Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-27-2012, 11:08 PM   #31
littlesaurusrae
Registered Users

Studio ghibli movies: I love ponyo, kikis delivery service, naussica of the valley of the wind, my neighbor totoro, and laputa: castle in the sky. Some of them have adult scenarios but they aren't obvious as a child. Studio ghibli is similar to Disney but is, in my opinion, more imaginative and treats females as main characters and doesn't make them dependent on males. (which I LOVE)

Advertisement

littlesaurusrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #32
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: Movie Recommendations for daughters first

Anyone say the sound of music yet?
Old 12-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #33
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesaurusrae View Post
Studio ghibli movies: I love ponyo, kikis delivery service, naussica of the valley of the wind, my neighbor totoro, and laputa: castle in the sky. Some of them have adult scenarios but they aren't obvious as a child. Studio ghibli is similar to Disney but is, in my opinion, more imaginative and treats females as main characters and doesn't make them dependent on males. (which I LOVE)
Yes yes yes. Totally agree. Nausicaa might be a bit scary, but ponyo and kiki's delivery service are charming.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:33 PM   #34
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoo View Post
Pollyanna is a good suggestion! What about Mary Poppins??
for Mary Poppins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus_Freak_955 View Post
Mary Poppins gives me nightmares to this day. I'd go for something that's not animated where the main character actually shows the characteristics you want your children to have. However, one of my favorite kids movies is Up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 View Post
Can I ask which part? I am truly curious, not being snarky.
yeah I wanna know too

Mary Poppins, sound of music, my fair lady all getting played in our non TV house lately. Even ventured out to other musicals, like phantom of the opera, cats. Love them, they go singing round the house though, be forewarned!
Old 12-28-2012, 04:29 AM   #35
kangasox
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by megenic View Post
Both my girls (5 an almost 3) just love Milo and Otis. It's pretty cute. We tend to avoid most character stuff but it's hard finding movies that are age appropriate but not character themed. I don't do Disney but the Tinkerbell movies are pretty benign, not at all like all the princess ones.

Happy feet was pretty popular here for awhile. Any of the Winnie the pooh movies are okay. They loved Rio, although there are some scenes that are a bit dark.
Yes! Milo and Otis. Such a sweet movie, gentle and funny. One of my favorites of all time! Oh, and my daughter is extremely sensitive snd doesn't like movies because of the 'conflict' element (which nearly every movie has) and really loved Milo & Otis.

Last edited by kangasox; 12-28-2012 at 04:32 AM.
kangasox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:27 AM   #36
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
We love Studio Ghibli movies here. However, I can't say I would recommend them as a first movie for a non TV family. They can be a bit dark/scary at times. They are amazing. My kids loved Ponyo and Howl's Moving Castle, but my favourite is Totoro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshPants View Post
Anyone say the sound of music yet?
Another great one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
The rest really do suck. MIL bought this one, and it is actually pretty good. The singing is good, and in tune, which was surprising. The story is decent, and the princess/pauper (twins) are the heros. The princess marries a commoner for love, and the pauper ends up marrying the prince, whom she loves. It is cute and has a good message...love is more important than money.
I am not even sure DD has seen that one. The one that she adored was the mermaid story, and for weeks we could not get that song out of our heads.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #37
NYCVeg
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Another vote for the Studio Ghibli movies. We love all of them, including the most recent, The Secret World of Arrietty.

The original Disney Winnie the Pooh movie and the one that came out a year or so ago are both EXTREMELY gentle.

I don't mind the drunk goose in the Aristocats, but I did mind the incredibly offensive Asian stereotypes.

I do know a lot of kids who find Mary Poppins scary--I think it's the bank run scene? I don't remember the movie that well.
NYCVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #38
FormallyMichele
Registered Users
Formerly c****f
seller

My Mood:
You ladies are great. Thanks so much. Heading to the lib to check them out and make a decision.
FormallyMichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #39
littlesaurusrae
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshPants

for Mary Poppins

yeah I wanna know too

Mary Poppins, sound of music, my fair lady all getting played in our non TV house lately. Even ventured out to other musicals, like phantom of the opera, cats. Love them, they go singing round the house though, be forewarned!
Cats gave me nightmares. I was so freaked out by the humans dressed as cats that I didn't even wanna be near real cats for a while :c
littlesaurusrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #40
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Cats gave me nightmares. I was so freaked out by the humans dressed as cats that I didn't even wanna be near real cats for a while :c
how old where you? that is very funny though sorry to laugh at your nightmares though