Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-16-2006, 07:26 AM   #21
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: At the pool breastfeeding... immodest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee1972
Wow, you are far more of a kind woman than I! I would have been livid. My reaction would most likely have been to intentionally bare a bit more. Not totally, but at least as much as a skimpy bikini! I agree with a pp about pretending not to speak English, too. LOL! Heck, I nurse in church! Not in the sanctuary, mind, but frequently in the lobby. Nobody has said a word.

Dee,
Mom of 7 on Cape Cod
I nurse in church.... I even use the sanctuary, in the pew next to my husband, after one day when the Pastor's wife asked me whose baby I was holding, I figured that it shouldn't bother anybody if they couldn't even tell I was doing it LOL.

p.s. my husband always tells me just to speak in spanish and pretend not to speak english since thats what we speak at home (he's from paraguay) but I was with another girlfriend already speaking in English
I do gotta remember that though.... he started telling me that when our baby was "small" and people were always telling me at the store to put "that poor baby on formula" and such

Advertisement

Old 06-16-2006, 07:27 AM   #22
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissum
Wow, some people have nerve! I have little cards from LLL that have the law written on them so I can pass them out as need be. Where are you in Kansas? I'm in KC

I'm south of Lawrence about an hour
Old 06-16-2006, 08:55 AM   #23
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:

yeah I wonder where I could get some of those... I'm sure CA has a law about thiss..
Old 06-16-2006, 09:12 AM   #24
newuanda
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieandtheboys
I bf my 1 year old at the base pool all the time. Now what is indecent is some of those women who shouldnt be in those bikinis! YIKES
Yeah, I would much rather see a mom breastfeeding than some faky boobs or somebody who should not be in a bikini for other reasons.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:30 AM   #25
Taowensf
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee1972
I nurse in church! Not in the sanctuary, mind, but frequently in the lobby. Nobody has said a word.

Dee,
Mom of 7 on Cape Cod
Why not in the sanctuary? Mary nursed Jesus, and there is a TON of various art depicting her with one breast exposed. It's only been in the past few decades when bfing was NOT the norm.

Go for it!
Taowensf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:34 AM   #26
zonapellucida
Registered Users
seller

Location: Diligently working on getting out of the hellish state of FL
My Mood:

I would look up the BF laws for your state and cite them if this should happen again. In FL a woman is allowed to BF any place she is authorized to be wether or not the nipple is hsowing--READ: she doesn't have to cover up and I even had it out wiht the pasotros wife over this issue when she tired to get me to BF in the bathroom.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:37 AM   #27
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Why do these things never happen to me?!? I'd have given that manager an earful (and probably an eyeful!) for sure!

Just FYI, here's a link to the laws in different states...very interesting! http://www.lalecheleague.org/LawMain.html

And like someone else said, I think I'd call the local newspaper and the local LLL to let them know about this incident. See how the pool manager likes having a nurse-in at the pool!

By the way, I think the funniest NIP story I've ever heard was about the SC mom who was asked not to nurse in a Victoria's Secret store! There were other issues there too but can you imagine? The local LLL wound up staging a nurse-in there and Vic's has now made all kind of public statements about how they support breastfeeding and definitely allow it in their stores. That shows you the state of our society though!
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:20 AM   #28
Quisalas
Registered Users

Quote:
And when we were at Disneyworld, I was BFing on a park bench. I had soo many women do doubletakes, trying to figure out if I was BFing. I was not even sure Florida had a law passed or not!
I'm in Florida, so I wanted to mention. "Florida led the nation by enacting the first comprehensive breastfeeding legislation in the United States. The legislation not only exempted breastfeeding from criminal statutes, but created a new law that stated this important and basic act of nurture must be encouraged in the interests of maternal and child health. Finally, it provides for a breast-feeding encouragement policy for facilities providing maternity services and newborn infant care."

There are actually laws in place here prohibiting the discouraging of breastfeeding! You're not allowed to make a breastfeeding mother feel uncomfortable for breastfeeding here. :thumbsup Regardless of whether or not your nipple shows.
Quisalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:47 PM   #29
dee1972
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taowensf
Why not in the sanctuary?
LOL...only because he's 14.5 months old and tends to wiggle and such. Plus, he now like to hum while nursing! I guess I should have clarified that it was because of HIM not any embarrassment or sense of propriety on my part.

Edited to add: I always attend the second service (hard to get 6 kids out of the house early!) and with summer here on Cape Cod and the tourist population, its quite crowded. Therefore, there really isn't very much room to nurse a baby who prefers to lay his big old self out on my lap instead of sitting up.

Last edited by dee1972; 06-16-2006 at 03:50 PM.
dee1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:55 PM   #30
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

LOL, whenever I have been told to stop NIP, I always inform the person of my states law (Texas is the right to BF whereever the mother is allowed to be) and offer to alert the media to the discrimination and bring along every BFing mother I know for a nurse-in at a later date if they so wish to pursue it. Usually I get an apology and when it happened in a TGIFriday's, my meal was compted by the manager. (BTW, I had DD in a sling nursing, the waitress only knew I was nursing because she looked into the sling to see my baby, without asking first...some people!)