Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
graceworks
Registered Users
Formerly: annaelise
seller
seller

My Mood:
help! I need some beco butterfly tips

So I just got a used beco butterfly. I really really really want to love it. I love it once baby is in it and everything in situated, it is SO comfy and really easy to move her onto my back. But then getting in and getting situated process is weird...can someone give me tips?

-Buckling the back clip is impossible once baby is in the carrier, am I supposed to do this ahead of time?

-It is hard to stick the baby's legs under those straps to seat her in the carrier...am I doing something wrong? should those be all the way loosened to start?

-Once she's in, I feel like i have to scrunch her up and pull hard to get the front buckles buckled, but if I loosen them, they are near impossible to tighten once baby is in the carrier (unless someone knows a trick for this) so I have to have it properly tightened before I put her in

-The shoulder straps don't "lay" nicely...it takes some maneuvering to get them aligned with the webbing properly and curving nicely over and around my shoulders.

- part of the shoulder straps not laying nicely is the webbing that the chest/back clip is threaded on bunches up.

-one side of the side webbing (where the baby's leg goes under) is twisted around like it wasn't threaded right, so it doesn't lay flat, if that makes sense. is it possible for me to unthread and redo this without messing anything up?

Help! What am I doing wrong?? I thought SCCs were supposed to be easy like throw them on, everything stays in the right place, no fiddling, nothing bunching up, etc. Kinda regretting my purchase but REALLY want to make this carrier work for us.

Advertisement

loving being a stay at home wife to DH (married 4/11/09) and mommy to DD1 (10/4/10) and little DD2 (5/30/12) and expecting baby #3 in March!

Last edited by graceworks; 12-27-2012 at 02:07 PM.
graceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
Gardyloo
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaelise
So I just got a used beco butterfly. I really really really want to love it. I love it once baby is in it and everything in situated, it is SO comfy and really easy to move her onto my back. But then getting in and getting situated process is weird...can someone give me tips?

-Buckling the back clip is impossible once baby is in the carrier, am I supposed to do this ahead of time?

-It is hard to stick the baby's legs under those straps to seat her in the carrier...am I doing something wrong? should those be all the way loosened to start?

-Once she's in, I feel like i have to scrunch her up and pull hard to get the front buckles buckled, but if I loosen them, they are near impossible to tighten once baby is in the carrier (unless someone knows a trick for this) so I have to have it properly tightened before I put her in

-The shoulder straps don't "lay" nicely...it takes some maneuvering to get them aligned with the webbing properly and curving nicely over and around my shoulders.

- part of the shoulder straps not laying nicely is the webbing that the chest/back clip is threaded on bunches up.

-one side of the side webbing (where the baby's leg goes under) is twisted around like it wasn't threaded right, so it doesn't lay flat, if that makes sense. is it possible for me to unthread and redo this without messing anything up?

Help! What am I doing wrong?? I thought SCCs were supposed to be easy like throw them on, everything stays in the right place, no fiddling, nothing bunching up, etc. Kinda regretting my purchase but REALLY want to make this carrier work for us.
I've had a lot of the same issues as you! It took me a long time to love my Beco due to the way it needs to be adjusted, but I think I've mostly got it figured out. And I find myself grabbing it more and more.

-Yes, definitely clip the back clip before putting it on. I believe Beco recommends this. Way easier!

-Yes, I think you should loosen those straps to get baby in. They are pretty easy to adjust once baby is in. I think doing so may solve your next problem, too.

-Those top buckles are one of the things that drive me crazy about the Beco. They are a total PITA to adjust. Definitely have them adjusted ahead of time. And yes, you do really have to pull to get them buckled. It might help to tighten the underarm straps AFTER those are buckled.

-Not sure what to tell you about this issue, I have it, too. Also, the panel that goes between me and baby never lays flat either. Drives me nuts! Maybe try lowering the chest clip so that it hits more mid-back level.

-Yes, you should definitely fix that. Not sure how it gets that way, but I've had it happen with other ssc's, so not just a Beco issue.

It wouldn't hurt to watch a few YouTube videos either. Nothing like seeing it in action. Good luck! I hope you end up loving your Beco. And if not, you can always sell it and try something else!

Last edited by Gardyloo; 12-28-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Gardyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
graceworks
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: help! I need some beco butterfly tips

This was really helpful! I have been implementing your tips and its working much better and I'm getting the hang of it.

However my neck and upper back hurts in it! what am I doing wrong? Also when I where it on my front My baby is so high up in it, like I could kiss her on the lips and I can't really see around her. That's at my waist...am I supposed to put it like on top of my hip bones instead? Maybe my body is weirdly shaped.
loving being a stay at home wife to DH (married 4/11/09) and mommy to DD1 (10/4/10) and little DD2 (5/30/12) and expecting baby #3 in March!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
laila
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Recommend YouTube videos as well.

What helped me is to adjust upper back strap and leave it buckled. Put it on over your head and buckle waist strap before putting baby in. I usually don't mess with settings at all, other than to tighten back strap once baby is in and buckle shoulder straps. Never had a twisting issue? Baby's head does come up pretty high, but I prefer it. Once you wear it around and baby gets heavier, it tends to work itself down to below chin. I'm short though at 5'5". You can loosen the area where baby is in with the side buckles if you want to force baby lower.

I hope you get the hang of it. It's my husbands and my fav choice as a carrier past the newborn stage. We used the Moby D for the tiny, tiny stage. ;-)

Oh, for the upper back pain, that usually means your back strap isn't tight enough. For me, the tighter it is, the better it feels.

Last edited by laila; 01-03-2013 at 12:58 PM.
laila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
graceworks
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: help! I need some beco butterfly tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by laila View Post
Recommend YouTube videos as well.

What helped me is to adjust upper back strap and leave it buckled. Put it on over your head and buckle waist strap before putting baby in. I usually don't mess with settings at all, other than to tighten back strap once baby is in and buckle shoulder straps. Never had a twisting issue? Baby's head does come up pretty high, but I prefer it. Once you wear it around and baby gets heavier, it tends to work itself down to below chin. I'm short though at 5'5". You can loosen the area where baby is in with the side buckles if you want to force baby lower.

I hope you get the hang of it. It's my husbands and my fav choice as a carrier past the newborn stage. We used the Moby D for the tiny, tiny stage. ;-)

Oh, for the upper back pain, that usually means your back strap isn't tight enough. For me, the tighter it is, the better it feels.
Thank you! I will try tightening the back strap. This being my first SSC I don't really "get" what its supposed to feel like and I feel awkward with all the buckles and straps etc. Thanks!!! Complicated compared to my ring sling but I thought it'd be easier!