Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #31
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What shoes do you buy for your toddler/preschooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
if that were the case then kids shouldnt be barefoot at all lol
Yeah, I was thinking that as well. My son is barefoot (or in socks) at home on our hardwood floors most of the day. I'd think that would do more damage than wearing Crocs, which at least have some arch support.

Advertisement

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #32
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGiggles View Post
Just a side PSA for those buying crocs for wide feet: I've now heard from a few foot drs that they can cause the foot to widen even further as they don't give the correct support to the sides of the foot. Can be problematic for younger kids wearing them often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post

if that were the case then kids shouldnt be barefoot at all lol
Yea, that.

I think the "support" part of shoes is a bit of a crock. Shoes are primarily to protect feet from things that you could step on. Proper foot growth and development really comes from barefoot walking, not wearing shoes.

We are barefoot 99% of the time and only wear shoes out of the house.

That said, we rely on soft-soled shoes up until about age 2-3y/o. Then I look for something with a flexible sole if I can find it.

I get lots of shoes secondhand. My parents raised me the same way yours did, OP - "Never buy used shoes!"

Now as an adult I understand the purpose of shoes better, and I know more about why being barefoot is best, and so shoes are only used when necessary, therefore, being secondhand doesn't matter b/c my kids only wear them a few hours at a time, at the most.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #33
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For Amelia I have been buying robeez tredz, she is 18 months and has fat little feet, these work well for her.
whitneywalters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #34
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I like Keen and Simple. I've been disappointed in See Kai Run and Pedoodles.
marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #35
mamaspice
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki

Yea, that.

I think the "support" part of shoes is a bit of a crock. Shoes are primarily to protect feet from things that you could step on. Proper foot growth and development really comes from barefoot walking, not wearing shoes.

We are barefoot 99% of the time and only wear shoes out of the house.

That said, we rely on soft-soled shoes up until about age 2-3y/o. Then I look for something with a flexible sole if I can find it.

I get lots of shoes secondhand. My parents raised me the same way yours did, OP - "Never buy used shoes!"

Now as an adult I understand the purpose of shoes better, and I know more about why being barefoot is best, and so shoes are only used when necessary, therefore, being secondhand doesn't matter b/c my kids only wear them a few hours at a time, at the most.
Like!
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #36
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We love pedipeds and pedoodles. They have really flexible soles and great quality.

I've also gotten See Kai Run smaller, and they are really cute but didn't hold up as long.
Marbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #37
addicteddad
Registered Users

We just got DS a pair of Tsukihoshis. Expensive, but good wide fit without the "W" designation. Had a tough time finding a pair of 8.5W for DS, who just turned 2, to give his toddler approval to. Also picked up a pair of Sauconys just to try and get him to wear more than one pair during a stage and hopefully reduce the pickiness.
addicteddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:01 AM   #38
GirlFriday13th
Registered Users
seller
seller

I like pedoodles and jack and lily a lot. And they're frequently on the daily bargain sites for reasonable prices. We also wear a lot of target converse, they have a nice flat, flexible sole and are readily available.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:59 AM   #39
90924teeth
Registered Users
seller

Keens hands down for durability. I bought some second hand which are now on the 3rd child and going strong.
Fwiw I went to a chiropractor for some back pain who attributed it to walking around and picking the kids up in my crocs which I use as house shoes. He said it wasn't the thickness of the sole but the way it flexed when you walk. Most shoes follow a curve like pattern, crocs just jackknife.
90924teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:11 AM   #40
fallfromfender
Registered Users
seller

We are a Crocs family. I don't think I can ever wear anything else now. I am always wearing crocs flats, DS loves the clogs or sneakers. The clogs are great, he can put them on and take them off himself, and are super easy to clean. They last so long without getting gross. No more stinky boy feet!! If they do get dirty, I just throw them in the sink with hot soapy water and wash, they come out looking new! We usually go with clogs for spring/summer, and crocs sneakers for fall/winter. The lined clogs work okay for winter, but they get stinky. Oh, and my DS has fat, wide feet.
I had a pair of crocs flats that I wore nearly every day for two years. I just replaced them because the tread was gone on the bottoms, but otherwise they were still fine.
Even my DH loves Crocs! He even wears the Barista ones to work.
I have never had any issues with them, there is no need to "break them in". They are just so comfortable. Can't say enough good things about them!