Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-28-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
eco-mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Co-sleepong with a toddler AND new baby?

So, I am due in March with our second LO. We currently have a one bedroom apt until our lease is up. DD finally got her own bed last month and sleeps in it on and off (she still wants to sleep in our bed most nights). Anyways, when the baby arrives he will be sleeping in a bassinet in the room with us as well. Has anyone experienced this before? I know he will most likely be waking up crying every 3-4 hours to feed/ get a diaper change and DD is a light sleeper so I know she will be waking up then too. The thought of having two cranky little ones waking every 3-4 hours is terrifying me. I don't really know how to go about the whole situation. Any advice or tips?

Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 12:23 AM   #2
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Co-sleepong with a toddler AND new baby?

In your shoes, I'd work on keeping DD in her bed all night, even if it is still in your room. She will learn to sleep through the baby, and you probably will be hypersensitive to the baby's cries and respond quickly anyway. You'll find a way to make it work out. And if its not, you and baby may migrate to the living room couch/bassinet out there.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:23 AM   #3
starbeam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i would also recommend keeping DD in her bed starting now...check out supernanny vids and books. her sleep techniques are gentle and very effective, although they may not seem gentle in some vids b/c they are with very dysfunctional kids and parents and edited to shock.

then, i would give up on the idea of baby in bassinet for a while. if the baby cosleeps, you'll be able to recognize and responds to his/her cries or waking-up moments much more quickly. if you breastfeed, you can just roll over in bed to nurse. cosleeping with your baby will create a lot less ruckus which would disturb your daughter, and you'll probably get more sleep too. when your baby starts sleeping through the night or only waking up once or twice at regular times, you could try a crib or sidecar cosleeper, or bassinet if your babe is still little enough.
starbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:51 AM   #4
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:

When DS2 was born, I was afraid of the same things since DS1 also was a light sleeper.

However, the older ones adjust very quickly. It took him about a week of co-sleeping (with the boys on either side of me) to adjust. The trick lies in the fact that newborns dont make very loud sounds (unless they are colicky/hurting/uncomfortable) and that is the period to initiate the older one in...the first few mild cry days. So that going fwd, they ease into that rhythm/sound of a newborn's cries and not be bothered by it.

FWIW, I sang lullabies as I nursed DS2 to sleep, and that would help DS1 go to sleep much quicker. (I couldnt go beyond 2mins of singing. BFing is a sleeping pill!!) This arrangement lasted 2mos and then DH and ds1 began sleeping in a separate room. I wanted to ensure that he didnt feel like I was ignoring him just because I've got a new baby to cuddle.