Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #11
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

As per ds rules if the item is sent in a paper envelope the mods will not moderate the situation.

Advertisement

jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:20 AM   #12
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Proposal: Can admin please keep a "damaged package complaints" file?

Rest assured ladies, something like this is already in place. Mods can see notes on any user profile, so that any serial behavior can be easily detected, be it potential scamming or anything like this. Since mods come and go, it's policy to place a note on the person's username whenever someone has to be contacted in their capacity as a mod. It's good for detecting issues like the one you suggest, and good so that all mods can see what communications have taken place so if there's any dispute on what was said, there is a record so all mods are on the same page.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:01 AM   #13
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
Rest assured ladies, something like this is already in place. Mods can see notes on any user profile, so that any serial behavior can be easily detected, be it potential scamming or anything like this. Since mods come and go, it's policy to place a note on the person's username whenever someone has to be contacted in their capacity as a mod. It's good for detecting issues like the one you suggest, and good so that all mods can see what communications have taken place so if there's any dispute on what was said, there is a record so all mods are on the same page.
But if I had an issue (I have not here on DS), I would just file with paypal. I would probably not involve a Mod as they would not be the ones making the decision about the refund/etc. I think making it so people feel comfortable reporting issues would be helpful (especially since people seem inclined to leave no feedback if unhappy rather than leave a negative/neutral. )

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:09 AM   #14
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
Becca is correct We keep notes on everyone regarding any issues that come up, pm's we send/receive, and communications we mediate.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #15
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
Becca is correct We keep notes on everyone regarding any issues that come up, pm's we send/receive, and communications we mediate.
That is good to hear. I guess I already knew that, but maybe what I'm really hoping for is that all members be more diligent in reporting suspicious stuff to the mods.

Many times a seller will post in Transaction and Feedback about a case like this, and the followup posts simply tell them the paypal rules (i.e. seller must pay if items are received missing or damaged, etc.) Instead, we should all encourage that person to notify admin about the issue.

There are many ladies who are amazingly mellow and "make it right" whenever there's a transaction problem, no questions asked. And there are others who probably feel something's amiss, but are pressured into swallowing the loss, not knowing they have other recourse. Any time a seller or buyer is burned by a transaction, they should have the mods notate the event, for the possible benefit and protection of everyone.

Contacting mods is not only for requesting mediation, but for providing any information on a potentially hazardous dealer on the board.
expaik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #16
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Isn't situations like this the reason people are encouraged to pay the extra buck or two for insurance on their package?

Missing items would clearly be the seller's fault for forgetting to put the items in or for failure to package properly... but damaged items...seller's cant control how the PO handles packages.

I myself received a gift in the mail for my daughter, and it was damaged in transit. It could cost me up to $20 to fix it if I have to go have the piece of broken glass cut at a frame shop. Hopefully I can buy a cheap photo frame and take the glass out of that, I don't know, I haven't tried yet... but anyway.... I wish the gifter had put insurance on such a breakable item. Then she could file the claim and send me the money to repair the item.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #17
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_M
Isn't situations like this the reason people are encouraged to pay the extra buck or two for insurance on their package?

Missing items would clearly be the seller's fault for forgetting to put the items in or for failure to package properly... but damaged items...seller's cant control how the PO handles packages.

I myself received a gift in the mail for my daughter, and it was damaged in transit. It could cost me up to $20 to fix it if I have to go have the piece of broken glass cut at a frame shop. Hopefully I can buy a cheap photo frame and take the glass out of that, I don't know, I haven't tried yet... but anyway.... I wish the gifter had put insurance on such a breakable item. Then she could file the claim and send me the money to repair the item.

God bless!
Off topic, but if you have a michaels or other craft store near you they sell replacement glass in different sizes by the picture frames.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #18
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_M View Post

God bless!
The crux of the issue that I'm concerning myself with here is not actual cases of postal damage. It's fraudulent claims. Yes, I suppose a seller could protect herself money-wise by insuring every single package she sends out, but if you are shipping dozens of packages a week, or hundreds a month (as many actually do!) this extra cost can add up. Not many will be willing to do that on the off chance of damage, which is quite rare.

Obviously you should insure fragile or valuable items, but I would not encourage people to start insuring every $10 trade item or sale item they ship. Doesn't make sense. In the end you'll lose more money that way than the odd damage or scam.
expaik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #19
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumminbeachbabe View Post
Off topic, but if you have a michaels or other craft store near you they sell replacement glass in different sizes by the picture frames.
Thanks. I called Micheal's. They told me to give me a glass pane that is 4x6 would be $20. He DID tell me that was for the nicer glass (I guess it's clearer or something).

I'll take in one of the undamaged panes and see if their less expensive glass would be a good match and how much that would cost. If it costs me less to buy a full frame than just a "specially cut" glass pane, I'll do that.

It was TOTALLY not packaged properly for tranist. IT was wrapped in bubble wrap, then packing paper, then some sort of post office paper. It TOTALLY should have been in a box.

It has 5 photos, each photo a letter of my daughter's name. Each photo was then mounted on a bar and the bar hangs by a lovely pink ribbon. Each photo has a pane of glass on it. One of the photo mounts was completely ripped off the bar. All of the glass pieces were off of the pictures, and one glass pane was broken.

The package WAS marked as "Fragile" but yeah.. totally not packaged properly. It's a very lovely gift too.

Oh wait... are you saying that I DON'T have to have them cut a piece, that there is actually pre-cut replacement panes for sale? Got it!!

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!

Last edited by Michelle_M; 12-26-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #20
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimb96 View Post
I don't know. I don't think that damage items claims happen that often. I think the biggest scam on this site is the partial refund. This is the only site I have ever belonged to that promotes the idea of a partial refund if you are not satisfied with the condition of your used item.
I couldn't agree more.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote