Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Proposal: Can admin please keep a "Members with Postal Issues" file?

I hope I'm not starting a nasty debate here, but I feel we need an improved system for handling cases of packages "damaged" by the PO.

When a buyer claims not to have received all or part of their purchase, or received damaged items, it usually defaults to seller responsibility and a refund of some sort. However, from years of experience on various forums, I've seen more than a few cases where the buyer made fraudulent claims. I'm in NO WAY implying that every buyer claiming damage/loss is being dishonest. I myself have received a package with contents missing (because it was a bulky lot sent in a manila envelope with no tape reinforcement whatsoever), as well as items damaged due to lack of proper packaging. So I'm not being cynical about our members - the USPS does indeed lose or damage items on a regular basis. And often the seller is responsible. However, if it happens frequently with the same buyer, one has to ask if it's just coincidence.

Postal notes tell you nothing. Sometimes the USPS attaches a note on a damaged package, sometimes they don't; and unfortunately, sometimes there are buyers who keep an old postal note for the purpose of opening future claims, so just because they show you a pic of a note doesn't necessarily mean an open-and-shut case.

Here's my proposal. The mods can keep a list of transactions where package mishaps have purportedly occurred. They can announce to all FSOT members that there is such a list kept, so that if such cases arise, the parties in question can "register" their transaction (the names of the buyer/seller and the items that were lost or damaged.) This is separate from the actual resolution/feedback of the transaction itself (which may have to go through paypal for resolution anyway). Even if the two sides resolve it amicably among themselves, they should still register the problem on file. The mods can reference this file to see if there's a pattern going on with a member.

This may also flag bad sellers - those who leave out promised items in their package, or who are chronic poor packagers. So this is a protection for buyers, not just sellers.

If it were up to me, frankly, I'd have this list published in a public area. But that would obviously raise a hullabaloo. So maybe the mods can just keep it for their reference.

There would need to be periodic reminders to members to please contact mods with USPS damaged package issues, and members who are having this issue can be pointed to the reporting procedure.

One more word of advice: typically the buyer will let the seller know the same day they receive the package of the postal "mishap". The seller should immediately contact the buyer's local post office, ask to speak with the manager, and request that they directly talk to the carrier to see if he/she remembers delivering a damaged/empty parcel to that address. Carriers have an amazing memory for this sort of thing, and chances are if you can talk to them within a day of the delivery, they will be able to tell you whether they did or not. I've suggested this before to another seller who had this issue, and she was able to prove that the buyer did NOT received a damaged package as she claimed.

What say?

Advertisement

Last edited by expaik; 12-26-2012 at 07:55 PM.
expaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:
Re: Proposal: Can admin please keep a "damaged package complaints" file?

Seems like feedback can be used for that purpose, to communicate to others. Perhaps if we would use the system we already have, but improve upon it.

For example, if you received a damaged package and asked the seller to refund, then the seller could leave fb stating that you received a damaged package and refunded their $ or something to that effect.

I don't know, maybe that would work?

Last edited by Resellmybelle; 12-25-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Resellmybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think that is a GREAT idea.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resellmybelle View Post
Seems like feedback can be used for that purpose, to communicate to others. Perhaps if we would use the system we already have, but improve upon it.

For example, if you received a damaged package and asked the seller to refund, then the seller could leave fb stating that you received a damaged package and refunded their $ or something to that effect.

I don't know, maybe that would work?
It would be great if all members were so detailed in their feedback but they aren't. (assuming they even leave FB at all). It seems that the seller is often not motivated to leave any FB for a buyer to whom they had to issue a refund. Because it certainly wasn't a positive experience, yet they probably don't feel comfortable leaving neutral or negative.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I vote yes.

I think it is a great idea.

The problem I see with it just being in feedback is having to cull through all the feedback to see if it is happening. Some people do a lot of buying and selling with feedback in the hundreds.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Precisely. I wish there were just an icon next to a user name that a member can just "click" in order to report a questionable transaction. Something maybe more general than just shipping mishaps. Maybe it can also cover issues of he-said/she-said, such as claims of broken parts, stains, etc. where the seller and buyer can't come to an agreement on the actual facts. The sort of issue that mods can't really determine fault. The sort of murky area whose indeterminability a sneaky member will try to advantage of to his/her own benefit. And a list like this could help our forum figure out who's doing that on a regular basis.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I like your idea, but I wouldn't think DS admins could go 'over' paypals ruling if a buyer filed a dispute and paypal usually sides with the buyer if a packages comes damaged/missing items ect..
earthflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthflower View Post
I like your idea, but I wouldn't think DS admins could go 'over' paypals ruling if a buyer filed a dispute and paypal usually sides with the buyer if a packages comes damaged/missing items ect..
That is not the point of the list. The list is to keep a record of "repeat offenders" (for lack of a better term - sorry if it comes off as offensive).

If someone repeatedly is reported on this list, it will justify suspicions that they are defrauding others, and this information might even be used in future paypal disputes. And of course if it becomes obvious that there is a pattern of defrauding, mods can remove them from the board.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

I don't know. I don't think that damage items claims happen that often. I think the biggest scam on this site is the partial refund. This is the only site I have ever belonged to that promotes the idea of a partial refund if you are not satisfied with the condition of your used item.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimb96 View Post
I don't know. I don't think that damage items claims happen that often. I think the biggest scam on this site is the partial refund. This is the only site I have ever belonged to that promotes the idea of a partial refund if you are not satisfied with the condition of your used item.
earthflower is offline   Reply With Quote