Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
MTK
Registered Users
seller

UPDATE - Order not received as expected - need advice

UPDATE: Good news! Mail carrier came back later, this time with my package! That was an unexpected but pleasant surprise. So now I DO have the item, and while it is still not the color requested, at least I can inspect the quality, etc., and show it to my friend in person so she can decide if she likes this color or prefers asking for the offered color exchange.

Thanks for the input you ladies gave in the meantime!
----

Hi ladies! I need some advice on what is fair to ask of a wahm seller (on Etsy) since my order wasn't fulfilled to my expectations.

The short version: I ordered a wahm item off of Etsy and it didn't arrive by the agreed deadline. Also the seller has said she shipped a different color than the one I asked for even though I said not to ship if the color I wanted was not in stock without contacting me first. What to do now?

The long version: This was a gift purchased for a baby shower being held locally - the expectant mama otherwise lives 600 miles away. The item/fabric/color was all specifically identified in an online registry with a link to the exact item on Etsy.

I bought the item on Dec. 6 with instructions that if the selected color was not available, do not fill the order but to let me know right away what colors were available. I added that this was a gift needed before Dec. 29th. The reply I received from the seller was that she believed that she had plenty of that fabric/color in stock and she could get my order out in a timely manner.

I asked for an update on Dec. 22 as to when I could expect the item to arrive and I then noticed the invoice now indicated the item was shipped on Dec. 17. Her site says to expect US orders to arrive in 6-9 days so I figured I had my answer. On Dec. 26, however, the seller replied and said that she had an issue with the color I asked for and has instead shipped me a different color so that I would still have a gift to give. She offered to pay for return shipping if I want to send it back for a change in color.

Well, it is now the 28th and the mail just arrived without any sign of my order so now I do not have ANY gift to give as opposed to one that is in an unexpected color. I have three issues with this transaction. !) I asked that I be contacted prior to filling the order if the specified color was not in stock (which ultimately it appears it was not despite early indications it was). 2) I was not notified of the switch until after I had reached out for an update. And if I had re-read the invoice first, I would have seen the info I was looking for and probably would not have reached out at all so I'm left to wonder what would have I been told (or when) if I had not sent the follow up message. And keep in mind her update wasn't sent until 3 days before I needed the gift. And then most importantly 3) I did not receive any version of my order by the specified deadline.

At this point I expect he order will arrive post-party and I will send it back for the correct color and ask the item be shipped directly to the mama. Would it be fair to request a discount (how much?) since the order was not originally fulfilled as requested? What would you do in this situation?

Advertisement

Last edited by MTK; 12-28-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: added update
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

Re: Order not received as expected - need advice

I think her paying for you to ship it back and then her to ship the correct one to the new mom would be fair. If she gets it right this time, I don't know if I would ask for a discount. If she offers one, or if she offers to send something else as an extra, that would make me very happy and much more likely to do business with her again in the future. But as long as she makes it right, I probably wouldn't push it any farther.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree her "making it right" would normally be enough....BUT now I am not sure I would trust her. If she sends it directly to the new mama then you have no way of knowing if it was the right color. quality, size etc....and most likely the new mam would NOT complain about something that was a gift nor would she even know what was supposed to be included. I would say you want the new item sent to YOU so it can be inspected and wrapped how you want it wrapped (maybe even a little fib about needing to a after the other gift items to it)...and then ask for some compensation for you now having to send it after the party. Not sure if the seller owuld agree but I would prefer to see the item before having it sent.

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i would send back and cancel the order all together. Choose something else to gift OR if the mom REALLY wants this item, ask if a gift code could be given for that item.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
anniekins1488
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr2410 View Post
i would send back and cancel the order all together. Choose something else to gift OR if the mom REALLY wants this item, ask if a gift code could be given for that item.
This exactly. My patience would already be at an end with this seller.

Swag with me! I earn $25 in Amazon gift cards every month with very little effort! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Anniekins1488
anniekins1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: UPDATE - Order not received as expected - need advice

I would send it back and ask for a refund. I would explain to your friend what happened and get her a gift card.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is online now   Reply With Quote