged packaged the way you did. If I was the buyer I would be very upset if you suggested we split the cost because you didn't follow the rules.
Not required but highly recommended. Paypal will side with the buyer as the seller is responsible to cover the content until delivery even for postal errors. The insurance is the responsibility of the seller not the buyer, and of course one can opt not to use it, but it means having to refund in cases like this. Sorry mama I know it stinks for both parties.

Also note while they should usps does not always leavenotes on damaged packages.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:50 AM   #9
kimberleybpatt
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhutier View Post
I think there's more than one way to skin a cat - or mail a package! I've never seen where its part of the "rules" to use a poly mailer! As stated, the diapers were in a plastic bag before being wrapped with POSTAL paper - not a "paper envelope". The paper had virtually no "paper" showing anyway; it was nearly all taped over with 2" packing tape. My postman and local post office verified that my method of packaging should be fine, and that this degree of package destruction is usually due to sorting machine malfunctions. So, its really not about my not following "the rules".
Old 12-25-2012, 12:55 AM   #10
kimberleybpatt
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenajean1 View Post
Not required but highly recommended. Paypal will side with the buyer as the seller is responsible to cover the content until delivery even for postal errors. The insurance is the responsibility of the seller not the buyer, and of course one can opt not to use it, but it means having to refund in cases like this. Sorry mama I know it stinks for both parties.

Also note while they should usps does not always leavenotes on damaged packages.
Thank you for your helpful, empathetic advice! The diapers were beautiful like-new Elbees.
Closed Thread