Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My sister is getting married Sunday and the dress she ordered for me is impossible to nurse in. How would you alter this dress so I could nurse in it easily? I was thinking if I roped the seems that attach the front part of the strap to the back and then did something with Velcro or snaps it might work. I want to be able to just flip down the top and nurse with a cover. My mother and sister think i should just leave the room and go somewhere that i can undress. Rude...but thats another isdue. What would you do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-74820439.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	128330   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1871922917.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	128331  

Advertisement

Last edited by MandaMommy2; 12-27-2012 at 05:43 PM.
MandaMommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: How would you alter this dress to nurse in?

I see two options depending on how fitted or tight the dress is.

The first thing I thought was to add snap to the shoulder seem. Then have it function similar to a nursing bra. Making sure to add some fabric to keep the back in place. A jacket to cover while nursing would be nice.

The other thought was to put short zippers into the under arm seem. This way you can just unzip the side you are nursing on and pop out the side. If the dress is pretty snug though this one may not work. A jacket again would better allow discreet nursing.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko
I see two options depending on how fitted or tight the dress is.

The first thing I thought was to add snap to the shoulder seem. Then have it function similar to a nursing bra. Making sure to add some fabric to keep the back in place. A jacket to cover while nursing would be nice.

The other thought was to put short zippers into the under arm seem. This way you can just unzip the side you are nursing on and pop out the side. If the dress is pretty snug though this one may not work. A jacket again would better allow discreet nursing.
I don't sew very well so I think having the top flip down like a nursing bra would be easier for me to do. The dress is really awkward on me to begin with. I wish my grandmother was going to be here to take it in, but my sister announced that she was getting married two weeks ago so were all scrambling. They order my dress two sizes big to accommodate my bustline so they rest of the dress looks frumpy on me.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
mamacita
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So sorry, mama! I agree, I think going from the top is the best idea.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #5
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

The only problem with going from the top is then everything from the top down will be exposed. So baby 's head will cover your breast but your shoulder and bra strap will be visible. I hope that makes sense it is hard to describe. So coming from the side would be more descrite while you nurse but if you are just going to use a blanket/ cover and you want easy access it won't matter. I only bring this up because I made one from the top and didn't think about this until I was in public nursing. There really is no casual way to cover your shoulder and bra strap while nursing yet looking normal.Lol
Old 12-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
lorilynnmn
"It's for the poopies"
seller

My Mood:

I second the zipper from the side if you are able to do that. Is there an inexpensive tailor in your area?? They might have some other ideas. I am afraid with unsnapping the top it will leave you really exposed...
lorilynnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilynnmn
I second the zipper from the side if you are able to do that. Is there an inexpensive tailor in your area?? They might have some other ideas. I am afraid with unsnapping the top it will leave you really exposed...
I wish I had time to take it to a seamstress my husbands friend knows. She did the alterations for the girls dresses for my wedding and only charged $20. But she is elderly and works very part time so she wouldn't be able to get it done in time. I just told my sister that I'm altering the dress and she flipped out but I just told her that it was unfair to make me sit in another room for most of the night so I can feed my daughter. LO usually takes 45 minutes to an hour to eat so its not a quickie thing. Now she is going to do the alterations so I'm glad. I've given her all of your wonderful ideas and she's going to figure it out. I kind of feel bad but she doesn't want me to do it myself so there's nothing I can do. If all else fails I have a black cocktail dress with a v-neck criss cross neckline that would be perfect for nursing. Thank you for all of your help ladies. For the sake of time apparently she is going to use Velcro or snaps on the sleeves and have me wear a sweater. I also use a cover, but I would have liked to have the zippers maybe if there was more time.