Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Question for Pregnant Mamas

(Feel free to move this to a more appropriate forum, I'm was just guessing on where to start it!)

I just graduated from DONA doula training and am making decisions about what services to offer and continued education. I'm curious to know (for those who would look for a doula), what services are most important to you? The standard in my area is 1-2 prenatal visits to get to know eachother and plan for the birth, labor support and 1-2 postpartum follow ups.

I'm also considering adding a postpartum certification to provide support for mamas as part of a package. I'm also considering getting trained as a breastfeeding counselor. And I'm also interested in childbirth education.

Any input you ladies have would be much appreciated. Are there any if these specialties that would be more of a priority? Or others I don't have listed?

Advertisement

BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
newcdmommy29
Registered Users
seller

Breast feeding is VERY important to me. I have a feeling if I had a better start with my dd maybe we would have had success. I pumped and fed her for a little over a year but I really want a nursing relationship with this baby.
newcdmommy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Question for Pregnant Mamas

I second breastfeeding and I would add placenta encapsulation certification!
Old 12-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
Mommyto2B2G
Registered Users
Formerly: **kau*
seller

My Mood:

You wouldn't happen to be in TX are you? I need a doula. I second placental encapsulation certification. I am also hoping to find someone that does that but no luck so far!
Mommyto2B2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
newcdmommy29
Registered Users
seller

Are you in the Kansas city area??? I new a doula too!!
newcdmommy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm in Portland, Oregon. :-)

If you need to look for a doula in your area, you can always use the DONA website. They have a listing of certified birth and postpartum doulas, and a list of approved trainers. Contacting a trainer to ask if she has students who need certifying births is a great way to find a doula for a discounted price.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would want more prenatal visits 2-3. It's really hard to get to know someone that fast. I totally agree on breastfeeding support.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454524
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I do normally 5 prenatal visits. 1-2 just isn't enough. Breast feeding education is really important for doulas IMO. Childbirth education is also a good add on.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree regarding the prenatal visits. My big interest in getting a CBE credential is so I can offer in home childbirth prep during the prenatal period. 6-8 weeks or shorter if clients hire me closer to their birth and need to fit the info in faster. But I agree, it's difficult to establish a connection in just one or two visits. I'm not sure if I should present my package as 1-3 prenatal visits and have childbirth education/prep as an add-on, or just factor it into the package and price accordingly.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Lc & ost pardum yes.... wish I had with oldest. Just to know u were ready & knowledgeable.... I think I would be scared if my ob or doubla was like I don't know what to do... like I had hyperthyroid show first...secondd was ok & hypo now......